F-150 (Men drive trucks) 8 44.44%
WRX (You need more ways to get speeding tickets) 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Bike: 2007 R6-Race
Another Tow Vehicle Question

My current truck it getting old so I will hopefully be getting some thing new soon. I am seriously considering the F-150 with the ecoboost engine (appr. 24mpg in real world conditions) MPG is important b/c I have a long commute. I also have to have enough of a back seat to fit the carseat for my daughter
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I test drove one and wasnt overly impressed but whatever its just a truck. That's the thing though, I am only hauling the bike around about twice a month. So is it worth it to get the truck? I do like having one when I need one, it makes impromptu visits to Home Depot or the furniture store easy.

The other option might seems a little weird. I am thinking a Impreza WRX. With a light single bike trailer it would have no problem pulling the bike around and would be a lot more fun on the day to day commute ect. but it's not a truck. I feel like not having the flexibility a truck gives might be missed. Those are my two options so I though I'd throw it out there and see if there are any pros or cons I have not thought of.

Thanks!

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: Another Tow Vehicle Question

aint no way in hell that ecoboost is getting 24mpg unless you drive it 30mph and pretend there are eggs under the gas pedal.

Does it pull like crazy? Yeap
Are you allowed to flash the computer or change components under warranty for a better tune? Nope
What kind of real world MPG will you see? Maybe 20 on flat ground at 60mph.
Go 85 it drops to 15 or less. Tow a trailer... you'd be lucky to get 260 miles out of a tank of fuel on flat ground.
But you can get about 500 lb/ft of torque with a good tune and a few minor component upgrades if you want to forgo your Ford warranty.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I eat my R6

I saw a 350Z tow a CBR to Pacific Raceways last year. Thought that was a pretty epic sight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
I finish 4th

Bike: 2007 R6-Race
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
aint no way in hell that ecoboost is getting 24mpg unless you drive it 30mph and pretend there are eggs under the gas pedal.

Does it pull like crazy? Yeap
Are you allowed to flash the computer or change components under warranty for a better tune? Nope
What kind of real world MPG will you see? Maybe 20 on flat ground at 60mph.
Go 85 it drops to 15 or less. Tow a trailer... you'd be lucky to get 260 miles out of a tank of fuel on flat ground.
But you can get about 500 lb/ft of torque with a good tune and a few minor component upgrades if you want to forgo your Ford warranty.
Probably want to keep the warranty lol I do drive like a old lady in my current truck, having the thrill of the bike makes me pretty calm in a car. Just not sure how bad I need a truck

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 250r Track
2007 R-6 Track

ASMA#451 Low and Slow
CVMA#451
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 PM
I eat my R6

You could also rent a truck and see how that goes the first few times around. Maybe you just need to experience the convenience in order to make the decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 AM
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1

I get my bike to the track with a silly little Lancer. Personally I would get the WRX and tow it with that.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 AM
your gunna love my nuts!

Bike: 08 R6

I have an 06 f150 lariat with the 5.4 triton and i get 20 mpg on the highway doin about 65 mph.....back roads, well thats a different story. The ecoboosts are awesome and without a doubt can get 24 to the gallon but thats only when your REALLY paying attention to how much your using your gas/breaks. Its tough for me to keep my pig at 20mpg, actually have to watch my MPG info on my dash. HATE having to fill her up but loooove how my R6 tucks right into the 6.5 bed with the tailgate up
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 AM
your gunna love my nuts!

Bike: 08 R6

Also the gearing in the rear end that your particular truck would come with will makes a HUGE difference on MPG. F150s have come with a few different gear setups, some are great for towing but suck for commuting and so on.....good luck bud
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 AM
I eat my R6

I would get whatever you needed most but remember your daughter will be much safer in a truck.... For me that would be the most important consideration rather than towing my bike, but thats me

Sent from
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropeymagnumman View Post
I have an 06 f150 lariat with the 5.4 triton and i get 20 mpg on the highway doin about 65 mph.....back roads, well thats a different story. The ecoboosts are awesome and without a doubt can get 24 to the gallon but thats only when your REALLY paying attention to how much your using your gas/breaks. Its tough for me to keep my pig at 20mpg, actually have to watch my MPG info on my dash. HATE having to fill her up but loooove how my R6 tucks right into the 6.5 bed with the tailgate up
my work truck is a 5.4 equipped F150. At 80mph... I can get 18 pretty easy not running the a/c. Worst Id get would be 16.
The ecoboost mpgs were observed at 30-40mph. And you have to put up with Fords tune. There is another 100lb/ft & 60 hp on a stock engine to be had safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in