Concerns buying high mileage bike for track duty? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 R6
Concerns buying high mileage bike for track duty?

I'm looking to buy a bike for track duty. I found an '09 with almost 32,000 miles on it. Dealership claims it was owned by an older guy.
Would you hesitate to buy a bike with so many miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM
lolerbaiting

Bike: 2007 YZF-R6
My bike has 32k miles and is an 07. I would see about checking the valves and the other normal wear issues our bikes have....

If its gonna be track only you're probably gonna end up tearing the engine down at some point anyway.

"I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all"- Gen James Mattis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to install Shermoto levers

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Re: Concerns buying high mileage bike for track duty?

At what mileage would a rebuild be recommended?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnut View Post
At what mileage would a rebuild be recommended?
not so much mileage, but do a leakdown and compression test (google these if you don't understand them, covered a bunch though). 15% or more is not good, if you see 10% or more leakdown it could be about time but the bike will run fine but you will have power loss. 5% leak down is pretty darn good but expert racers would consider getting ready to rebuild. 2% is what you would expect to see on a fresh rebuilt engine. (rings, valves, seats cut)
You also want to see compression pretty even between cylinders. 185psi is MINIMUM spec per the manual on a 3rd gen bike.

Mileage is ambiguous too, street mileage is gonna have way less wear per mile vs. racing duty (assuming both maintain the machine, change oil etc).
I hear about bikes with over 50,000 street miles, no major engine issues.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

That makes sense. I should have thought of that myself...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was looking at spare engines on eBay just for kicks. It would be nice to have one to tinker with while riding the other.

With any luck I can finagle a deal from the sandbox and have this bike waiting for me when I get back.

Thanks for the info Melk-man.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
That makes sense. I should have thought of that myself...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was looking at spare engines on eBay just for kicks. It would be nice to have one to tinker with while riding the other.

With any luck I can finagle a deal from the sandbox and have this bike waiting for me when I get back.

Thanks for the info Melk-man.
this is the time to look about on some roadrace forums like WERA/CCS, Jenningsgp, etc and look at the used race bikes for sale. Ready to go is often not bad when you consider the cost/time of race prepping a machine. don't rule out the 2nd gen R6. it is a VERY capable race bike for everyone but those fighting for top 5-10 expert wins. and in the rain? i wish i had my 05r6..

stay safe over there ..

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

At one time Jennings was close enough (put in quite a few laps there,
), but now it's clear across the country.
The only issue I have with picking up a pre-build bike is cost. If I can score an '09 for $6500 I can pay cash and slowly aquire parts. I'm not looking to start racing until next year. I just need the essentials for the foreseeable future.
I'm worried a racebike and it's spares/etc. will out of my price range.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
For the price a used race bike is a great idea.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

many 2 year old race bikes (bikes with 2 seasons on em) can be had for $6500+- .. The MOST i ever paid was $14k for an 08 in early 09. At the time there were ZERO 08's available, and everyone KNEW the 06-07 bikes were inferior. that 08 was pretty trick though. low hour ss built motor, YEC ecu, fully dyno tuned and ready to go with some spares and spare set of wheels.
Even if you spend $9k for a GOOD race bike , no way can you be under that if you buy a street bike for $6500. No way. Full exhaust, bodywork, paint, power commander/ignition module, DYNO TIME, clip ons, case covers, brake lines, SUSPENSION!!! Holy f u c k.. no way will you be into that $6500 street bike for under $9k

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Quote:
At one time Jennings was close enough (put in quite a few laps there,
), but now it's clear across the country.
The only issue I have with picking up a pre-build bike is cost. If I can score an '09 for $6500 I can pay cash and slowly aquire parts. I'm not looking to start racing until next year. I just need the essentials for the foreseeable future.
I'm worried a racebike and it's spares/etc. will out of my price range.
In November 12, I picked up a 2009 R6 race built for $6200. Ohlins cartridges and shock, motion pro throttle, brembo master cylinder, ss lines, woodcraft clip ons/rearsets/case covers, pcIII, full Akrapovic Ti exhaust, Marchesini Mag wheels. If you're patient and look often you can pick up a good deal on a used race bike that already has the bells and whistles.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in