Short Rider | Knee Position - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R6
Short Rider | Knee Position

Hey guys,

So I've been experimenting with a lot of body position on my bike, and came across some issues.

I notice the bike rotates/turns a lot easier with my butt back in the seat or a fist's distance away from the tank, but my knees have a much more difficult time locking onto the tank whether I am coming to a hard stop/preparing for a turn. I feel a lot of the difficulty comes from shorter legs than others (my guess), which leads me to locking onto the tank with my actual knees as opposed to knees w/ inner thigh.

I'm curious to see if other short riders have struggled with this issue, and how effective adjustable rearsets have been for those when it comes to an improvement on knee placement.

Thoughts? Suggestions? BTW I'm 5'5"

Thanks!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Illestrait; 04-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I <3 my Piano Bike!

Bike: 2K11 R6 (Raven)
Re: Short Rider | Knee Position

I'm not technically short, put maybe some Stomp Grips may help you with the tank grip.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R6

Ahh I forgot to mention I have stomp grip on the tank and the side tank fairings too. They definitely made a dramatic difference, positively of course, but I still find clamping onto the tank a bit tough when I'm sitting far back into the seat.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illestrait View Post
Hey guys,

So I've been experimenting with a lot of body position on my bike, and came across some issues.

I notice the bike rotates/turns a lot easier with my butt back in the seat or a fist's distance away from the tank, but my knees have a much more difficult time locking onto the tank whether I am coming to a hard stop/preparing for a turn. I feel a lot of the difficulty comes from shorter legs than others (my guess), which leads me to locking onto the tank with my actual knees as opposed to knees w/ inner thigh.

I'm curious to see if other short riders have struggled with this issue, and how effective adjustable rearsets have been for those when it comes to an improvement on knee placement.

Thoughts? Suggestions? BTW I'm 5'5"

Thanks!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm 5"3 and think I can relate to what you are talking about. My experience is that when you sit back in the seat a little bit your arms automatically bend and you are able to push FORWARD on the bars instead of down. This may be why you notice the bike turning a little quicker.

As for having a hard time locking onto the bike when you are coming to a hard stop or a turn, you could try to grip the tank with both knees to prevent you from sliding forward into the tank and losing that "locked on" feeling.

Or you could try a little trick that we teach at the California Superbike School and that is to lift your outside heel and press your toes into the footpeg. This helps to get your knee dug a little tighter into the tank and may help you get that LOCK on that you are looking for.

Anyone else tried this tip

Misti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in