Trackday video on my 06 R6 at WSIR "Big Willow" - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Trackday video on my 06 R6 at WSIR "Big Willow"

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OH SHIT!!.... cant believe I ran it completely dry... the light had just come on when sitting in pre-grid, I never have used so much gas in 1 track day and in 1 session... this could have ended horribly but thank God I was able to get off the track quickly and thankfully my buddy on the ZX10R didn't collect my ass.... He was right behind me as the bike choked and shut off....

This was my first time tracking my 06 R6, and all I can say is I love this bike, WOW! coming from tracking my 08 CBR 1k the R6 just feels so easy to throw around and smooth strong power out the corners.... instead of ridiculous scary power, I enjoyed myself so much more for the simple fact that I didnt feel intimidated by the power... Top end on this bike from 14k to 17.5 has to be the best sounding bike on earth.... That sick F1 sound I just cant get enough!
also I was very surprised in the straights it did awesome I thought I would get left in the dust by the liter bikes... but they didn't seem to pull away very hard at all... Im not a super fast rider (yet) but I feel I was able to step up my game with this bike.... I threw the new 190/60/17 Dunlop 211GPA on and had Ed Sorbo ( SUPER AWESOME GUY!!) setup my suspension from Lindeman Engineering
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at the track with Motoyard. ED Sorbo was able to make my bike feel like I was seriously on rails.... It was amazing I never felt that way before, the combo of the new 211GPA's and the suspension made a night and day difference... The craziest thing is I went faster and my tires wore less.... He setup my buddies ZX10 R and his tires also looked like we did a couple of laps not a full trackday...Normally he would trash a set of 211GP's in less than a full day...Also it was nice to hear him tell me that the R6 comes stock with the best suspension because of the high speed damper adjustment .. we are both going to have him re-valve our suspension front and rear...

Love my R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Trackday video on my 06 R6 at WSIR "Big Willow"

Uh, yeah, if the gas light comes on during pre-grid, you're not going to make it through the full session.
Especially at Big Willow where you spend very little time out of the gas.

I never do more than 3 laps with the light on. Glad you didn't get a Kawasaki enema!

I'm not a big fan of the way Ed sets up bikes. Dials in waaay too much compression and it makes the bike not turn. Have had a few friends have similar experiences. Gotta do what works for you though.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '06 50th R6

I was out there on Sunday riding in B group too. I was on the 06 50th. Was really nice of that guy to give us a lunch break by leaking oil all over the track
Great day otherwise

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I didnt realize how much gas you can go through on that track... 1st and last time that will happen..... Yeah a Kawi enema would have been the end of my trackdays at least for a while im sure....lol
Not sure about how he set it .... I just let him do his thing, gave him feedback and he would check or adjust the suspension after each session...
Never felt the bike hard to turn in, it feels awesome in every way for me and my friend said the same for his bike too... So yeah it worked for me .... I know ED has been doing this for almost as long as Ive been alive, he is very passionate about what he does and is on top of his game as far as we were concerned... To each his own always....
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmf267 View Post
I was out there on Sunday riding in B group too. I was on the 06 50th. Was really nice of that guy to give us a lunch break by leaking oil all over the track
Great day otherwise
no shit oil for days right in the middle of the track into the super high speed turn 8 ..... Yeah I remember you on the yellow 50th I was towards the back of the group only my second track day in B group, and first on this bike, but Im improving every track day for sure.....

Do you know what caused the oil spill? did dude blow up that gixer? or what...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '06 50th R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layzieyegunman View Post
no shit oil for days right in the middle of the track into the super high speed turn 8 ..... Yeah I remember you on the yellow 50th I was towards the back of the group only my second track day in B group, and first on this bike, but Im improving every track day for sure.....

Do you know what caused the oil spill? did dude blow up that gixer? or what...
I'm not really sure what happened, but that's my best guess. All I show was a cloud of smoke and then the oil line starting just after turn 7. Guy would have kept going if they hadn't run out on the track to get his attention. His day got a little more expensive paying for the cleanup
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Paying for clean up?

Also, that track surface doesn't appear inspiring...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Paying for clean up?

Also, that track surface doesn't appear inspiring...

Yeah it don't look too pretty but its pretty smooth IMO...
The front end gets kinda bumpy at high speed entry but cleans up if you get on it enough lightening the front through the long sweepers.....
Yeah 10 dollars per bag of that white powder they use ...... Sucks to be that guy.... have your track day cut short, everyone is mad at you, have to pay for the cleanup, and you have a blown engine to top it off.... No Thanks...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Quote:
The front end gets kinda bumpy at high speed entry but cleans up if you get on it enough lightening the front through the long sweepers.....
Yeah 10 dollars per bag of that white powder they use ...... Sucks to be that guy.... have your track day cut short, everyone is mad at you, have to pay for the cleanup, and you have a blown engine to top it off.... No Thanks...
I haven't been yet, but plan to at some point.

Damn; this is the very first I've heard of an org making you pay to clean up...Then again, I don't really hear about a bunch of peeps spilling oil at the track (only Fallis)..

Sucks.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Have you been anywhere but Big Willow yet? Chuckwalla & Fontana are like glass compared to that place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in