Which One, GPX Pro 4 or GPX Pro 8? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Sine Labore Nihil

Bike: '08 R6, '15 R1M
Which One, GPX Pro 4 or GPX Pro 8?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a GPX Pro from XT Racing for my '08 R6 track bike and I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not I should spend the extra money on the 8 input model. I would rather not limit myself in the future if I am going to want the additional inputs down the road. Is 4 good enough for a motorcycle? Any of you get the 4 and wish you had more inputs later on? Is the 8 input model more designed for automotive applications?

Here is what I am thinking so far

1. RPM
2. TPS
3. Brake (which sensor for stock MC/lever?)
4. Suspension (which potentiometer for Ohlins TTX?)

What am I missing?

I know the GPX Pro will calculate gear position, speed and acceleration internally, but do I need to add anything when I add a quick shifter?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been answered before but everything I am turning up on the web are just reviews or install guides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#74 Expert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 04:17 PM
billdozer

Bike: 2011 R6
Re: Which One, GPX Pro 4 or GPX Pro 8?

The GPX Pro is really nice. I was talking to chiefsmokedawg today about lap timers as i really want a gpx, mainly for GPS, split times, and you can get tire temperature sensors so you know what temp they are at when riding. That's the only feature that I would want aside from what you listed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Sine Labore Nihil

Yeah temp sensors would be interesting, as you could look at what your tires were doing throughout a session. Another bonus that I am seeing in going with the 8 input version is the additional cable on that model has a 5V reference output that you can use to power suspension potentiometers and thermistors (temp sensors). With the 4, I guess you would have to figure out how to run your own power to these items.

#74 Expert

Instructor

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

If you're going to hook up to suspension, I think you'd want enough channels to do front and rear. Only having one of them doesn't seem all that useful.

It's also helpful to wire into the bike's speed sensor, which allows the GPX to correctly calculate what gear you're in, regardless of gearing changes or if you're on the edge of the tire. When the bike is leaned over, it essentially makes the rear tire smaller, which screws with the gear calculation and it'll tell you you're changing gears as you lean the bike over or stand it back up. Giving it the bike's speed sensor as a reference will fix this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Pro 8...newer model, will be supported longer than the old model IMHO.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
Pro 8...newer model, will be supported longer than the old model IMHO.
I've got a 4 channel. I would bet money the hardware on the 8 is identical and you get the extra 4 channels through firmware. You have to open the case up to hook up the data cable, and I'm pretty sure it had a connector for a 2nd set of channels.

Either that - or they accidentally sent me a 8-channel and I'm a dumbass.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fallis; 05-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Sine Labore Nihil

Great points, thanks for the input... haha see what I did there?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hadn't considered the speed thing you mentioned, but I see what you are saying now. I also didn't realize they made a front sensor for the suspension, but I haven't really researched them at all yet. You are right though, having one without the other doesn't make much sense.

#74 Expert

Instructor

Last edited by hiddentoken; 05-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I eat my R6

i have the gpx pro 8 and am in love with it. Scott and I, (falls) compared data and it's really cool. I am gonna get the brake pressure sensor and eventually more sensors once i finish my trailer and suspension/new rotors and pads.

i love looking at data and i can say 100% that this helped me improve lap times after studying it at the track.

I dropped about 6 seconds in one day cause of this timer.

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in