CCS RACING Bike Prep - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

CCS RACING Bike Prep

Searched, couldn't find any answers.
Has anyone prepped a 1st gen for CCS? I have the bike torn down to a bare frame right now. (going through everything to make sure it's not going to implode on itself)
I know I need to safety wire the oil drain bolt, filler cap and put a worm clamp on the spin on filter then safety wire that. What about the hex bolt I found on the side of the engine that also appears to be a drain bolt?
The worm clamps that hold the coolant hoses and such on, do they need to be safety wired in some way? What about the bolt holding the oil cooler on the front? Radiator cap?
I know I will need,
fluid catch pan (race fairings)
hardened engine cases (anyone have any experience with fabricating your own "slider" for stock casings?
safety wire pliers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: CCS RACING Bike Prep

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

scroll down to the bike tech part.
I don't know if hand fabricated case covers will be approved, but if they look like some other aftermarket ones you see they should be. There are a number of companies that make em.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I have read the CCS rules a few times over. I must be over thinking it or just looking for someone to explain it to me like I'm 5. I'd hate to mess up or skip something so that's why I've turned to you guys!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

i can tell you ya can't OVER safetywire and outfit your bike. You won't get a penalty for doing too much preventative stuff.

everything you listed above is needed other than some of the coolant hose clamp wiring. The oil cooler bolt is not required to be wired, but DAMN it's a good idea. I have mine wired. Coolant drain is not required, but again, not a bad idea. Caliper and pinch bolts used to be required but not any longer. Nearly all calipers are radial mounted and they simply can not back out if loose the way older style side mount caliper bolts would. I have 2 friends that had career ending crashes from caliper bolts that backed out on the old style calipers.

i suggest going to the ccs racing discussion forum for more answers .. will likely get more replies as all of the users there are ccs racers.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Melk - do you safety wire to spring clips for the frequently removed stuff - aka, stuff that needs to be removed for tire changes. Maybe it's a non-issue since it sounds like CCS doesn't require most of it to be wired in the first place (calipers, pinch bolts).

I'm sure in expert 600s and 1000s everyone's got radial mounted calipers, but there's still plenty of new guys on older bikes, or vintage racers, or lightweights that are still running machinery that has the side-mount calipers. And don't forget your favorite bike has them too!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The OP is also racing a 1st gen, so it definitely applies to him.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Ah perfect, thanks mate!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Just to add, the 99 r6 I have does have the R1 front end swapped on to it, if that makes a difference.

Nevermind, I see the difference between traditional and radial now. Traditional, the caliper bolts go in 90degrees to the rotor, radial the go in straight down. Right?

Last edited by stofficer2; 08-14-2013 at 10:44 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Melk - do you safety wire to spring clips for the frequently removed stuff - aka, stuff that needs to be removed for tire changes. Maybe it's a non-issue since it sounds like CCS doesn't require most of it to be wired in the first place (calipers, pinch bolts).

I'm sure in expert 600s and 1000s everyone's got radial mounted calipers, but there's still plenty of new guys on older bikes, or vintage racers, or lightweights that are still running machinery that has the side-mount calipers. And don't forget your favorite bike has them too!
The OP is also racing a 1st gen, so it definitely applies to him.
I always ran clips with wire ran between that keeps em from rotating, on the caliper bolts of my 03-04 and even 05 bikes (then didn't bother after that). I highly suggest at least using clips with safety wire running between them on non-radial caliper bolts. Honestly don't know if they are required any longer. WERA also freed up some safety wire regs, they used to require header bolts to be safety wired. If the header comes off, it's hanging in the belly pan. Not sure if that's why they did away with that rule, but not required.

I don't safety wire my header springs or mid pipe springs. The LeoVince ones are very good, the hindle ones i had on my 05 were junk. They broke from vibration all the time, those i safety wired. pinch bolts don't need wired.

Again, if you have a 1st gen or 03-04/S model, you best safety wire the caliper bolts, or at least have a clip on each with wire between that is short enough to keep the clips in line so the bolts can't back out.. regardless if tech requires it or not..

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by stofficer2 View Post
Just to add, the 99 r6 I have does have the R1 front end swapped on to it, if that makes a difference.

Nevermind, I see the difference between traditional and radial now. Traditional, the caliper bolts go in 90degrees to the rotor, radial the go in straight down. Right?
non-radial caliper bolts, that come in at the 90d to the rotor, if loose, will turn a little every time you hit the brakes. Usually the left side caliper, as that's the one that if the caliper goes up the bolt turns outward. But the right one can back out too if the inside part of the caliper bolt hole is what is rubbing on the caliper bolt. Regardless. It only takes ONE caliper to fall off for you to have zero brake pressure the next time you go for the brakes.
2 friends had this occur. Once in 2003 to Cameron Sydenham on his sv650. of course it was the longest straight at Moroso speedway where it came off. He was in the hospital for a week with a punctured lung when his bike landed on him after flipping when he crashed. He and his stepdad were in a rush to change to rain wheels. Remember that well as we pitted together.
Next time was WIlliam Meyers on his 04r6 in 04. (he's now a pro race bike mechanic for Celtic racing and other teams). His r6 caliper came off entering turn 3 at JenningsGP after a tire change, mid race. Huge crash but he was less hurt.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stofficer2 View Post

Radial mount:

Traditional mount:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in