What are the differances in the 3rd gens??? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

What are the differances in the 3rd gens???

What Fellas!
I've decided that to come back to track riding and racing that I want a newer bike and may do another build to a 2nd gen later on to use the stuff I have and run a modern vintage class with it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but from bikes I've see at the track and from reading things here and there the 08+ 6's are better and faster then the 06-07. Just wanted to know why. I see more 06-07's fs cheaper but if its that much better then I'll want to spend more to get the 08.
I've ridden an 06 and it may have been the bike but it felt worlds differant then my 03 I didnt like it at all. It was faster down the straights but my bike felt way better in the corners. This was only for 8 laps back to back I ran half of an endurance on the 06 then swaped and ran the rest on mine.
Some of this I think was the 06 not being set up very good.
Some of you transition from the 2nd to 3rd + and what did you guy notice?
Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 PM
your gunna love my nuts!

Bike: 08 R6
Re: What are the differances in the 3rd gens???

08 they made a bunch of changes to the engines internals from 06/07. R6 got a little more restricted after 08 and re-mapped i believe. I could definitely be wrong. Im guessing you would have to be a pretty good rider to tell the differences. If your gonna build a track bike with custom maps and tuning i dont think it matters. If you want the most potent stock bike its gonna be 05 or 08.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

'08+ later has variable intake length. There's a servo that changes the position of the velocity stacks based on RPM so you get the best of both worlds for low-end torque and high-end horsepower.

'08+ later has longer fork tubes, so you can potentially make the bike sit taller in the front. The 06/07 is known for being a bit twitchy.

Throttle is also restricted in the ECU to 80%, even when you go to the stops. Getting a flash will fix this. Not sure which year this went into effect.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
'08+ later has variable intake length. There's a servo that changes the position of the velocity stacks based on RPM so you get the best of both worlds for low-end torque and high-end horsepower.

'08+ later has longer fork tubes, so you can potentially make the bike sit taller in the front. The 06/07 is known for being a bit twitchy.

Throttle is also restricted in the ECU to 80%, even when you go to the stops. Getting a flash will fix this. Not sure which year this went into effect.
That Is correct. But the 06/07 also have the exup servo. And I think the throttle went into restriction in 06

CVMA #691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2012 Black/White R6

I know it has to do with emissions but what are the main/specific differences between a California and non California R6 08+?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedRoads View Post
I know it has to do with emissions but what are the main/specific differences between a California and non California R6 08+?
I think the only difference, as on basically every motorcycle, is that the CA models have the charcoal canister thing.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

What kind of rwhp numbers are we looking at? Considerably more then an 03?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
I think the only difference, as on basically every motorcycle, is that the CA models have the charcoal canister thing.
a CA throttle body has 2 vacuum hoses that are connected to the front. i have no idea what they do, but i got a used set on Ebay and had to cap them off (no issues once capped) I have got 2 used sets since then and other bikes, and never saw those again.
Not sure if there are other things with the CA bikes or not.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 04:24 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:

yup. All that, and the lower triple clamp is higher on the fork tubes for the 08+ for more fork flex (more front end feel), as well the frame has a support that runs from side to side under the airbox on the 06-07 (not there on the 08+ again for more flex/feel).
there were some minor engine refinements in 08+ too, going from 12.7:1 pistons to 13:1 (or thereabouts). Wider crank journals too.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2012 Black/White R6

Op, this maybe old news to you since you've been on this forum longer then me but the 08 was the quickest followed by the 09. For some reason Yamaha re mapped the 10+ to be a bit slower. I'm going to guess somthing to do with emissions. I'm sure others could better explain this if its new to you.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
a CA throttle body has 2 vacuum hoses that are connected to the front. i have no idea what they do, but i got a used set on Ebay and had to cap them off (no issues once capped) I have got 2 used sets since then and other bikes, and never saw those again.
Not sure if there are other things with the CA bikes or not.
Thanks for the info fellas, been searching the forum and goolge about the differences since I managed to get a non cali model in socal lol. No real luck in my search. Figured this was the proper thread to ask said question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in