FYI: Rear axle castle nut - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
NoAgendaRacing

Bike: none at the moment
FYI: Rear axle castle nut

I had searched all over trying to find the castle nut needed for the rear axle on my 2008 R6, google did manage to find me the answer but it took way more searching than it should so here is what I found.

For the 2008, so I believe it would work 06+, not sure about older models. The DORMAN Axle/Spindle Lock Nut Kit Part Number 05138 works great.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I purchase mine off of eBay, found one for under $7 shipped. You may be able to find them at a local AutoZone or O'Reily's, my local ones did not have them.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**update 4/13/2015 I found the nut on Amazon, with Prime shipping, for <$10. I also changed the link above because O'reily changed up their page, but the new link does a google search and should show multiple sources

The reason you would use this nut is to allow you to drill a hole in the axle and then use a pin to stop the nut from coming loose. You can drill through the OEM nut, but its a pain from what I have read, and some people have drill through the axle at on the threads exposed beyond the OEM nut. Being an aviation maintenance guy since high school, I prefer using a castle nut.

The new nut is a 36mm, as opposed to the OEM nut that is 32mm, so if you don't have one already, you will need a 36mm socket

I am using a quick release pin due to Pit Bull Trailer Restraint System, you could use a cotter pin of any sort.

CCS#193A --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--
--

--

Last edited by nevenelestate; 04-14-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 04/08 R6 Track, FZ8, Vino
Re: FYI: Rear axle castle nut

I picked up one from ebay, will see about drilling my axle this spring. Do you know roughly how many mm in you drilled the hole?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
NoAgendaRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbenedict View Post
I picked up one from ebay, will see about drilling my axle this spring. Do you know roughly how many mm in you drilled the hole?
Not off the top of my head, if the bike was at my house I would measure it for you. I Just installed the new nut, to torque, then marked it with a sharpie. Don't plan to drill at the very base of the pocket, or you might not be able to actually install a pin after it is on the bike, without over tightening it.

Also, USE A DRILL PRESS! The first axle I did i tried doing this with a hand held power drill and the holes didn't really line up. After buying another axle off eBay, I marked the spot to drill then installed the nut onto the removed axle and used that to hold it in the vise for the drill press. that way you can be more certain that the exit hole will align with a slot in the nut.

CCS#193A --
--
--
--
--

--

Last edited by nevenelestate; 01-28-2014 at 11:05 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

There's zero need to buy a new axle nut to safety wire it correctly. I'll take a pic of mine when I get home tonight. Stock one works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 04/08 R6 Track, FZ8, Vino

Thanks for the tip, cheers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Wink Re: FYI: Rear axle castle nut

there is also a PN from a subaru that will work too. I have the part in my toolbox. its a common swap done on R1s.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
There's zero need to buy a new axle nut to safety wire it correctly. I'll take a pic of mine when I get home tonight. Stock one works just fine.
Interested, post a pic when you get a chance. This is the last bit I need wired and I would like to see what others have done.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
NoAgendaRacing

If you want a quicker way to get the nut secured and then unsecured when you need to do a quick stop, then I think this works best. But no, it is not the only way to go about it.

CCS#193A --
--
--
--
--

--

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
I eat my R6

Great info, thanks for sharing; definitely on my to-do list now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Here's what I did. I torqued the nut to the torque spec I wanted, which was 45 ft lbs. Yes I know some will go all "Ehhh mah gawd the factory torque spec is higher than that!!!" Well, piss off, it doesn't need to be that high. I promise.

With that out of the way, I used my spring loaded center punch and marked where I wanted to drill. It's a real mother effer getting the drill bit started "straight", which is at an angle of the surface of the nut. So, I center punched the same spot about 10-15 times to get a dent deep enough to start the drill bit. Obviously, you don't want to start drilling too far down on the flat of the nut itself - otherwise the spring clip will interfere with the axle.

Now, the only thing you'll have to do is also mark the top of the axle on the other side. The reason being, because of where the threads start on the axle. If the axle is "upside down" from where you drilled the nut, the side drilled for the axle nut will be exactly 180 degrees off (Because the axle is upside down). I used my center punch and make 3 indents on the shoulder of the axle. So, when I install it, I just make sure the dots are facing up - and I'm good to go. With only one flat of the nut drilled, I know every time I torque the nut, every time it's in the proper spot to insert the spring clip, I know it's torqued to 45 ft lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	244
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	181242  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in