Foot position - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition
Foot position

I know most people will say that you should put the balls of your foot on the tip of the footpeg and turn it outwards and lock your heel against the swingarm or heelguard, but I found out that it did not feel all that comfortable for me on my first trackday. It felt like I was forcing my feet to go into that position and didn't feel natural. I'm wondering if I just need more seat time or just need to find a different foot position that works for me.

Here are some couple videos of some good riders with with "different" foot positions than what is normally taught..They have their toes on the tip of the footpeg, but they don't turn it outwards and their heels are pretty far away from the heelguard/swingarm, but still have the triangle of daylight. Going to have to experiment with this foot positioning and see what it feels like.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris
06 GSXR 750
08 Track R6 RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 PM
My R6 eats me.

From my experience the main thing is that the ball of your foot is on the pegs to aid in transitioning from one side to the other through the turns and the ability to grip the tank with your thighs. Heel position is personal preference in my opinion. Squeezing the tank with your thighs naturally takes pressure off your heals and squeezing your heels to the bike relaxes your thighs. Focusing on both Seems unnatural like you said. I would focus on body position and let your heels do what they do naturally.

Sent from
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Re: Foot position

Here is another good foot position to try.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 AM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

I'll comment more later but balls of your feet is the best starting position to keep from inadvertently hitting the brake or shifter while on track. Advanced....i.e. AMA riders are using the arches of their feet and moving the inside foot back to the ball for extra ground clearance.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
ttd
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

O.P. are you talking about the inside or outside foot?

The outside foot is the one that I put on the ball and rest the heel against the guard... I'm actually pressing up with my calf muscle on the outside foot to lock my knee under the tank lip. Once I do that, it pretty much locks me onto the bike and I can let go of the bars.

My inside foot is also on the ball area, but as the Hayden and Paris videos show, the heel flops around a bit depending on how much or little the knee is dragging.

Tony
Ride the Track!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

my outside peg is always in the middle of my foot. why ? so you can shift, use the brake, or push on the peg, and it's more comfortable. When you stand the bike up, your feet will need to have the peg in the middle to shift or use the rear brake anyway..
My opinion is only move the inside foot back as you set up for the turn.

look at a good variety of roadrace photos. In many, you will see the outside peg in the middle of the foot. Occasionally you can find a rider that always keeps the foot back, but that gets uncomfortable and is more work if you ask me..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 PM
ttd
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
my outside peg is always in the middle of my foot. why ? so you can shift, use the brake, or push on the peg, and it's more comfortable. When you stand the bike up, your feet will need to have the peg in the middle to shift or use the rear brake anyway..
I agree that many top riders do this... I watch them on TV and I tried to duplicate, but I guess I've been doing it on the balls of my feet for too long.

Also, If I leave my outside foot in the middle, I can't seem to get any leverage to lock my outside knee into the tank. Being only 5'8" might have something to do with it but I need to be on the ball of my foot to be able to press up enough to lock in.

I don't use rear brake so my right foot really never leaves the ball of my feet. (yes, I tried using rear brake too, but just couldn't get it all coordinated)

Tony
Ride the Track!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Its subjective. Really whatever makes you comfortable and is functional is fine.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Its subjective. Really whatever makes you comfortable and is functional is fine.
Not quite, at higher levels it becomes necessary to use rear brake and/or catch shifts mid corner.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Not quite, at higher levels it becomes necessary to use rear brake and/or catch shifts mid corner.
That's what I mean by functional. If you have little feet you can stay on the arch and brake/shift. I have big feet so I have to stay on the ball or my feet stick to far out. So to say ball is better than the arch isn't true for everyone

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in