Track bike set up - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
I read a thread earlier where you stated that about it burning up and being pushed into the frame. I was thinking under the battery tray with some shims to get air flow between it but If you say don't move it I'll take your word for it.

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Track bike set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
I read a thread earlier where you stated that about it burning up and being pushed into the frame. I was thinking under the battery tray with some shims to get air flow between it but If you say don't move it I'll take your word for it.

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
different charging system on the 1st and 2nd gen bikes, it was fine on those bikes back there (stock position was under there). But not on this bike.. it gets good air flow up in front of the rad. Some pro guy put it up on the frame and suddenly everyone want's to put it there.. they originally though it would get ripped off in a crash. Well let me tell you, if you crash bad enough to rip the rectifier off from it's stock position you have BIGGER PROBLEMS than replacing a $90 rectifier and a few wires. LOL !!!
It will eventually melt if you move it if you live anywhere but someplace where you are on track when it is 60F or below. Maybe still then, cause the first time as i took delivery of my "new to me" 08 at Daytona, it fried on the dyno. Not enough air flow as he was testing to ensure the bike was under the hp limit for ASRA pro races. (then i lost one on the same bike 6 months later and one shortly after on my OTHER bike).

Again, since moved.. in 4 seasons.. i have not lost another one (knock on wood).

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Gettn' it!

Bike: 04 600rr, 06 R1, 09 R6

Does removing the left handle controls a task of simply removing the controls and unplugging from harness, or do I have to do something with the clutch switch wires

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:43 AM
billdozer

Bike: 2011 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftn3rdon1 View Post
Does removing the left handle controls a task of simply removing the controls and unplugging from harness, or do I have to do something with the clutch switch wires
ur going to want to keep the wires that go to the clutch lever sensor so you can start the bike in gear, what i did was cut all the wires that i didn't need and left the two for the clutch.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Do a pop a wheelie !!!

Bike: 08 r6 09 r6 several othrs

check the org. that you will be running with, some require removal, or wire tie of the kickstand.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:41 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
do not.. i repeat.. do NOT relocate the rectifier on the 3rd gen bike. I know it looks all factory and shit
but leave it where it is up in front of the radiator. i have seen frames broke when that thing gets pushed in when they relocated it upward on the frame. But more importantly, it doesn't get enough AIR up there. It's where it is for a reason, cause it gets wicket hot.. excess voltage gets turned into heat. Excess voltage generated from the higher than typical rpm's the bike sees on a track vs. putting around on the road. Heat has to go somewhere. the fins on the rectifier don't do the job they were designed to do when you move it out of the air flow (where it is now).
i lost 3 rectifiers. (2 on one bike, one on the other.. ). The first burned the plug on the DYNO the day i was buying it at Daytona. then 6 months later it burned another one (this was back in 2009). I moved it to the stock position, NO ISSUES SINCE. 2nd bike, burned up in 2010 at Carolina Motorsport park. Moved it.. NO ISSUES.
yea, pro teams found it cool to move. They also only race the bikes for 1 season. Or, if you live in a cold climate it may not be as big an issue. But EVERYONE that i know that moved it away from the stock position has burned it up.
Leave it.

Thank you so much for this valuable piece of advice. You've fixed an issue thats ruined multiple trackways and a saved me a lot of money. Cheers.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 AM
My R6 eats me.

How do you delete the kickstand module when removing the kickstand?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:15 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaBluR6 View Post
How do you delete the kickstand module when removing the kickstand?
you can cut the wires and splice them together.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

In regards to being able to start the bike in gear. It is essential if you are planning to race in some organisations. Not an issue for track day heroes. It can be very dangerous if you stall it on the grid and can't get it started quickly. Being able to start the bike in gear helps by giving the stalled rider at least a small chance of getting away before someone runs up their backside. There have been some terrible accidents from these types of incidents at club level.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:45 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

yes stalling can be dangerous if you are at the front of a grid. Ive seen guys forget to put the bike in gear and its the same result. I know CCS & WERA stagger positions to keep it as safe as possible. Most times everyone is "shooting gaps" on the grid and 90% of the time riders are timid... so a strategy to gain some positions off the start.
If there were some way to gauge adrenaline... a starting grid would be a pretty fertile area for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in