190 GP:A Tires on stock rims? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Top Gun

Bike: 06R6 50th, CBR600RR8
190 GP:A Tires on stock rims?

So, I'm trying to get my 06R6 prepped for WERA Superstock, and I need to make a decision on tires to use. I love the Dunlop Q2's on every bike I own, and I hear good things about the new US made Ntecs, but they don't offer a 180 rear. Is that normal, and should I just go to a 190 or what? Also, opinions welcome on what tire and brand to use, Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, just no Vee Rubber! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Pirelli Supercorsa SP for trackdays, and SC race compounds for races...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Richard Bishop. You're a great friend and someone I will never forget.
MY TRACK BUILD THREAD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY TRACK DAY THREAD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: 190 GP:A Tires on stock rims?

The NTECs aren't offered in 180, only 190 and 200. It's fine switching to a 190, just get your suspension redialed for the fatter tired. I love my NTEC's
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've ran both the UK and American ones.

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Top Gun

Bike: 06R6 50th, CBR600RR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Silaxin View Post
Pirelli Supercorsa SP for trackdays, and SC race compounds for races...

Man, I wish I could afford that. The Pirelli's are gorgeous, but super expensive. I mean, I could buy a whole set of GPA Ntec's for only $30 more than just a Supercorsa rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
The NTECs aren't offered in 180, only 190 and 200. It's fine switching to a 190, just get your suspension redialed for the fatter tired. I love my NTEC's
I've ran both the UK and American ones.
I gotta get my suspension fine tuned anyway, that's not too bad I guess. And I've been using Dunlops for 3 years now. I would think I know the feeling of the tires pretty well, so I didn't necessarily want to switch.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6

The Pirelli sets are $400 a set for race rubber and the US Dunlops the same. The real Ntecs from the UK are over $550!! The US version isn't supposed to be as good of a tire as the UK. The 190 Dunlop is made for our rims and the 200 is made for the liter bikes. As long as its set up properly you should be fine.

I will be riding on the Michelin Cups this year since I had great success on them last year coming off the Pirelli Supercorsa SC. They have the V profile front which I like since I trail brake hard.

James

CCS #720 Expert
2007 R6
TPM COACH #720
Team Pro-Motion Sportbike Club - Trackdays/Races
MRP Motorsports

Moto-D Racing

EVIL Powder Coating
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
You get what you pay for... Tires being The most important thing on that bike, I personally wouldn't skimp... But, just voicing my opinion...

RIP Richard Bishop. You're a great friend and someone I will never forget.
MY TRACK BUILD THREAD

MY TRACK DAY THREAD

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I eat my R6

Everyone will have there choice of tire for their preference. I personally run Bstone R10s. Its my first race tire I switched to for racing and trackdays, but i am sure it is more than enough tire for my skill level.

Find whats best for you. I was in the same situation as not wanting to switch from 180 to 190. So with that, I had to stay away from Dunlop though many guys with 600s love the 190 profile. If you're curious for other tires, give take offs a shot for certain brands before you spend on new rubber that you might not like.

Sent from

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001
fwiw - the gpa isn't an ntec. You're talking about the kr449 ntec slick. Made in USA. Is pretty nice. Blows the gpa away. Still can't beat the uk ntec though. My tire of choice.

(excuse typos, as this was a mobile posting)

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

the us gpa, as agg posted above, is NOT the best tire for the money. the US spec dunlop is "better" than it was (it was a turd), but is still not as good or fast as the UK dunlop. But, as someone posted earlier, you have to pay $550 a set for those and as i understand, you won't be able to get them any more very soon.

Most 600 riders are using 190/55 tires. The actual printed sizes of these rears varies but the size are all roughly a 190 equivelent.. The pirelli is a very good race tire, and if you like a soft carcass tire that may be up your ally. Personall i like a firmer front tire like the michelin or dunlop.

The Michelin CUP is a $400 set that is worth trying. We won a BUNCH of races on that tire this year, lots of championships, etc. The new CUP 190 weighs THREE POUNDS less than the michelin power ONE rear 190/55 and is the lightest rear tire of all brands. The front CUP tire is potentially the best tire in the paddock, and one prominent suspension tuner has said that all year.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

where are you getting CUPS for $400/set?

Running a 190 is no problem just make sure you set up your suspension to compensate for the taller rear tire.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in