Racing Tips? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Racing Tips?

Supp folks! I'll be racing this weekend for the first time and wanted to see if anbody who has raced before has any tips? Such as starting off the grid, going into the first corner with all the traffic, launches etc...

I don't really know what to expect but will be attending a race school the day before provided by the org but just wanted some insight from others here on the forum. Possibly past experiences, lessons learned and chit.

I'm not super fast, but A-Group worthy here in the West coast if that says anything.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm not gonna be pissy if I don't podium finish as I want to experience this and to better more my riding competitively.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Don't crash. Best tip lol
Srs tho in for answers

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Re: Racing Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Don't crash. Best tip lol
Srs tho in for answers

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

CVMA! I'm hoping to get licensed out there at some point this year. I'm super slow though - so should be interesting.

Go fast! Don't crash! Have fun!

I wanna hear how your weekend goes though.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
I eat my R6

This was my first race evar, and there was a massive crash in the first turn -

Needless to say it was pretty eye opening.

For your first race, just treat it like a trackday so you at least finish and can get rid of provisional status (if your series does that)

Launches take practice, everyone has their sweet spot/technique.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
CVMA! I'm hoping to get licensed out there at some point this year. I'm super slow though - so should be interesting.

Go fast! Don't crash! Have fun!

I wanna hear how your weekend goes though.

Yup! CVMA! Ttaking the NRS on Friday. Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
This was my first race evar, and there was a massive crash in the first turn -

Needless to say it was pretty eye opening.

For your first race, just treat it like a trackday so you at least finish and can get rid of provisional status (if your series does that)

Launches take practice, everyone has their sweet spot/technique.

Yeah, I'm gonna be relaxed and I'm competitive, but not where I become all pissed off and shiit. It's my first race, I just don't wanna be last.

I just wondered how people dice through and go through the first turn with all the traffic. But your vid was like WOAH!

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven

Be fast as fcuk.

Really though, I'm not blisteringly fast, unless I'm between the sheets...

I raced the end of last year, starting off the grid I struggled and played catch up. So the launch is pretty key. Starting out, you won't get the jump on anyone... First race I was in LOW rpm(wasn't REALLY ready to go) so I got a late start and played catch up. Passed a couple people, but didn't podium. The other races I STILL struggled with the race starts. So to sum it up, try, but don't really worry about the launch. Trying to get a good launch with no practice could end up with you looping the bike off the start and nobody wants that. So get it up to 6-8k for the launch and SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY let out the clutch... The ride your own ride. Pass safely, etc. Best thing to do in any race is focus on YOUR line... Holding your lines and getting the best drive out of every corner will have you doing pretty well out there. Drive out is where I beat most guys in my "class".

At the end of the day, go out and have fun with it! Run a GoPro and study what you did wrong and work at it. You're not going to be some AMA racer out of the gates... Nobody is. There will be a learning curve. Don't go out in your first race and go full bore and get yourself hurt. Races ARE intense, and even more fun then trackdays, but the pace overall is TOUGH and much faster then you'll find yourself going during trackdays. There's that added competition that will have you pushing it, so just be careful and have fun!

I raced three times in a day last year at the end of the season and was more exhausted after two 7 lappers, and one 12 lapper then I had ever been after a trackday, or track weekend for that matter. So hydrate and eat lightly all day as well. Keep yourself from fatigueing badly. Being fatigued WHILE racing will end badly for you, and possibly others...

After reading that, keep in mind, I'm no pro, not by any stretch. Just giving you my advice starting out. I plan to race this whole season though. Already took a two day race school and headed out March 9-10 for the season openner. Looking forward to it! You'll have a fcukin blast! Just focus on your ride, your lines, and stay smooth on your inputs... I practically looped mine the second race... You don't want to do that...

RIP Richard Bishop. You're a great friend and someone I will never forget.
MY TRACK BUILD THREAD

MY TRACK DAY THREAD

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I eat my R6

Here's another start for you, it's really not too bad if you get a good start. You will touch elbows at least once this year.

This would've been my second race start ever and again just trying to finish -

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Track=Cocaine

Here's my first race ever last year... as you can see, I was painfully slow... I was amped up, yet scared shitless...

Jump to 3:00 for the race (horrible) start...

As you can see at the first corner, not carrying as much speed as usual, I used my same braking point and entered waaay too slow. So keep that in mind also...

MY TRACK BUILD THREAD

MY TRACK DAY THREAD

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Track=Cocaine

If you jump to 10:00 or right there about you can see I catch up to, and finally pass the guy on the last lap...

So I was in 4th place... Couple guys behind me. Didn't expect to finish first, but God damn it felt good not to be last!

MY TRACK BUILD THREAD

MY TRACK DAY THREAD

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in