Barber 6/29 190/60 susp settings - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 08 CBR 1000rr, 09 r6r
Barber 6/29 190/60 susp settings

Running an 09 R6, sagged to my weight of 180, front end shows 1 line on forks, so the front end is lowered ~5mm. At the moment I'm running a 190/55 but got a screamin deal on a 190/60 GPA. Is there a way to lower the stock shock to compensate for the rear tire, or should I just flush the forks on the triple to compensate for the difference? Suspension is stock, motor is stock.
Was at Barber three weeks ago and ran front adv, or 1:37's and 38's.
Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Barber 6/29 190/60 susp settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stviegx33 View Post
Running an 09 R6, sagged to my weight of 180, front end shows 1 line on forks, so the front end is lowered ~5mm. At the moment I'm running a 190/55 but got a screamin deal on a 190/60 GPA. Is there a way to lower the stock shock to compensate for the rear tire, or should I just flush the forks on the triple to compensate for the difference? Suspension is stock, motor is stock.
Was at Barber three weeks ago and ran front adv, or 1:37's and 38's.
Any advice??
On an 09 R6, if you had only 1 line showing above the triple, wouldn't the front ride height be raised 5mm? Cause they come with the forks set at the second line and that is the stock ride height. Each line is 5mm.

You can remove the 2mm shim from the top of the stock shock to help offset the rear ride height change. That is the only way to adjust rear ride height with the oem shock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Ahh you are correct sir. I bought the bike used from someone else and didn't really know anything about R6's, just wanted a track bike. They were flushed out when I got it. Original rider was also 6'5" though, so maybe that's why.
How hard is that to do? Riding tomorrow, does it take long to remove shim?

However, the 55 is taller than stock, so the front feels good at +5. In theory, if I flushed out the forks, would it not come close again to the 60? I know it still changes rake and trail a little, though

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Ahh you are correct sir. I bought the bike used from someone else and didn't really know anything about R6's, just wanted a track bike. They were flushed out when I got it. Original rider was also 6'5" though, so maybe that's why.
How hard is that to do? Riding tomorrow, does it take long to remove shim?

However, the 55 is taller than stock, so the front feels good at +5. In theory, if I flushed out the forks, would it not come close again to the 60? I know it still changes rake and trail a little, though
It's not too difficult to remove the shim. I think you may have to lift the tank to get at the top of the shock to unthread the bolt there..

I'd try it as is with the 60. The 211's are pretty tall themselves which raises the bike up as well. Flushed up forks aren't too uncommon. I've ran into more than a few people who feel that they can flush the forks up to try for more trail and stability in the setup.. I've never had good luck with that setup for any of our riders as it always runs wide.

IMO, going up 2mm in the rear will problem be a welcomed change. The 60 is only gonna be like 2mm or so taller. I don't think it'll be 5mm for you. If anything, you'll run less wide on corner exits under throttle with the new rear tire. Try it. Worst case you pull the shim at lunch or something.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good, I'll see how she handles. Rode a friends 07 for a session with the 60 three weeks ago at Barber, definitely takes some getting used to in my opinion, but I'll welcome more contact and hopefully better turn in.
Thanks for the help!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Sounds good, I'll see how she handles. Rode a friends 07 for a session with the 60 three weeks ago at Barber, definitely takes some getting used to in my opinion, but I'll welcome more contact and hopefully better turn in.
Thanks for the help!

Those tires suck to try to get turning quickly. The front tire profile is so squared on them. That's a battle you'll never win right there. I spent a fortune on these tires and testing in preparation for last years AMA rounds. They are a real bear to deal with man.

Let us know how it goes!

-
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 03:48 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

he lost me at "Screamin deal on the GPA" .. LOL.. Screaming is what some do when the find out how much less grip those ama spec tires have vs. nearly any other race rubber out there, including dunlops own UK ntec.

ok, funny business outa the way. As Anthony suggested, i would just put it on and ride it. Keep in mind you only use 2nd-4th gear at barber. Do NOT try to gear your bike for "6th on the longest straight" as the ol' wives tale goes.

IF you decide to pull the shim, as CSD said, you WILL have to raise the tank, break the large shock nut on top loose that holds the shackle to the frame, then put jack stands under the pegs, likely remove the rear wheel, drop the swingarm enough to allow the shim to come off the top of the shackle bolt.. Now that you have it off, use a dremmel to CUT the front away. This way you can slide it in and out by simply loosening the nut on top, you won't have to drop the swingarm all the way down.. When i was bouncing back/forth from the 180 to the 190 rears, we would just add/remove the shim according to which rear we used. Michelin still offers a 180 tire.. at THAT track, it may work VERY well with all the fast direction changes.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Tire ended up working out well at setting I already had! Loved the geo and didn't mess with it at all. On the back chicane the bike didn't flick quite as well, but definitely didn't go as wide as I was at my last day. However I can't decide now whether or not to stick with the 60 or to return to the 55 and set the geo close to how it was with the 60.
The only downside is with the 55 I was running a -1/+2 gearing at Barber, which I think I've come to find is a little too high. When putting on the 60 I didn't have enough clearance for the warmers, and only brought a spare 45 with me, forgetting about possible clearance issues. So, I ran the 60 on -1/+0, which in my opinion wasn't right. Bike felt very underpowered coming out of charlottes, museum and T2.

However, the only reason I was there this past weekend was to help a friend out and get him choosing better lines. He paid for my track day and gave me his 190/60 rear which had one day on it, so that is why I couldn't turn it down. Got him from low 1:50's to 1:42ish. Not bad, but still not where he could be with the bike he's on.
Despite the gearing mistake and getting use to difference in tire, still managed to turn a few 38's and 39's while I was waiting for him to get on the track (he's one of those guys that comes on 5 mins late and off a lap or two early lol, and it was his first advanced day)

To say the least I ended up liking the 60, but I did feel like it robbed the bike of some power with its extra weight. Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to stick with the 60 or go back to the 55 and try out different gearing.
What tires do you guys run?
My buddy was running the dunlop slicks
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

i run stock gearing with a 190/55 rear tire, and was running 1:32's lap times, this was in Aug, 2009 well before the recent repave (the repave is good for a little faster lap time as well).
I can not imagine how you would use -1/+2 gearing without reving to the moon .. are you are in 2nd gear in charlotes (t5) and the museum turn right ?? or are you in 3rd gear. If you are using 3rd to 5th that may work, but isn't how most are doing it.. 2nd to 4th gear.

I do see in my notes that i should try 16/46 gearing next time, but this is also using a 116 link chain. If i have the stock length chain of 114 links (as i do now) i run 15/43 gearing or 15/42 (same 16/45)

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

yeah, pretty sure, don't have gear indicator though so I'm not 100%. I do agree though, after running 15/45 it felt like the -1/+2 was way too much with the 55, I was maxing out my gears too quickly. However the motor is almost 100% stock. Previous owner had MJS header, Two Bros exhaust, PC5 and a BMC, but it he autotuned it himself. Since I've had it I switched the two bros out for GYTR, but it desperately needs a tune, runs very rich I think.
Suspension is also stock, which I feel like also holds me back. I think next time I go back I'm going to try the 55 on a 15/45 and see what that's like. Hopefully I can get a tune by then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in