Learning a new bike... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Bike: 2007 R6-Race
Learning a new bike...

I wanted to hear from the more experienced guys about any step by step procedures for learning a new bike at the track. I am pretty familiar with the track I am going to and have decent lines, obviously my braking points may change some. Basic suspension setting will already be dialed in for my weight. I plan to take it easy for a the first few sessions, probably keep it in 2/3 gear for a while just getting a feel for things.

What else should I do? I'd like to be more systematic about my approach than I have been in the past. I've become comfortable with my Triumph but honestly this will be the first time throwing a leg over a R6
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PS I bought the bike front a expert racer who has it set up (at least for his style) at this track so gearing for example should be set....hopefully lol

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
Re: Learning a new bike...

Take it easy to start, ride about 70% pace and continue to up your pace as you become comfortable with the dynamics of the new bike.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Most track day organizations usually have 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, fast mo-fo's...if you're running a middle group class, I'd even ask if you can run the first session of the day in the beginner group. It would take a lot of mental stress off me, anyways. You'll learn a ton about the bike in just a session.

Learning a new bikes habits is just like learning a new girlfriend. Yeah, she may look a little different, may feel a bit lighter or heavier...but the controls are all the same.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
Most track day organizations usually have 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, fast mo-fo's...if you're running a middle group class, I'd even ask if you can run the first session of the day in the beginner group. It would take a lot of mental stress off me, anyways. You'll learn a ton about the bike in just a session.

Learning a new bikes habits is just like learning a new girlfriend. Yeah, she may look a little different, may feel a bit lighter or heavier...but the controls are all the same.

lmao!

Yeah It should be open sessions with a pretty empty track due to the colder temps and should be plenty of fast guys to tow me around.

I guess I always feel like I'm thinking about to many things every time I'm out there. My BP, my lines, braking point, is the bike tracking the way I want, hows the front end feel, is the rear slideing, were can I role on throttle ect, so like 5-6 things when really my brain is only good for about 1 thing at a time
. I guess I just wish I could prioritize better. I know my BP is shyte so I will be working on being more consistant with that. A big part of this weekend is to get a subjective feel for the Yami VS the Triumph and of course shave 10 seconds of my lap times

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451

Last edited by tuscani451; 01-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

if you can't afford to fix a bike you crash at the track, dont ride it. Or tip toe around like I did on my buddies S1000RR with all the bells and whistles. This one has more on it then his HP4 he just got

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscani451 View Post
lmao!

Yeah It should be open sessions with a pretty empty track due to the colder temps and should be plenty of fast guys to tow me around.

I guess I always feel like I'm thinking about to many things every time I'm out there. My BP, my lines, braking point, is the bike tracking the way I want, hows the front end feel, is the rear slideing, were can I role on throttle ect, so like 5-6 things when really my brain is only good for about 1 thing at a time
. I guess I just wish I could prioritize better. I know my BP is shyte so I will be working on being more consistant with that. A big part of this weekend is to get a subjective feel for the Yami VS the Triumph and of course shave 10 seconds of my lap times
I get the same way. I usually only focus on one group every session - braking points, rolling on the throttle quicker, passing, etc. I can also only process one thought at a time. Gotta follow the KISS principle. Always.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
if you can't afford to fix a bike you crash at the track, dont ride it. Or tip toe around like I did on my buddies S1000RR with all the bells and whistles. This one has more on it then his HP4 he just got

Oh I crash and fix every weekend it feels like lol, I'd just like to feel like I'm progressing instead of crashing all the time with no improvment. Sweet bike though, rode a S1000RR at Code's school-LOVED it

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
My R6 eats me.

I feel ya. I started riding track on my 600rr and I LOVE everything about how it feels. I'm building an R6 as a dedicated track bike currently so I'm definitely nervous about how it's going to turn out since I've never been on an outside of an 05s.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

2009 Honda CBR-600RR- Street
2008 Yamaha R6- Track
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven

Just go out and have fun Leif! You talking about February when we're all going out, or before then?

RIP Richard Bishop. You're a great friend and someone I will never forget.
MY TRACK BUILD THREAD

MY TRACK DAY THREAD

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in