Proper Track Etiquette When Warming Up Bike? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Proper Track Etiquette When Warming Up Bike?

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 R6 track bike and I have a question that I have searched for but can't seem to find a good answer for and was hoping you track guys that also are very technical minded could help. When I go out to ride in a session on the track I feel like it is very important to warm up the bike, not just the tires but also the engine/drivetrain. So for at least 2 laps I take it very easy and very slow yet I continue to see guys fire their bikes up at the pit head right to the start line and hammer the living $hit out of their bike from the get go. Am I being too cautious? How long does it take the engine/drivetrain to warm up? I assuming you need to be "moving" to warm up the tranny and obviously I wouldn't want to do any less than AT LEAST 1 lap to warm up the tires.

1999 Ducati 748 Monoposto | 2001 R6 Track Bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Proper Track Etiquette When Warming Up Bike?

I will fire the engine up about a half hour before the first session and get the engine up to temp and turn it off. This allows the engine to heat soak and be completely warm by the time I'm ready to go. Once I do this, I'll turn the bike on at first call and usually it'll be ready to hammer down out of the gate.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
I will fire the engine up about a half hour before the first session and get the engine up to temp and turn it off. This allows the engine to heat soak and be completely warm by the time I'm ready to go. Once I do this, I'll turn the bike on at first call and usually it'll be ready to hammer down out of the gate.
Ok, I'm assuming your using tire warmers then correct? For me I'm not so what would you suggest for tires? Also aren't you hammering the tranny in a cold state without at least a lap or 2 to warm it up as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Well the engine and transmission share the same oil, so if the oil in the motor is warm then the oil in the transmission is warm too.

Here's some advice about warm up from Eric Dorn of EDR Performance.

Quote:
Immediately after startup, hold idle to around 2K for the first few moments as oil pressure will be low for those few moments and the higher idle will raise oil psi to within safe pressures.

Heat soak start it and let it idle till over 190 F degrees then shut it off.

1st Call

Warm it up again to 180-200 F degrees, shut it down. When you get last call for race or practice start it up again should be near 150 F degrees, by the time you get thru pit and to the S/F line on the out lap it should be back up to operating temperature and should be ready to rip.
Quote:
FEEL THE CLUTCH COVER if its cold but the water temp is warm..its NOT READY...the water has a thermostat/heats much faster!
Quote:
Also 150water temp is NOT WARM..not even close! HEAT SOAK man...you need to get bike up to even 200* in the am...then shut it off..the water will drop in temp slowly but the cases/engine/oil will continue to warm up and get to correct temp before you head out. Then when you restart for your session, the water jumps up fast due to thermostat and water heats faster than oil..but you already got the oil up to temp.
Here's what I do at a trackday:

Start it up, hold idle up as described above.
Wait for the "LO" on the temp read out to go away. Ride it over to tech and shut it down (it's not warm yet, but leaving it running annoys everybody).
Ride it back to your pit and let it idle until the clutch cover is hot to the touch. My temp usually doesn't get above 180 while idling on a cool morning. Shut it down and go to the riders meeting.
While you are away the water temp is falling but the hot oil is continuing to heat soak everything.
1st call to grid, start it back up. 2nd call to grid, it's fully warm and ready to go.
I hammer it WFO out of the hot pit because remember that hard acceleration and braking is the best way to warm your tires.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber_Duc View Post
Ok, I'm assuming your using tire warmers then correct? For me I'm not so what would you suggest for tires? Also aren't you hammering the tranny in a cold state without at least a lap or 2 to warm it up as well?
I do one warm up lap since I don't run warmers.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Wait...You don't just pin the shit in the garage???
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't get why some people complain about noise, on a racetrack...I get it, but I don't get it..Meh..

I've actually never thought of this since I don't run warmers ,yet, and slow groups do sighting laps...

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

It's been a little while since I've run street tires at the track now, but this was my approach...

Running modern street tires without warmers, I find it only takes about 1/2 - 3/4 of a lap for the tires to start coming in, provided cold pressures are right, and you're accelerating and braking HARD, but keeping corner speeds down.

So, 1 lap of consciously trying to warm up the tires, but probably takes 2-3 laps before I get into the groove and I'm running my full pace. My brain takes longer to warm up than the tires.
jason.carbone.7 likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber_Duc View Post
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 R6 track bike and I have a question that I have searched for but can't seem to find a good answer for and was hoping you track guys that also are very technical minded could help. When I go out to ride in a session on the track I feel like it is very important to warm up the bike, not just the tires but also the engine/drivetrain. So for at least 2 laps I take it very easy and very slow yet I continue to see guys fire their bikes up at the pit head right to the start line and hammer the living $hit out of their bike from the get go. Am I being too cautious? How long does it take the engine/drivetrain to warm up? I assuming you need to be "moving" to warm up the tranny and obviously I wouldn't want to do any less than AT LEAST 1 lap to warm up the tires.
as most have stated, it is a VERY good idea to warm the engine well before you hit the track.
I if the engine has a good 20-30 min to heat soak as already described, the trans and clutch will all be good and warm. The key is to do it well ahead of time. Just starting the bike stone cold, watching the gauge go from "Lo" to 185F does not mean the entire engine and trans is 185f.. but that just the temp sensor screwed into the cylinder head is reading the passing coolant temp.
I like the idea posted earlier about feeling the clutch cover, but doing it 20-30 min ahead, then warming it up a bit before 3rd call, is a good way to go.

I can't tell you what to do about warmers.. other than GET some.

A) they are not that expensive if you are already doing track days. Get good ones, resale is amazing on them..
B) you avoid wasting a lap or two "warming" them up. You paid a bunch for your track time, going fast is fun. slow is not.
C) less likely to have a cold tire crash (so how much did they cost ??)
D) the tires will work BETTER during the time they are on your bike due to fewer "heat cycles". Putting on warmers, riding, back on warmers, riding, back on warmers.. is like one heat cycle vs. multiple heat cycles. Heat cycles degrade tire performance if done enough times. This is NOT as big a deal on street only tires (or even street/sport tires), as they are a totally different composition of material that is designed for multiple heat cycles. Race rubber works best with fewer heat cycles, or one heat cycle.
jason.carbone.7 likes this.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, this makes a lot of sense, not sure why I was thinking the trans needed to be moving to warm it up. I'll definitely employ the suggestion of heat soaking well before hand and still take the first lap a little easy then nail it! I'm going to be at Putnam this Saturday with Moto Series, looking forward to it!

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

I usually run my bike on the rear stand in 4th gear. Even if you let the bike idle... the rpms are around 2k or so. Circulating the oil with a load heats it up faster. I usually feel the engine near the stator (crank level) for adequate operating temp.
Also running it on the rear stand warms your chain as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in