Issues mounting super bike tail - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Bike: 2007 R6-Race
Issues mounting super bike tail

So let me start by saying I did a search and I found similar threads but I think I have some unique issues:

I have set of optimal track fairings with a SBK tail. The four depressions on the tail for mounting points do not line up with threaded holes although they do line up with holes in the subframe. What I have done in the past is simply put a long bolt through the hole and put a nut on the back to hold it place. Here are my two problems:

1. It's a pain to undo at the of the day-I always disconnect my battery at the end of each day.

2. The hole in the tail get hallowed out and eventually become wider and wider. I obviously dont spend a lot of time sitting on the seat but the left to right movement causes the fiberglass to rub against the bolts

Does anyone have a suggestion on how else I can mount this thing? I don't want to drill addition holes in the tail. Also none of the SBK tail I have ever bought came with a additional brace or mounting aid as I have read in other threads. This means all my weight when i do sit on the tail is centered on two mounting points. My buddy suggested I use some foam pieces on the underside between the subframe and the tail. This might work but I am afraid it would negate the benefit of having this type of tail.

Once again thanks to all for your tips and tricks

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Issues mounting super bike tail

Pictures? I've got Optimal fairings on my track bike, but it's an '05. There's no dimples or anything, you just drill holes to line up with the seat mounting bolts and that's pretty much it.

I'm sure if you post up some pics we'll be able to figure something out.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Storyteller

Bike: '08 r6

Why would you use long bolts? Use the 4 plastic push tabs, then the one screw that goes in the middle, top of the tail.

I have an '08 w/ Optimal fairings, and have not had any problems with the tail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1tmeh View Post
Why would you use long bolts? Use the 4 plastic push tabs, then the one screw that goes in the middle, top of the tail.

I have an '08 w/ Optimal fairings, and have not had any problems with the tail.
You have what appears to be the SS kit. OP has the SBK kit.

OP - Sounds like you are missing a bracket or need to fashion one

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
You have what appears to be the SS kit. OP has the SBK kit.

OP - Sounds like you are missing a bracket or need to fashion one

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
But it is almost the same, I used a cutting wheel to alter the stock bracket underneath... stand-by, I'll take a picture. Brb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Storyteller

So, take the stock metal bracket and cut the wings off of it. Use two screws or I would recommend plastic push tabs, and then two more plastic push tabs where the tail meets the tank.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1tmeh View Post
So, take the stock metal bracket and cut the wings off of it. Use two screws or I would recommend plastic push tabs, and then two more plastic push tabs where the tail meets the tank.

This guy just isn't getting it

You have the Supersport tail which uses the stock seat...the superbike tail is different.......

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
This guy just isn't getting it

You have the Supersport tail which uses the stock seat...the superbike tail is different.......
Jesus Christ...

USE THE ****ING STOCK BRACKET! THEN USE PLASTIC PUSH PINS...

I understand he has the superbike tail... I had the same one before I switched. One the SUPERBIKE tail, there are two holes which utilize the stock metal bracket underneath... when using Optimal superbike tail.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Bike: 2007 R6-Race
Lolz, ok I probably should have posted pics. Unfortunately I am already on my out of town for a track weekend. I will post pics when I'm back on Monday. There maybe something I am missing, sometimes I miss the obvious haha. KEEP CALM AND WAIT FOR PICS :-)

Sent from

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
:popcorn

Sent from

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in