Post track session advice - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Exclamation Post track session advice

I hit the track 2nd time yesterday. First time was last month going on slow and learning on positioning. Yesterday was much more fun as concentration was to find better lines and pushing slightly along the bend. A friend of mine took my timing and the timing was improving and improving. However, this is what happened that I quit and call it a day.

1. Few times my front tire slipped while negotiating the bend initially I thought it the side walls that cannot take or grip the tarmac. (Btw, this i realise during my first session. So not much speed involved thus bike didnt low side)

2. Yesterday, as i was riding slightly harder and getting my lines, i finally realised that its true that my front tire seriously cannot grip the tarmac. I noticed the following

- upon diving into the corner, front feels light. No feedback or solid traction.
- into the corner on a hard dip, it feels like Im riding a bicycle with little air in the front tyre causing it to "squeeze" and slip as i was cornering.
- in the corner, as i leaned more and more, the front side walls are giving away
- tire wear: rear tire side wall used up all the way
front tire side wall theres chicken strip almost 1 inch

So need experts to give me an advice, issit a tire issue or front fork set up.

Kinda confuse, coz rear tire is ok and i've adjust my rear shocks to the guidelines for a suspension setup and it feels great. I've been reading in this forum that wheel spin here and there and blaming the tire.

Last edited by moombaz; 10-23-2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F
Re: Post track session advice

What tires and pressures? Get your suspension set up by the tech at the track or a local shop. Any pics or videos?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

what year bike? What size tires???

Sounds like a geometry and damping issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 AM
I eat my R6

Don't worry about the unused strip on the front... when when I was using 120/180 I would run out the entire rear but had a little left on the front. Now I'm using 125/200 and I'll be dragging bodywork before I reach the edge of either tire.

But sounds like a suspension/geometry setup, as already mentioned. I experienced this nose-dive and slide feeling with a shitty web-based "recommended suspension settings".

Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

Custom Leather & Vinyl

Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards

Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike is a 2012 r6
Stock oem q2 tires
Stock forks and shocks
Tire pressure 29front 29rear

What's a geometry issue? A local shop can only set my front and rear sag. About compression and rebound, how would they know what to set unless they were to tag along with me to track and I can give them my feedback. That's why I followed those shitty web-based recommended setup and I adjust accordingly on my riding feel. For my forks I didn't really adjust. I only adjusted the sag for my rear shocks and based on my riding feel I adjusted my rear rebound and compression.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moombaz View Post
Bike is a 2012 r6
Stock oem q2 tires
Stock forks and shocks
Tire pressure 29front 29rear

What's a geometry issue? A local shop can only set my front and rear sag. About compression and rebound, how would they know what to set unless they were to tag along with me to track and I can give them my feedback. That's why I followed those shitty web-based recommended setup and I adjust accordingly on my riding feel. For my forks I didn't really adjust. I only adjusted the sag for my rear shocks and based on my riding feel I adjusted my rear rebound and compression.
The OEM tires are horrible. That's an issue there to start. But it's not like you can't get around on them.

29 PSI may be too low for those tires. I don't really know any recommended pressure to tell you cause the only person I know who ran em at the track was Steve/picpocket until he low sided and never ran em again.

Geometry chnages occur when you move the forks in the triple clamp or add or remove the shim on the rear shock, etc.

What's your weight and what was the setup you got online?

How many steps up the clicker is the rear preload from the lowest point?

I'm sure the front not being planted has a lot to do with your rebound as well. If you've never touched it and it's new, it's gonna be way to fast on the rebound. Every OEM R6 I've bounced is super fast on the front rebound. The valving is so close to being incorrect for the OEM springs that you will almost always end up with it set all the way slow and 1-2 clicks in cause you don't wanna run any adjustment all the way.

A local shop, or you and a couple pals should set your sag. Then you go from there. Nobody has a perfect setup and everyone sets up the bike differently. There's plenty of very reputable people I've seen setup an R6 and try and put the front forks flush in hopes for more trail, etc. Then the bike just runs crazy wide on the exits of turns, but people wouldn't have tried it if it didn't work for someone's bike at some point in time....

Regardless, if you're front end is very low and the rear of the bike is very high, whether it be sag or ride height, you will find yourself running out of rear tire and having plenty left on the front.

It's been said that you eliminate your rear chicken strips by riding fast through turns, etc and you eliminate the front ones by braking into and in turns. It's not 1005 true, but the part about braking into turns forces the front lower on the bike, changes the geometry and you use the whole tire..

But like Azim said, don't worry about your chicken strips unless it's a situation like this where the front vs rear is drastically different. It's hard to use an entire front tire to begin with, so don't sweat if you have a tiny bit left eventually once you set the bike up correctly.

And rider feedback is the most important factor to a bike setup whether it be suspension, engine tuning, tires, etc.. A good baseline is where you start and from there on, it's primarily rider feedback, reading tire wear, and times....

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Y(o_o)Y

Bike: 05' R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

And rider feedback is the most important factor to a bike setup whether it be suspension, engine tuning, tires, etc.. A good baseline is where you start and from there on, it's primarily rider feedback, reading tire wear, and times....
Great post Chief, and especially this
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 R6 l Track

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

OEMs are Q2s or qualifiers?? I hated the OEM qualifiers... and they felt skiddish at any pressure
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Ride Safely

Bike: 2008 YZF R6

Stock tires are the Qualifiers.....when i first got my bike didnt feel safe at all so i got me a set of the Q2s felt alot safer and more grip and that was for street use.... now after hitting the track Q2s aren`t the best eighter.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
OEMs are Q2s or qualifiers?? I hated the OEM qualifiers... and they felt skiddish at any pressure

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in