tips/pointers? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Having trackday withdraws

Bike: 2009 R6
tips/pointers on body position?

Hey all, I just did my 2nd track day at NCCAR or NCBIKE, in North Carolina. I'm the one on the blue R6. I have come to the conclusion that you really have to stick your knee out there, I made a conscious effort to do it, but looking at the pics it's not even close to out far enough. Also in one of the pics you'll see a guy in a white suit. We chatted after a few sessions and he says that I'm trying to counter lean on corners. I would just like to verify if this was correct. It didn't feel like it, it doesn't look like it, but again I am new to this whole thing. I did end the day with scuffs on the knee sliders and I have no clue how they got there. I did feel like the front was almost going to wash out when I tried leaning further and going faster around the super long corner.

Basically what i'm asking, is how is my body position?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	147281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	147289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	147297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2762.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	147305  

Last edited by dsgamermike; 08-11-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: tips/pointers?

let me preface by saying you have the PERFECT track bike, i mean that. An 04r6 is awesome.. don't ever sell it, even if you get another bike, keep this for your track days.

like many new to track riders that come from the street, it takes time to get the body shifted to the inside. Look at the guy in white leathers, his body center is further to the inside, but his body isn't leaning any more than you are. shift the butt over, you don't have to "hang off" a great deal a-la MotoGP style, but you do wanna get your weight shifted to the inside a bit.. no need to make tons of changes, just keep at it and work on one thing at a time.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6
You're practically sitting straight up on the bike.

Always keep in mind that dragging a knee is a result of good body positioning and getting faster and faster in a corner. Just trying to drag, especially with that positioning will lead you to low side.

One cheek off the seat, titty on the tank(left tit on right side of tank when turning right for example) head looking through the corner.

I certainly need to get my chest on the tank more often in corners.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on that. I'll keep a conscious mind about where my butt ends up through out the corner. Do you have to lean with your back do you naturally have enough hang off the bike with just splitting your legs?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Don't take this the wrong way, but you should really get rid of your only goal of dragging knee. You should focus more on the proper braking/throttle control, along with improving body positioning. Trying to adjust your body position stricting with the goal of dragging knee in mind will land you on your ass very quickly.

I'm far from perfect, but every now and then I get it down pretty good. The big things I like to always maintain focus on:

Inner butt check off the seat
Looking THROUGH the corner, not just 15 feet in front of you
If a fist was coming out of your dash, would you get punched in the face? If so, you need to move your upper body over more. If you look through the turn, you'll notice you'll automatically do this.

Hand grip should always be loose on the bars, hanging onto your bike with your outer leg jammed into the tank and holding on with your core strength. Muscling the bars will result you in losing the front end. You can get away with a lot of bad bar input initially. However, as your pace increases, that safety margin gets smaller and smaller, and you continually get closer to reaching the tires maximum grip. Shitty technique will overload the front tire in a hurry.

My picture -

Looking through the turn - check
Inner butt check off seat - check
Not going to get punched in the face if a fist comes through the dash - check

Welcome to the addiction! How about positing up your video (Notice the cam on the helmet)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WERA_BARBER-20130511-4487 (Copy).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	147561  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert

Last edited by High Side; 08-11-2013 at 07:14 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

High Side has some excellent advice here. I'll add some emphasis and further clarification:

Body position starts with getting just a cheek off the seat and holding it there with your thighs and core only. You should not have any weight on your wrists.

Then as you lean the bike into the turn, think about leading the bike with the rest of your body. Turn your head and eyes into the turn and try to put your face where your mirrors would be - low and next to the windscreen. This will put your "tit on the tank" and your inside shoulder down.

Forget about your knee through this process. If you watch any racing series (AMA, Moto GP, World Superbike) you'll see that they use their knee only as a "feeler" to get a sense of how far over the bike is leaned. And after the knee makes contact, they'll actually lift it up off the ground. Guys like Mark Marquez do the same with their elbows! The whole idea is just to use your body position to decrease the load on your tires in cornering so you can carry more speed. And more speed will eventually lead to more lean angle as you get comfortable. Some day your knee will just touch and hopefully it will be a surprise to you because you'll be relaxed and focused on the rest of your body position.

That's the last thing I want to emphasize for you. The key to going faster around track, getting more corner speed and lean angle, is to be RELAXED. If you force it and try to stick your knee to the ground you'll be too tense and frustrate yourself. Focus on butt off, head looking through the turn, then upper body low and inside. Eventually your knee will touch once you are comfortable and relaxed. And above all HAVE FUN!!! Track riding can be intoxicating like no other. Welcome to your new addiction!

Last edited by RandomTask; 08-11-2013 at 07:15 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
That's the last thing I want to emphasize for you. The key to going faster around track, getting more corner speed and lean angle, is to be RELAXED. If you force it and try to stick your knee to the ground you'll be too tense and frustrate yourself. Focus on butt off, head looking through the turn, then upper body low and inside. Eventually your knee will touch once you are comfortable and relaxed. And above all HAVE FUN!!! Track riding can be intoxicating like no other. Welcome to your new addiction!
Just like he said, the first time I hit the knee pucks on the track I was not even expecting it. In fact, it startled me quite a bit feeling the pavement. Now it's second nature, and indeed used as a feeler gauge like he said. I have also started to tuck my legs up in certain corners, otherwise I wear them out in a hurry.

It's always a hoot seeing those motivated future knee draggers out there in beginner group - you can see the upper body frozen rock solid (Not relaxed AT ALL), straight up and down on the bike, bike hardly leaned over...with that knee almost 90 degrees sticking out. Can't fault them for not trying!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

very true about being relaxed on the bike.. keep in mind you have to have some weight on the bars to initiate a turn. And when having to get the bike to flick back and forth quickly , you will need to push AND pull at the same time (countersteering the bike big time) not just push on the inside bar..

And i wouldn't put too much emphasis on getting your chest on the tank all the time. Some very fast riders have an upright body position. Martin Cardenas, Colin Edwards, Larry Pegram, just to name a few. Find what works for you..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Ya'll have are awesome! I'm going to try to remember these things next time I go out. As far as the video goes. I again did not get very good video. Basically all you can see is the dash or the ground. The record trying to record myself is 0 for a million. I do give props to the replay camera, way easier to mount than a gopro square.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I eat my R6

When I was learning and getting advice the thing that did it for me was "kiss the mirror." Granted the mirrors are removed, or folded, but the goal was to get my head out there and pointed into the turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in