Critique requested (video) - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
return to target

Critique requested (video)

2nd track day on a new (to me) 2004 r6 that is essentially stock. Would like some critique on getting faster, I know the bike can go...it's just me.

First lap is just following a co-worker on his r1 then I stepped it up.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Critique requested (video)

it's tough following slower riders that you are unsure of what they might do, but less on-off the gas. This will be easier once you ride with faster riders and are not running up on slower riders all the time. Off the gas to an apex, then once you open the gas or rolling on from a "maintenance throttle" it should keep opening, never rolling off again once you are exiting a corner.. but overall you are nice and SMOOTH. Very few steering inputs, even when you have a rider in front and you look for a way around. you have no idea how important that is gonna be as you move from 1:30+- lap times to the 1:25 range and lower.

t11. later apex so you are upright much sooner. That 2nd gen bike has LOTS of midrange power. 2nd gear out of there is awesome.

t1. enter the corner a bit faster hitting your first apex marker inside.. drift out like you do (that is ideal, ya got that part right).. but you are too early opening the gas and it runs you wide.. sometimes i hear you opening the gas just after you pass the 1st apex of this double apex turn. thus you were far off the 2nd inside apex marker as you exit turn 1. Usually riders are slow to get on the gas, that is a hard problem to overcome.. be thankful you have the opposite problem. that is a good thing.. The bike will turn off the throttle much easier, once you are mid track and you spot that 2nd apex marker, start rolling it on as you stand the bike up.

i have a million laps around that track since 02, but no point in throwing a bunch of stuff at once. It is always easier to go to a tack again and work on a couple things at a time, not every corner..

gearing when i race my 03, 04 and a pair of 05's.. was 15/47 with a 180 tire. 15/48 (so -1 in front) with a 190 tire.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 12-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
return to target

Thanks for the advice. I try not to let up on throttle once I get on it, don't want to upset the suspension in turns, but it's hard coming up behind someone especially if I don't know how they ride. Last month, I swear a guy hit his brakes going into t2 and I almost ended up in his tailpipe.

I see what you mean in t11...trying to straighten out that turn would increase exit speed that way. Also, I realized t1 was double apex, but never thought to wait until the apex of the bike's trajectory to roll on throttle...it makes a lot of sense plus I can increase entry speed because I would be waiting to apply throttle.

Gearing is going to stay stock (with that massive chain from the factory) for a while since this is very much a budget bike. Need to save that money for tires and track fees.

Any chance you'll be there on the 29th?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1m3 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I try not to let up on throttle once I get on it, don't want to upset the suspension in turns, but it's hard coming up behind someone especially if I don't know how they ride. Last month, I swear a guy hit his brakes going into t2 and I almost ended up in his tailpipe.

I see what you mean in t11...trying to straighten out that turn would increase exit speed that way. Also, I realized t1 was double apex, but never thought to wait until the apex of the bike's trajectory to roll on throttle...it makes a lot of sense plus I can increase entry speed because I would be waiting to apply throttle.

Gearing is going to stay stock (with that massive chain from the factory) for a while since this is very much a budget bike. Need to save that money for tires and track fees.

Any chance you'll be there on the 29th?
nope, won't be there on 29th. will be in Wyoming visiting family till new years.. dang it's gonna be cold
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

do this
:

Vid from a few years back at JGP on my 05r6 (same engine as your 04 just lil' faster as it's a supersport build/race gas)

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6

Were you there the entire weekend pr1m3?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
return to target

Nope, just Saturday. I'm headed back next weekend pending weather though.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6

Happen to have any video from the morning in intermediate? I was on a blue/yellow r6. Wondering if you got me on video by any chance.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
return to target

I remember seeing your bike there, I'll have to check to see if I have any footage.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
return to target

Well I put your advice to use best I could...I don't know if I was in the wrong group, or everyone else was in the wrong group yesterday. Kept running up on traffic going considerably slower. I ended up running consistent 28s on a rear tire that kept spinning and sliding.

At the end of the day, a fast guy (19-20s) bumped down into my group because his tires were going and gave me a tow. Gave me some pointers before we went out and showed me his line, I have no doubt I would've shaved another 2 seconds or more off if I had some more laps behind him. Unfortunately by that time I was sliding around almost every corner and decided to call it a day before I ended up in the grass. Only got about a lap and a half behind him, but was still running a 28 with WAY less effort.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1m3 View Post
Well I put your advice to use best I could...I don't know if I was in the wrong group, or everyone else was in the wrong group yesterday. Kept running up on traffic going considerably slower. I ended up running consistent 28s on a rear tire that kept spinning and sliding.

At the end of the day, a fast guy (19-20s) bumped down into my group because his tires were going and gave me a tow. Gave me some pointers before we went out and showed me his line, I have no doubt I would've shaved another 2 seconds or more off if I had some more laps behind him. Unfortunately by that time I was sliding around almost every corner and decided to call it a day before I ended up in the grass. Only got about a lap and a half behind him, but was still running a 28 with WAY less effort.
ya know the sell Michelin tires RIGHT THERE at the track right
Don't skimp on tires..
Yes, having a tow is often much easier. Especially from someone that knows the track very well. Pay attention to reference points they use. Turn in points, apexes, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in