Facing Your Crash Demons - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 R6, 14' FZ09
Facing Your Crash Demons

What do you guys do to face your track side crash demons after some nasty spills? What has/has not worked for you in the past?

I have my 1st TD on Monday the 13th and I am having a ton of bad juju and anxiety. In both 2011 & 2012 I had season ending crashes/injuries early in the season. In April 2011 I lowsided on a right corner at about 65mph and ended up with a rotator cuff injury to my right shoulder. Then in May 2012 the front tucked on me at 90mph on yet another right corner and I fractured both ankles. Front end of bike clipped a small 2'x2' drainage grate out in the grass and obliterated my front wheel and forks. Both crashes were at the same track.

I was an advanced group rider in 09-10' but after basically 1 TD combined in last 2 years I have lost the ability and confidence for race pace. I'm down right nervous as hell thinking about facing those same right corners on Monday.

Anyways, me and bike are now both in reasonable shape with a fresh set of gear and a shiny new parts, wheels, and Dunlop KR448/449 slicks.

I'm wondering if I should put myself in Novice and run 1-2 sessions before advancing to intermediate group to try and get my lines & race legs back. Or just mingle towards the back of intermediate most of the day.

Just venting and looking for some advice on how to stop being a pansy
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: Facing Your Crash Demons

Just relax and seat time. Don't over think things and go have fun. Your pace will slow down but don't let that bother you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

IDK If I have crash demons. I've high sided, low, death wobble, lost the rear end and got it back, I've tumbled, I've rolled, I've slid, I've even hit a tree.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But as long as I can walk away it's a good crash to me. If you are afraid of crashing you will... As sherman said stay in your comfort zone and you'll be fine.... Maybe take it much easier in the right handers. Your fear of them might be whats effecting you subconsciously causing a serious uneasiness.

I will admit I am not as strong in right hand turns as my left.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack

Last edited by Gundamzeppelin; 05-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

I think a really important part of overcoming crash demons has to do with making sure that you understand WHY you crashed in the first place. I know a lot of riders tend to pass off crashes as just something that happens and they don't really do a lot of investigation to find out why they crashed. Once you know WHY you crashed you take take the appropriate steps to learn how not to make the same mistakes again.

For example, when I first started racing I had a couple of highsides and I didn't really know why. I knew that I must have gotten on the gas too hard or slid the rear in the wet and what have you but I didn't know that I was chopping the throttle and that was what was most likely causing me to get tossed off the bike. It wasn't until I talked through my crashes with Keith Code and rode the slide bike at the Superbike School that I really got a handle on highsides and I stopped crashing.

Arming yourself with knowledge and constantly working to better your skills is a helpful way of overcoming those demons and of increasing your overall confidence.

Good luck and have fun riding today!!

Misti
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Dirt track racing!

Bike: 2008 YZF R6 LE

Stay confident out there, and don't let your old mistakes get to you. Don't beat yourself up over them. Learn why you messed up as said, and try to keep that in the far corner of your mind instead. Keep your mind on the tasks at hand, and keep a steady and smooth concentration. Try to relax and stay smooth. Also like said, if you think and worry about it, it is all the easier to have happen yet again.

Read some driving books, and books drivers have written. Running a good pace and line has a real good amount to do with your mental, and physical state.

I haven't even scratched the surface, but you get the idea. Good luck on the track
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
I think a really important part of overcoming crash demons has to do with making sure that you understand WHY you crashed in the first place. I know a lot of riders tend to pass off crashes as just something that happens and they don't really do a lot of investigation to find out why they crashed. Once you know WHY you crashed you take take the appropriate steps to learn how not to make the same mistakes again.
I agree fully with this. I have had some good ones and as long as I have been able to understand what happened and how to help prevent it in the future I am able to get back out there and put the hammer down.

James

CCS #720 Expert
2007 R6
TPM COACH #720
Team Pro-Motion Sportbike Club - Trackdays/Races
MRP Motorsports

Moto-D Racing

EVIL Powder Coating
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Background: Last year after 4 race weekends I had a bad off and ended my season with a bad concussion, bleeding on the brain, bruised lung, broken wrist, and broken foot.

In April I went back to the same track and signed up for the Advanced sessions not knowing what pace I would actually run. I went two or three sessions before being to an "advanced" pace. Took it slow getting confidence back in the bike and my abilities. After one day I was within 2-3 seconds a lap off of last years lap times. The second trackday I was back to practicing sliding the rear driving out of corners. Didn't help that it ended in a highside that broke my foot but two weeks later I was at the CCS races anyway. This weekend I have BFR. A track I have never been to.

TL;DR take it slow and build your confidence back the way you did in the beginning. Since you've already been past the limits that held you up the first time it is easier.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 R6, 14' FZ09

I know what caused my last crash, I was carrying a lot of corner speed and I put a tad too much input on my right clip on while in the apex, which caused my front wheel to tuck.

Just a follow up to yesterdays TD...

Yesterday went pretty well. No crashes so that's a successful day in my book. The morning sessions I rode like a grandpa...like 15-18sec slower than my usual lap times. In the first 3 sessions I focused on breaking/throttle control, choosing my lines and consistently hitting my reference points. It took me about 4 sessions before I started trusting the bike again. Session 5 I started being more aggressive on entry speeds and trail breaking and shaved about 3 sec off my lap times.

The track conditions at Hallett have worsened since last time I went. Sooo many bumps, patches, and cracks. In every apex there were patches and uneven surfaces in the track so I never pushed it hard. Also, I've never used slicks so I was pretty hesitant to push them in the cooler morning temps. Maybe it was just me, but there seems to be quite a bit of difference in feel with the Dunlop USA NTEC Slicks vs. say the 211 GPA.

All in all it was a fun day and while taking a huge step back in pace, I re-learned a lot of things and started trusting myself and the bike a little more. It felt nice to gradually get a bit faster and gain back some much needed confidence.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I eat my R6

worrying about crashing = crashing

worrying about not crashing = crashing

don't use the c-word and you'll be fine.

Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

Custom Leather & Vinyl

Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards

Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Background: Last year after 4 race weekends I had a bad off and ended my season with a bad concussion, bleeding on the brain, bruised lung, broken wrist, and broken foot.

In April I went back to the same track and signed up for the Advanced sessions not knowing what pace I would actually run. I went two or three sessions before being to an "advanced" pace. Took it slow getting confidence back in the bike and my abilities. After one day I was within 2-3 seconds a lap off of last years lap times. The second trackday I was back to practicing sliding the rear driving out of corners. Didn't help that it ended in a highside that broke my foot but two weeks later I was at the CCS races anyway. This weekend I have BFR. A track I have never been to.

TL;DR take it slow and build your confidence back the way you did in the beginning. Since you've already been past the limits that held you up the first time it is easier.
Damn, now that is what I call gettting back in the saddle like a boss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in