How do I know if I need rearsets? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '06 R6 Raven
How do I know if I need rearsets?

Hey guys,

The title is pretty self explanatory, but I'll explain. I'm getting into my second season of track riding and I'm starting to think more about the ergonomics of my bike. I'm fairly tall at 6'1" and I wonder if the pegs shouldn't be a bit farther back and/or down for me. Maybe the bike fits me perfectly as is. Any guidelines I can use? Same for clip ons since we're on the ergo subject.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Raven

Appearance:
-PUIG Smoked Windscreen
-Black ASV Shorty Levers
-Custom LED Integrated Taillight
-Custom LED Fender Eliminator

Performance:
-Yoshimura Slip-On
-K&N Air Filter
-AGG Smog Blockoffs
-M4 Midpipe
-Driven 520 -1/+2
-RK Chain
-GPR v4 Damper
-PCV + Autotune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM
Re: How do I know if I need rearsets?

I swiched over when I was going around a turn at the track and the little feeler ball on my stock pegs hit the track.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scared the shit out of me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 AM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
I took my feelers off and started racing on stock, my woodcraft rear sets are better and much more crashable. Get them when, 1 yours break 2 you have the money.

Sent from

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Its all about feel. The more comfortable you are the more you can focus on going fast. To me adjustable rearsets and clip ons are one of the first mods to do.

Sent from

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
I took my feelers off and started racing on stock, my woodcraft rear sets are better and much more crashable. Get them when, 1 yours break 2 you have the money.

Sent from
+1 on what Mercenary said... you should take that feeler off before doing track. i never broke my OEM ones but got new ones when i had the money. gotta say the new one took a little bit of getting used to but afterward it felt much better and had more grip on it then the OEM ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely replace them if they break, but I'm thinking more from a standpoint of adjustability. Is there some reference point I can use to determine if the stock ones fit my leg length or if they need to go back, down, etc? Or do I just need to get a set and start playing with the adjustments?

2006 Raven

Appearance:
-PUIG Smoked Windscreen
-Black ASV Shorty Levers

Performance:
-Yoshimura Slip-On
-K&N Air Filter
-AGG Smog Blockoffs
-M4 Midpipe
-Driven 520 -1/+2
-RK Chain
-GPR v4 Damper
-PCV + Autotune
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2624 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely replace them if they break, but I'm thinking more from a standpoint of adjustability. Is there some reference point I can use to determine if the stock ones fit my leg length or if they need to go back, down, etc? Or do I just need to get a set and start playing with the adjustments?
Do you drag toes? Do you have difficulty locking your leg into the tank in turns? I'm short, so I used to have to point my outside toe way down to get my knee against the tank. This was a sure indicator of needing to make an adjustment.

Hope things are going great for you! It's been a while since I've been on or seen you on!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Do you drag toes? Do you have difficulty locking your leg into the tank in turns? I'm short, so I used to have to point my outside toe way down to get my knee against the tank. This was a sure indicator of needing to make an adjustment.

Hope things are going great for you! It's been a while since I've been on or seen you on!
Thanks Chief, things are going pretty well. I definitely don't drag toe, I just barely touched a knee down at the end of last season, I'm really not that fast yet. I've only recently started to work on my BP so digging my knee into the tank is challenging right now, but I can't be sure its due to the position of the pegs. Sometimes I feel like I need them to be further back and down for my long legs, but I may just need more seat time.

Same goes for clip ons. I don't know how to tell if I need some adjustments there as well. Is it possible to adjust the stock ones or no?

Maybe I should try and get Dave Moss to have a look at all this at the next trackday at t-hill. I'm sure he will be able to tell just by having me sit on the bike.

2006 Raven

Appearance:
-PUIG Smoked Windscreen
-Black ASV Shorty Levers

Performance:
-Yoshimura Slip-On
-K&N Air Filter
-AGG Smog Blockoffs
-M4 Midpipe
-Driven 520 -1/+2
-RK Chain
-GPR v4 Damper
-PCV + Autotune
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2624 View Post
Thanks Chief, things are going pretty well. I definitely don't drag toe, I just barely touched a knee down at the end of last season, I'm really not that fast yet. I've only recently started to work on my BP so digging my knee into the tank is challenging right now, but I can't be sure its due to the position of the pegs. Sometimes I feel like I need them to be further back and down for my long legs, but I may just need more seat time.

Same goes for clip ons. I don't know how to tell if I need some adjustments there as well. Is it possible to adjust the stock ones or no?

Maybe I should try and get Dave Moss to have a look at all this at the next trackday at t-hill. I'm sure he will be able to tell just by having me sit on the bike.
Dave Moss is the man. Having access to him personally has got to be EPIC.

Stock clip ons... You will notice that right hand turns, you cannot get off the bike as well as left due to the angle your hand and wrist are forced into. This is fixed with clipons and pushign them forward on less of an angle. Clearance issues QUICKLY arise with the headlight, the stay, etc. It's a battle man.

Billy (WildBill420) is tall too. He had to go with the Woodcrafts, but then ended up dragging his big feet all over. He is now looking for steel to sliders!

also, it's tough riding oem rearsets due to the lack of grip in the wet, etc.

Glad to see you posting up and even happier to hear things are gong well!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

As a fellow tall guy, I don't know how much aftermarket rearsets are going to help you with ergos. I've got Vortex, and have them as low as they'll go, and they feel about the same as stock. The aftermarket adjustability is usually geared towards putting you in a more aggressive position, which doesn't help so much for those of us who are 6'+ and need a little more leg room.

They are a lot grippier, crashable, and easier/cheaper to replace parts on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in