Dare I attempt a track day? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Bike: 2007 R6 Rossi Replica
Dare I attempt a track day?

Cliff Notes: Expenses arose, I'm poor, do I track a stock Ninja 300 on stock tires?

So back in December I bought myself a Kawasaki Ninja 300 to be the track whore, while the R6 does street duty. I had dumped a bit of money into the R6 to make it a Rossi replica, which I'm just finishing up, and really didn't want to then turn around and take a huge loss making it a track bike ... so, the 300 comes in. Since I've never tracked, and probably have terrible form compared to everyone who does track days, I figure a 300 would also be a great learner bike for the track.

So after acquiring a full set of track gear (Cortech Adrenaline suit, Alpinestars GP Pro gloves, Gaerne GP1 boots), the house then needed some repairs which I wasn't expecting. Brand new refrigerator, new dryer, new roof...etc. Money.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Of course I didn't have that type of money in my back pocket, so I had to finance said repairs. And now I basically live week to week.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Soooo, I was originally planning on doing just 2 track days this year - one in early May, and then the last one in October. Now money is so damn tight, I don't even know if it's possible. (I'm now in the "Sell Anything I don't use around the house" stage)

I'm already apart of TeamProMotion, and the track day will cost me $200. So I'm gonna get that money to attend for the day, and rent a trailer.

Now that you know the back story, here comes the "Dare I Track It?"

The Ninja 300 is on stock rubber. They are IRC-brand tires. Never even heard of them! I planned on getting some Diablo Rosso II's for it, but, where I'll come up with the ~$300 for the tires + install is the problem.

So, question is: would you trust tracking a completely stock 300?

I know many people, including myself, just want to say "Save up till you can afford the tires, and go to the track once the bike is actually track-ready". My only fear is, that once I can get the bike to being "track-ready", I'll have just sat on all the gear (and the bike) for a year and won't use it till next season.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
Fren Tubo Type 2 Lines | Integrated Tail | Rossi Replica Fairings |
OES Frame Sliders | AGG 10000K HIDs
CNC Tomok Mirrors | Lightech Quick Release Gas Cap
| GP Shift Setup | Shorty CNC Levers | Zero Gravity Screen
☼ March 2013 Ride of the Month

Last edited by GenPatton; 03-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Raven
Re: Dare I attempt a track day?

get better tires (q2's they are like $200 a set?), but there are deals all around, and install on the track not in a shop, just bring tires with you usually there are tire guys who change tires for $10 a pop.

tpm has tire machine to change tires... source: personal experience.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Do I trust a stock bike on the track, especially as a beginner? Yes

Is it in your budget is what you have to figure out. Can you afford to throw it in a dumpster at the end of the day?

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post

Is it in your budget is what you have to figure out. Can you afford to throw it in a dumpster at the end of the day?
also a good point
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
get better tires (q2's they are like $200 a set?), but there are deals all around, and install on the track not in a shop, just bring tires with you usually there are tire guys who change tires for $10 a pop.

tpm has tire machine to change tires... source: personal experience.
That's good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post

If by dumpster, you mean, dumping the bike .. if that were to happen, it'd be a slow rebuild to a track-only bike. Would I get it back up and going this year? No. I have bills that will be paid off by the end of the year, so I'd get it back up and going for next year. Granted, if I ride on stock rubber, I'd definitely be more reasonable with how aggressive I try to ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Suk it, Lee

Stock tires for a beginner is fine.

Do it!

Who the hell isn't in debt these days, anyway.

Sent from
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
That's good to know!

If by dumpster, you mean, dumping the bike .. if that were to happen, it'd be a slow rebuild to a track-only bike. Would I get it back up and going this year? No. I have bills that will be paid off by the end of the year, so I'd get it back up and going for next year. Granted, if I ride on stock rubber, I'd definitely be more reasonable with how aggressive I try to ride.
Not quite, by dumpster I mean get whatever scrap value you can out of the bent parts. Frame, engine, swing arm, radiator, etc...

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
I was wrong.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post

Yeah the question wasn't, "Im in debt.. should I not track?" though it may have come off that way.

More so just was nervous about the tires, and wanted to see what you guys thought (Who've actually tracked).

Aiming for the first track day to be May 5th.

Mercenary, I'm hoping I don't total the bike on my first outing. If I do that, I'll just wrap up my track day career right then and there.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Stock tires for a beginner is fine.

Do it!

Sent from

i'm full of shit, I've got debt to my eyeballs and steph's balls to my chin Wha???

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
I was wrong.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

yes.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in