Track Boots help**** - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Respect It

Bike: 2012 YZF-R6 Raven
Talking Track Boots help****

Whats up everyone-

A noob question perhaps here but I feel like I need to ask our community a question about the boots I have.

I just picked up some SIDI ST AIR boots from motostorm ($335)
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

After my first (very quick ride with them out of the box around town) I noticed a few 'quirks' about them; not sure if it just comes with the territory or not.

1- Yes, they are track boots and not meant for walking (comfort level), rather riding however, I am not quite sure how 'tight' fitting these boots should be. My large toe is right past the shift pads on the boots so it seems like its a perfect fit in length. How tight/snug should the calf locks be? Is there a proper way to lock your foot into the boot? e.g.> lock the boots on while your ankle is bent to seat your foot deeper in the boot?

2-Going from wearing regular leather boots to the ST's, its harder to manipulate the shifter / brake levers. I could really feel when I would shift with leather boots (not much padding im guessing why) and transitioning from up/down-shifting with thinner boots seemed quicker and easier. I am assuming this is just because they are literally brand new and will break in? As well as taking some getting used too?

-Do the boots need to be broken in?
--Whats the break-in period roughly?

-Any tips/suggestions about care, use, and techniques with these boots would be awesome!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks in advance-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: Track Boots help****

Transitioning into boots definitely takes some time to get used to. Boots do need a break in period so if you wear them around your house for a few days, you should be good. Sidis are very comfortable as well. I commuted in my Sidi Vertigo Airs for a while too. I know the Sidi Vertigo Airs have the calf tightness adjustments but not sure about the ST.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Bike: 2014 Yamaha R6
Garage

I owned a pair of the Sidi Fusion and I loved them for shifting. I could feel everything. Problem was I got very uncomfortable for the length of trips I was doing. For track I think any Sidi boots would be awesome but for street I prefer Alpinestars. Mine did take a bit of riding to break in. All depends on how much riding you do and how much your foot sweats. You can go to a shoe repair place and they normally have ways to loosen it up just a bit.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 PM
160MPH bike; 40MPH brain

Bike: 2005 YZF-R6

I have a pair of SIDI ST air as well, love them.
They were tight in the beginning but started to loosen up after a week on the bike. Shifting was weird at first but once the ankle area of the boot loosened up it was much easier.

Get ready for some squeakiness though
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

I've tried on many many boots, the only ones that I've felt that were super comfy and basically required no break in are the A* SMX Plus'. All other boots were very hard to pivot and seemed just too stiff for my liking. I'm sure they'd soften up over time though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca

give them some time to break in, I've got a pair of ST airs and love them. Though I'm only out at the track anymore

Break in time will vary on how much you wear them and move around in them. I think for me it took about 2 full trackdays to loosen up and they feel great know.

Join the XBL Races on MotoGp 14 here

Join the XBL Races on SBKX here

Chat thread here

600 Superbike Series Novice # 277
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk277 View Post
give them some time to break in, I've got a pair of ST airs and love them. Though I'm only out at the track anymore

Break in time will vary on how much you wear them and move around in them. I think for me it took about 2 full trackdays to loosen up and they feel great know.
this, and i also noticed i had to adjust the shift linkage a bit.

sig by milko

my build thread-

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

sidi vortice thread/

My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in