Sprocket question......... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Sprocket question.........

So, I was debating on what sprockets to play with on my 06 R6r ( front or rear )......and i decided to just go with a -1 up front.

My question is, is there any sort of performance difference between changing the front sprocket vs. changing the rear? I know that people like the -1, +2......or the -1, +1.......and of course it all depends on the rider, track and so on, but in terms of hp and or torque applied to the rear wheel.....is there a difference?

I just want to get a little extra "get up and go" out of the corners and I really don't plan on swapping out sprockets on the rear anytime soon.......but i guess that could change depending on the tracks i visit.

Just looking for some other input here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
Re: Sprocket question.........

1 tooth on the front is about equivalent to 3 in the rear. So -1 up front is the same as having gone +3 on the rear. So having an additional tooth or two on the rear isn't that big of a deal.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

so, realistically, the only point to having the rear sprocket in various sizes in the ability to change them easier then the front? I went with the front sprocket bc i found a protek one for $22.50 shipped, vs $60-75 for a rear.

A second question......i will be able to use the stock chain length with my new front sprocket? Its the same pitch ( 525 )....just a -1. Obviously the axle will need to move back just a little to take up the slack.

Last edited by standman4320; 06-02-2013 at 06:31 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I eat my R6

No the rear will allow you to make smaller changes to the gear ratio. Think of the front sprocket as a coarse adjustment, the rear as a fine.

Gearing / Sprockets have no affect on HP or torque.

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

correct. hp/torque doesn't change, but the rate of acceleration does change. there are pluses and minuses to gearing changes.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
No the rear will allow you to make smaller changes to the gear ratio. Think of the front sprocket as a coarse adjustment, the rear as a fine.

Gearing / Sprockets have no affect on HP or torque.
yea, i know it doesnt affect hp technically, but though physics, i thought there may have been a chage in the way it was delivered. Kind of like an engine having two hp ratings....one is an hp rating at the crank the other being at the rear wheel. The rear wheel always being the lower of the two.....as power is lost through the drive train. I guess the more i think about it, it wouldnt matter........it just comes down to gearing and how quckly you climb the rpm range.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Track Monkey

Bike: 04 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to racerstf

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman4320 View Post
yea, i know it doesnt affect hp technically, but though physics, i thought there may have been a chage in the way it was delivered. Kind of like an engine having two hp ratings....one is an hp rating at the crank the other being at the rear wheel. The rear wheel always being the lower of the two.....as power is lost through the drive train. I guess the more i think about it, it wouldnt matter........it just comes down to gearing and how quckly you climb the rpm range.
Changing the gearing to a shorter (smaller front, larger back) ratio will increase the rate of acceleration, but decrease the top speed. You will get to top speed much quicker.

When I raced go-karts we preferred to have the larger front sprocket, because they will last longer. Using smaller gears will wear out your chain and sprockets faster since they will undergo more revolutions than a larger gearing with the same ratio.

I say stick with the larger front and play with the rear gear, until it because necessary to move to a smaller front.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
as racerstf and Ohio stated, hp is hp. it can be rated at the crank or at the rear wheel, but it would be the same at both ends regardless of changes to final drive ratios. Acceleration is not hp. More hp allows a faster acceleration for the same drive ratio (we all know that), but changing the sprocket does not affect the hp at the crank or rear wheel..

Changing gear ratios to simply accelerate faster does NOT always get you a faster lap around a race circuit. If it did, every roadracer would simply put the largest ratio on you could (smallest front and biggest rear sprocket possible). But that would kill top speed, and making way more shifts than needed between corners. And remember, you only have so much EDGE GRIP. You have only so much traction at lean angle, too much throttle and you highside. It all comes down to what works "best" to get around the track.
Drag strip ? sure. put on what works best in a straight line for a 1/4 or 1/8th mile.

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 06-06-2013 at 09:09 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys.

So......one more question. Whether I do a -1 up front or go bigger by a tooth or two on the back sprocket ( already have the -1 sprocket, just have not installed it yet ) climbing the RPM range quicker will happen in both scenarios correct? Realistically, how much faster will it climb......will i really notice a huge difference in how much quicker i will have to up shift when on the track or is it only a slight difference since I'm just doing the -1 up front? I just want a little more "kick" out of the corners when i begin my drives, but i don't want to have a "oh shit" moment realizing that I am redlining so much quicker. Something tells me a -1 isnt going to be a ground breaking gear change thats going to blow my mind, but i'm just curious on opinions of those who have done it.

Last edited by standman4320; 06-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer guys.

So......one more question. Whether I do a -1 up front or go bigger by a tooth or two on the back sprocket ( already have the -1 sprocket, just have not installed it yet ) climbing the RPM range quicker will happen in both scenarios correct? Realistically, how much faster will it climb......will i really notice a huge difference in how much quicker i will have to up shift when on the track or is it only a slight difference since I'm just doing the -1 up front? I just want a little more "kick" out of the corners when i begin my drives, but i don't want to have a "oh shit" moment realizing that I am redlining so much quicker.
-1t on the front sprocket is a huge gearing change for track riding. Huge. Understand that the engineers of this bike put a lot of time and testing into picking the final drive ratio of this machine at the test tracks. It was a big debate between a 45 and 46 .. and that is one tooth at the REAR.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not possible to say how much faster your bike will rev. That is based on lots of things, how much HP does your bike make.. how fast are you rolling the throttle on, how heavy are you, etc. Just know it WILL rev faster but may have you needing to make an extra UP shift and thus extra DOWN shift in between 2 corners that otherwise would have needed 1 less up/down shift. see where i'm going with that ??
Ask yourself this... how often at your track are you REALLY 100% throttle. I bet it's a lot less than you think. Try the -1 front tooth if you have it already. You should learn how things feel and what works and what doesn't. But just going with big gear ratios (small front/big rear) is NOT the way to a faster lap time in most cases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in