Track bike maintenance schedule? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Bike: 2007 R6-Race
Track bike maintenance schedule?

I did a quick r6-forum google search but didnít find anything so forgive me if this has been covered.

I hoped the really experienced guys *cough MELK-MAN, could share their approach or schedule for basic maintenance on their track bike. I had my Daytona for 2 years but we were constantly building/fixing/upgrading things so we did things as we went along. I'd love to have a guide to how often I should be doing certain things. Different people will have different opinions for basics like oil changes, but I'd imagine given the heavy use the components on a race bike see things are probably accelerated

Thanks for your thoughts

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Track bike maintenance schedule?

A lot of it is going to depend on your pace. ie, guys chasing a plate in expert going through a set of tires in a weekend, where as I go through a set of tires in ... a season. Similar situation with fork oil, where top guys change it every few weekends ... I'll do it once a year.

Definitely curious to see if the guys that race seriously have a defined schedule / check list that they go over though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6

Also curious. Reminds me I've got to change my track bike oil lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I eat my R6

Oil change before every track event. Filter every other.

Suspension refreshed every 6 months (off season and mid-season break)

Spark plugs every off season

Chassis maintenance every off season (steering head/swingarm pivot/etc)

Brake fluid bleed/flush every 4-5 weekends or if I feel like it.

New tires every weekend, old race tires used for the following weekend's practice.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

natedog pretty much has it nailed there.. can not tell you how important good tires are. Put off getting a new bike if you are not running new tires every couple of track days.
-good point on changing spark plugs every year or even sooner.. waiting longer could allow the plugs to get seized in the head. no need for expensive plugs. Stock cr10ek plugs do fine.
- I usually go a couple weekends on oil changes or so, but kind of depends on how many laps you get in. I also have 2 race bikes, so duty is shared. I to only change filters every other oil change.
-you could likely go 1x a year on shock service if you do forks every 6 months. The shock doesn't move as much as the forks (forks move 1:1 in travel, shock not as much due to linkage).
-Injector service every year or 2. (we do that
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) You will be running lean enough to cause premature engine wear with even 3-5% fuel flow loss.
-Compression test and leak down test each year. (i rebuild motors each season but the extent of the build can vary)
-Measure stack height of your clutch pack every 6 months or so.. especially if racing (launches). not as important if you are just doing track days and rolling onto the track from pit-out.
-initial coolant flush/change now with Engine Ice, then good for a couple years or so.
-check the air filter each season. A little dirt on it is not a big deal.
-I use NOTHING but wd-40 on my chains. Spray on before we leave, spin wheel with my hand grabbing the chain in my hand with a rag to wipe off excess. no sticky lubes. I have 2 seasons on a current (expensive) chain on 1 bike, and the other is a year old. I have never had one get to the point it was bad, i usually pull em of the rr bike after a couple seasons and run em on the dirt bike till worn ..
-check the voltage at the battery terminals every few months (should read 14vt @ 5krpm)

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 04-17-2013 at 08:21 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
natedog pretty much has it nailed there.. can not tell you how important good tires are. Put off getting a new bike if you are not running new tires every couple of track days.
-good point on changing spark plugs every year or even sooner.. waiting longer could allow the plugs to get seized in the head. no need for expensive plugs. Stock cr10ek plugs do fine.
- I usually go a couple weekends on oil changes or so, but kind of depends on how many laps you get in. I also have 2 race bikes, so duty is shared. I to only change filters every other oil change.
-you could likely go 1x a year on shock service if you do forks every 6 months. The shock doesn't move as much as the forks (forks move 1:1 in travel, shock not as much due to linkage).
-Injector service every year or 2. (we do that
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) You will be running lean enough to cause premature engine wear with even 3-5% fuel flow loss.
-Compression test and leak down test each year. (i rebuild motors each season but the extent of the build can vary)
-Measure stack height of your clutch pack every 6 months or so.. especially if racing (launches). not as important if you are just doing track days and rolling onto the track from pit-out.
-initial coolant flush/change now with Engine Ice, then good for a couple years or so.
-check the air filter each season. A little dirt on it is not a big deal.
-I use NOTHING but wd-40 on my chains. Spray on before we leave, spin wheel with my hand grabbing the chain in my hand with a rag to wipe off excess. no sticky lubes. I have 2 seasons on a current (expensive) chain on 1 bike, and the other is a year old. I have never had one get to the point it was bad, i usually pull em of the rr bike after a couple seasons and run em on the dirt bike till worn ..
-check the voltage at the battery terminals every few months (should read 14vt @ 5krpm)
Good stuff dude. Some things I wonder if they are practicle for someone like me running slow B group pace and some racing. For example, how gnarly is a leak down test and injector service? Also I noticed I was having a hard time getting the bike in to nuetral this weekend, could that be due to clutch stack? I am getting some pretty good jumps on the starts
shifts good otherwise with a quickshifter

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

a compression and leak down test are not expensive and can be done at the same time for the most part (air box out of way and plugs out..) and really should be done at least 1 time before you start hitting the track heavy just so you have an idea of the overall health of the motor.. before it explodes, oiling the track and hurting yourself and maybe others. If it checks out fine, it should be good for a couple seasons of track riding at a "b group" pace with basic maint.
Is it a must do thing ? no. If the bike isn't burning oil, starts and runs strong, etc. the engine is likely good to go.

The neutral thing? i don't know.. too much play in the lever can make it hard to find neutral (but make sure you have enough free play or the clutch will slip and wear fast).

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Sine Labore Nihil

Bike: '08 R6, '15 R1M

Great info guys, thanks for sharing.

#74 Expert

Instructor
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Yes thanks Natedogg/Melk it's very much appreciated

Sent from

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
2008 R6

Bike: 2008 R6

My system is very similar to natedogs just we usually change the oil out at the end of track day while the bikes are still warm.

I get tires pretty cheap so i usually put a new set on ever track day...

Also a Comp test usually at the start of the year.

Last edited by monstar_100; 04-17-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in