Tire wear, dont understand this - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Tire wear, dont understand this

This is the front tyre off a 08 R6, Diablo supercorsa SC2, cold 28psi, hot +6 psi
Shocks are ohlins 30mm cartridges, zip tie is about half inch from the bottom of the fork.

Laptime is about 2.26 in sepang, which is not fast by any means. I did not carry the brakes into the corner, maybe on one/two turns will use a finger to put some pressure on the lever, but it's definitely not hard braking while leaning.

Rear tyre looks great, nice and smooth.

However, the front looks like this

This shows the roughest section, and note the weird discontinuity from the groove/thread area.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rotate the tyre half a round, and it doenst seem that bad. These pics were taken at the same time, the bike didnt go out anymore after that.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Left hand side looks okay.

This happened after we increase the preload by two turns and added two clicks on the compression.
We backed off the setting afterwards and the tyre still looked the same, in fact it got worst. No other setup or riding style change.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM

Re: Tire wear, dont understand this

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I eat my R6

were you using warmers

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM
I eat my R6

Because they're Pirellis? j/k

You've got to be running like hell to even think you're getting +6 psi after a session (or you need to buy a proper tire gauge). and you said yourself your pace isn't fast by any means. You're getting some insane tearing due to tire pressure issues. Even though there's a slight change in PSI, the overall tire temperature would change drastically.

And, even IF you are, 34 in the front is way too high. And all that tearing could be from the start of the session, until you get up to normal operating temp (assuming you actually are, and not exceeding it). Showing a picture of your rear tire will also give us a better idea of the pace your running...

BTW... the weird discontinuity of the patterns is an indicate of throttle on-off/adjustments mid turn. Even if you think you aren't, you probably aren't noticing it. If you were on the throttle continuously through the whole turn, that pattern would be continuous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom Leather & Vinyl

Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards

Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Last edited by Mr. Azim; 01-15-2013 at 09:18 AM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

What was the ambient temp at the track? Was the pavement getting direct sunlight or was it cloudy? I usually get +4 PSI rise out of a Pirelli SC2 front from cold to hot off the track at race pace, but I always use warmers. You MIGHT get +6 PSI if you went from cold pressure @ 35 degrees F to hot off the track at race pace. It looks like minor cold-tearing. It sounds like you dropped your pace because of the suspension changes...I've never really seen preload cause that type of problem. An inch of remaining travel is too much. How many turns of preload are you running? Was it difficult to get the bike to turn into the corner?

CVMA #12, WERA #12
2013 CVMA Champ - Middleweight Shootout, MW Supersport, and Formula MW
Pirelli - InHouse Suspension - Racer's Edge - CT Racing - TrackDaz - ACT Racing - Valley Office Equipment - MC Pro Design - Galfer - Sidi - Shoei Helmets
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliceRacing View Post
What was the ambient temp at the track? Was the pavement getting direct sunlight or was it cloudy? I usually get +4 PSI rise out of a Pirelli SC2 front from cold to hot off the track at race pace, but I always use warmers. You MIGHT get +6 PSI if you went from cold pressure @ 35 degrees F to hot off the track at race pace. It looks like minor cold-tearing. It sounds like you dropped your pace because of the suspension changes...I've never really seen preload cause that type of problem. An inch of remaining travel is too much. How many turns of preload are you running? Was it difficult to get the bike to turn into the corner?
I guess the day started with 27/28c and got to 30/31c by mid noon.
slightly cloudy day, but you'll still sweat like a wet towel in gear just standing.

Shock marker is half inch from the bottom, first picture shows it.

Yes, +5psi sometimes +6 is from COLD (as in filled up last night and checked in the morning cold) to just back in from a hot lap (without cooldown lap).

Pace actually improved, mainly on braking, but elsewhere, cornering out and the big sweepers should be about same pace. We added the preload and damping because the bike was diving in too fast and tail wagging on braking, and I'm not confident enough to "relax and just let it do its thing".

One benefit is that I now like how the bike just drops into the corner at low speed flip flops. Sepang turn 1 to 2 and 9 to 10 requires the rider to quickly flip from full lean one side to the other, and this change made it easier somehow.

The minor suspension tweak solved the braking nervousness, but later i realised the issue and adjusted back. It didnt help.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330
That would be cold tear, due to the tire NOT heating up, your pressure is WAY to high ad when you have a higher psi it will fight the heat in the tire and will tear like in the picture. Those tires should be 29-30 HOT. How did the bike feel?

Sent from my iPhone using

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Azim, rears look like this

if there were abrupt throttle modulations, shouldnt it show up in the rear more?
Plus, doubt i can be so rhythmic to match the discontinuity to each and every groove.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
That would be cold tear, due to the tire NOT heating up, your pressure is WAY to high ad when you have a higher psi it will fight the heat in the tire and will tear like in the picture. Those tires should be 29-30 HOT. How did the bike feel?

Sent from my iPhone using

cold tear you need more pressure

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 PM
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50

Anyone care to explain how the tear was only part of the rotation???

Say What??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in