Cofusion on Steering Damper - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Cofusion on Steering Damper

Hey guys Ive had my R6 for a few months and really love it. Ive heard a few of my friends (non sportbike riders) tell me i should grab a steering damper. Is it neccasery? Does it make a world of difference? If so what brand kind reccomended? I have a 04 R6 and havent really ever experienced speed wobbles or anything.

It does vibrate a little when your hard on the throttle. Is that what these are designed to cure? Im looking for something not super expensive but also willing to pay more if its something thats not worth cheaping out on.

Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 08 R6
Re: Cofusion on Steering Damper

I just put a scotts damper on my 08 r6 this spring and it certainly improved the stability on rough roads/hard acceleration. For the money I would definitely recommend it. Before you spend the money though I would try resetting all of your suspension adjustments. I noticed an improvement from that alone as the bike was not set up properly at all from the previous owner (left/right fork settings were off causing wobbles continuously).

Worth a try but either way I'm satisfied with the $465 investment and feel much more confident in the twisties.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid
It helps greatly. But u wont realize how important having one is until you:

1. Experience a speed wobble
2. Remove one from your bike.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

R6/R1 hybrid
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR V1 steering damper. Brembo RCS 19. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. ATC adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. HT Moto Rear Seat. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Naarden shark fin. 14/54t 520 gearing. Intergrated rear turn signals. Engine Ice. Shaved wind screen.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

Necessary no......... Helpful to alleviate a potential issue yes......

In detail it goes like this. Speed wobbles are a result of bad rider habits and bad suspension setup. The steering damper can in essence mask and or reduce the problem caused by these two attributes. Remember the problem is the speed wobble, the cause is the rider and the suspension setup. So if the damper can reduce or hide the problem, we still have not fixed the cause.

The question then becomes, do we ant to fix the cause of the problem, or simply the problem itself? If you blindly go out and get a damper without trying to fix the cause of the problem, you are going to continue to have bad riding habits and suspension setup. The root of the problem will still exist to some degree and may hold you back over the course of time?

If you take some time to research the true cause of speed wobbles you would quickly learn that they are a truly exceptable occurrence and can be ratified with simple suspension changes and rider behaviors. The speed wobble will still always rear it's ugly head at some point, but that point may be at a speed much higher than it currently is. It is foolish to simply get one for the sake of having one. However it is not a purchase in vain. At some point it will always come in handy, the only thing you have to consider is if it is money well spent on an item that is technically not needed at that time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Just lean harder...

Bike: 07 R6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post

In detail it goes like this. Speed wobbles are a result of bad rider habits and bad suspension setup. The steering damper can in essence mask and or reduce the problem caused by these two attributes. Remember the problem is the speed wobble, the cause is the rider and the suspension setup. So if the damper can reduce or hide the problem, we still have not fixed the cause.

The question then becomes, do we ant to fix the cause of the problem, or simply the problem itself? If you blindly go out and get a damper without trying to fix the cause of the problem, you are going to continue to have bad riding habits and suspension setup. The root of the problem will still exist to some degree and may hold you back over the course of time?

If you take some time to research the true cause of speed wobbles you would quickly learn that they are a truly exceptable occurrence and can be ratified with simple suspension changes and rider behaviors. The speed wobble will still always rear it's ugly head at some point, but that point may be at a speed much higher than it currently is. It is foolish to simply get one for the sake of having one. However it is not a purchase in vain. At some point it will always come in handy, the only thing you have to consider is if it is money well spent on an item that is technically not needed at that time?
Do you have one on your bike?

Modifications- PCV w/ Autotune, LCD, & Quick Shifter, GraveSport Slip-on, Slide Stops, K&N filter, Factory Pro +4 Ignition rotor, SuperFlare Velocity Stacks, AGG block off plates, Fren Tubo Type 4's, EBC HH Brake pads, 520 Driven Sprockets & EK ZZZ Chain, Penske 8987 shock, 07 USD Forks and Brakes in 05 Triples, ASV C5 Levers, Scotts Steering Damper, GYTR Carbon Chain Guard, GYTR Carbon Toe Guard, Canadian GYTR Frame Sliders, GYTR Carbon Tank Pad, BST Carbon Rear Fender, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator, UFO Integrated Tail Light, Metzler M5 D-Spec Tyres, Gilles Chain Adjusters & Lifters, Gilles Rear-sets, Powder Coated Passenger Rear-sets, GYTR Seat Cowl, SaddleMen Seat, Irate Customs Grill, Gregg's Flush Mount Signals, DDM 5K H.I.D.'s, Integrated Beltronics 985, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Care to go in depth a little as to some of those bad rider habits?

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 AM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoyd View Post
generally, too much input on the bars while under hard acceleration over uneven pavement will do it. you're supposed to hold yourself up by your torso and lower body, so if your arms are doing the work then you're doing it wrong.

happened to me on a part of the track that's bumpy and where i generally try to adjust my body position coming out of a corner. bad idea. but, if you get a damper before you learn to ride properly, you may never know you're doing something wrong...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 AM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen View Post
Do you have one on your bike?

because I set a front wheel down at least once a lap after hard acceleration on the track and the possibility of it going down crooked is a big deal. Generally I don't have weight on my bars unless I have an injury causing me to adjust by weighting bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoyd View Post

Sent from
Saturn pretty much covered them, weighting the bars is the biggest one.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I'd much rather work on correct body positioning / riding than spend a lot of money to fix a similar problem. I appreciate all the help!

Sent from
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

Yes I do have one on my machine. It is set at a very low setting that just eliminates the wobbles. Keep in mind however that I run in the A group and am faster than the average guy. This doesn't mean that I can't improve on things, but what it does mean is that I require very little arresting of the wobbles from the damper. Most of the work is done in rider habits and suspension setup.

Having a death grip on the bars is the quickest and easiest way to get a wobble in any situation. It usually occurs when hard on the gas out of corners, but can also occur when hard on the gas over bumps. Suspension setup can reduce, or increase the tendency of the phenomenon, but it cannot completely eliminate it. The rider habits are the predominate cause. A very loose and relaxed grip on the bars at all times is the easiest way to reduce the tendency for wobbles to occur.

Don't confuse my assessment as an anti steering damper theory. I simply know and believe that the damper is not a necessity and is simply a tool to improve the situation at hand. It cannot fix the problem, it can only reduce it. The problem still exists, the damper simply masks it and makes it less of a problem. Dampers are generally pricey units that have a pretty good stanza. The general consensus is that you can't live without one. The fact is that you can go very fast without one at all. At some point however, having one will be a much needed tool to improve times and reduce the phenomenon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in