Where to buy track bike - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Life is best beyond 10k

Bike: 2008 Honda CBR600RR
Where to buy track bike

Hey guys, husband is looking for a good track bike at a good price. I've looked at our local track provider forums, NESBA classifieds, Craigslist and even this forum. Any other places to look for one?

I know now isn't the best season, but we're still looking.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
"Multiple track days are needed every 12 month period to keep performance of the nut between bars and seat within an acceptable range. Failure to do so could result in a loss of talent in the nut. Crashing, "squidding it up" and illusions of awesomeness could occur.".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Love my bike

Bike: 08 R6 & 07 R6
WERA classifieds is another option too

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage
Re: Where to buy track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioandres View Post
WERA classifieds is another option too

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

what's he after, and what's the budget??

oh, and hai!

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Not really sure what your looking for. Does he want an already made, track bike? Budget? Size or models he is interested in?

For me, this is what i did. I looked for a good deal on a street bike on Craigslist or on a forum ( found a mint 2006 R6r, 3500 miles for about $4500 two winters ago on CL ), sell all the street body work on a related forum ( i made almost $1500 selling off the oem bodywork and other street parts ) and then slapped on some track bodywork, track tires and some rear sets and called it a day. Two years later, i have updated the suspension and brakes and now I have a more capable track toy.

I personally would never buy somebodies already made track bike. I would rather get a street bike that has ( more than likely ) been abused way less......and then convert it to a track bike.

Last edited by standman4320; 06-09-2013 at 06:17 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Life is best beyond 10k

Bike: 2008 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post
what's he after, and what's the budget??

oh, and hai!
Any 600, less than 8 years old, pre made track bike with some extras. Preferably able to be ridden on street, but not a requirement.

O HAI!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman4320 View Post
Not really sure what your looking for. Does he want an already made, track bike? Budget? Size or models he is interested in?

For me, this is what i did. I looked for a good deal on a street bike on Craigslist or on a forum ( found a mint 2006 R6r, 3500 miles for about $4500 two winters ago on CL ), sell all the street body work on a related forum ( i made almost $1500 selling off the oem bodywork and other street parts ) and then slapped on some track bodywork, track tires and some rear sets and called it a day. Two years later, i have updated the suspension and brakes and now I have a more capable track toy.

I personally would never buy somebodies already made track bike. I would rather get a street bike that has ( more than likely ) been abused way less......and then convert it to a track bike.
Street bikes are more likely than track bikes to be "abused." But that's a viable option. Just not at the top of our list.

Quote:
"Multiple track days are needed every 12 month period to keep performance of the nut between bars and seat within an acceptable range. Failure to do so could result in a loss of talent in the nut. Crashing, "squidding it up" and illusions of awesomeness could occur.".
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
A pre made bike can be an awesome deal, for the same cost you can get some amazing aftermarket parts way below what it would cost you to put it together yourself.

Sent from

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman4320 View Post
Time = money

I would gladly buy someones track bike if it had all the components on it/work done I want. I have $5k in my bike just converting it to race ready. Street bikes see far more abuse (lots of idling, heat cycling, inclement weather, cold starts, etc) than race bikes. Plus race bikes are routinely inspected/teched at every event. Plus the fact that race/track bikes have to consider the 1-50 other riders that will be ontrack with them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

hope you guys had fun yesterday. today was a blast, too. next time you come out he can try the "race prepped" 600 to see if he likes it...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
A pre made bike can be an awesome deal, for the same cost you can get some amazing aftermarket parts way below what it would cost you to put it together yourself.

Sent from
+1......that is one of the bennefits of buying a track prepped bike. You can usually get a few more tid bits on the bike for less than it would cost you to do it yourself by going out and building a track bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Time = money

I would gladly buy someones track bike if it had all the components on it/work done I want. I have $5k in my bike just converting it to race ready. Street bikes see far more abuse (lots of idling, heat cycling, inclement weather, cold starts, etc) than race bikes. Plus race bikes are routinely inspected/teched at every event. Plus the fact that race/track bikes have to consider the 1-50 other riders that will be ontrack with them.

wouldn't most bikes that are track bikes fall into this category.....menaing, at one point, they were once street bikes that became track / race bikes? Out of the 20+ people i know who track ride and or race, only about 5 of them bought their bikes brand spankin new.....the rest have all purchased used bikes ( some street and some track ready ). My point is, every track bike is riden hard, very hard and redlined......all day long. Most guys i know who ride the street, dont go to redline as much as we do on the track.....and if they do, its not nearly as often. Seems like most riders ( track or street ) baby their bikes. If not, its pretty easy to tell when you go to purchase one. That being said, buying a used bike could be a crap shoot, i just feel that a used street bike, with low miles and that is in mint condition ( visually and mechanically ) is a safer bet than a well used track bike. I guess if the track bike has receipts to accompany the engine refreshes, rebuilds, never been down and so on would leave one at ease in terms of mechanical condition.

I guess in my eyes, if you buy a low milage, mint condition street bike and convert it.......you have a better chance of getting a "pre-beaten on" machine.

Last edited by standman4320; 06-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in