Race bike clutch? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6 Race, 05 R6 Street
Race bike clutch?

Seems like the clutch in my shot. I have heard many things about clutches and racing, so tell me... what kind of replacement clutch plates to get for roadracing? And where is the best place to buy your recommended clutch plates?

Info:
06 r6r
I think some 3 spring slipper clutch mod has been done to it
Use full synthetic race mobil 1 10w40
Always on a budget with racing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6 x2
Re: Race bike clutch?

ive heard many people, mostly at the track just recommend sticking to stock OEM plates, YAMAHA did it right from the get go.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

i would agree that the OEM plates are ideal. there is a current thread on what to get as there are 3 different fibers you buy, as well as optional metal plates to make the stack height correct. Look for that thread. it is on this page i belive still.
EBC makes good clutch kits too. i have raced with those but there are a few different models they offer. pick the one you feel you want/need.
I use Silkolene pro4 10-40 oil. It's marketed as a synthetic, but it and many other "synthetics" are actually blends. They offer a true synthetic but it's even more expensive. I don't know about the mobile oil.. im sure it's fine, just ensure it does not say "ENERGY CONSERVING" in the label on the back as it could have moly additives that could have the clutch slip. Another alternative is the blue label Rotella diesel oil. 5-40. good stuff too.
The cut springs in the clutch will allow the slipper to "slip" a bit more. You must run 1 full spring of the 3. You can cut the other two a little or a lot. But some engine braking is a good thing..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

I ended up with this. Was half the cost of OEM and seemed to be the same material plus aluminum.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edit: And prime is WIN!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Abide.

Bike: '08 R6(R) track/street
Send a message via AIM to Adr3naline fix

The vast majority of riders will not be able to decipher the differences between the feel of a Race clutch kit vs. the OEM kit. And on some bikes (such as my ZX10R,) you can go from OEM to absolute top-of-the-line race clutches and the bike behaves exactly the same.

Save some dough!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Oem for sure

Sent from

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
I ended up with this. Was half the cost of OEM and seemed to be the same material plus aluminum.

Edit: And prime is WIN!

don't wanna break the news to you.. but that is a FIBER ONLY kit (i am nearly positive). You will need to use your OEM metals.
Not a problem, you often ONLY replace fibers (i just did on one of my 2 bikes). just ensure your metals are not warped by measuring with a feeler gauge on a flat (glass) surface. Ensure your STACK HEIGHT is in spec (42.4mm-43mm) if not, you will need one of the 2 optional thickness metals to adjust the stack height within the spec range. The EBC kit is a fine alternative to the OEM plates at about 40% off the cost.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
don't wanna break the news to you.. but that is a FIBER ONLY kit (i am nearly positive). You will need to use your OEM metals.
Not a problem, you often ONLY replace fibers (i just did on one of my 2 bikes). just ensure your metals are not warped by measuring with a feeler gauge on a flat (glass) surface. Ensure your STACK HEIGHT is in spec (42.4mm-43mm) if not, you will need one of the 2 optional thickness metals to adjust the stack height within the spec range. The EBC kit is a fine alternative to the OEM plates at about 40% off the cost.
'

Not new news to me. I was only looking for fibers but I am ready to buy the rest if needed. In the worst case, I have to buy another full kit and Ill have the spare fibers for track emergencies.

Next question for MELK-MAN, which pad to use for racing? Ive got it down between the CP1, XRAC or SRJLXX. Ive got a 19x20 brembo master with remote and steel lines, nothing else. I don't mind having to get the rotors cleaned up for organic either.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
'

Not new news to me. I was only looking for fibers but I am ready to buy the rest if needed. In the worst case, I have to buy another full kit and Ill have the spare fibers for track emergencies.

Next question for MELK-MAN, which pad to use for racing? Ive got it down between the CP1, XRAC or SRJLXX. Ive got a 19x20 brembo master with remote and steel lines, nothing else. I don't mind having to get the rotors cleaned up for organic either.
EBC makes great stuff.. not just clutches, but brakes. It's all i use for as long as i have been roadracing AND offroad harescramble racing.
I would consider the EBC extreme Pro EPFA front pads. They won't have the hard initial bite of the GPFA extreme pro ebc pads..
The EPFA is marketed (now) as a "fast street/track day" pad, but i'm telling you, just a few years that was our RACE pad, and i still prefer it to this day. The GPFA will give you more initial bite though.
Just curious, why did you choose a 19x20 brembo over the ever popular 19x18 ? I prefer the STOCK oem brembo, but most everyone that i know (racers) that use an aftermarket brembo, prefer the 19x18 .. just curious.

You don't have to buy a complete kit to get metals, but yes, it would be handy to have the spare fibers. Have you measured your fibers ??? If they are 2.9mm or more, they might be fine. 2.85mm is minimum spec of a fiber.

While you have the clutch apart, inspect the basket for notching of the teeth. Not just marks, but actual grooves you can see AND feel.. same with the pressure plate. is the surface nice and smooth or is there a lip on the outside from being worn big time..

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
www.1seven1.com

I had always had good luck with Barnett in my bikes until last season, then the clutch got weird and grabby in the middle of a race weekend. Thoroughly made an ass out of myself on a start in front of the grandstand.

Since then, I'm back to OE and all is good. They're surprisingly tough, too. I have no problem with a clutch lasting an entire season, but I'm pretty easy on equipment.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in