Is quick throttle a must for you? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Is quick throttle a must for you?

bump thread.........i have the exact same issue that Gurk described - and on the same vintage R6 to boot!

Gurk did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 AM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
bump thread.........i have the exact same issue that Gurk described - and on the same vintage R6 to boot!

Gurk did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?
His issue could have been tune... but it just as easily could have been lack of smooth throttle application. Shortening the throw means that you have to be even smoother when opening the throttle and rolling on.

FWIW I'm a fan of the Graves throttle tube. Costs more than the motion pro, but the initial roll on is more gradual like the stock tube, and then it ramps up so you get the benefit of a quick turn. Best of both worlds imo.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 AM

Thank you, yes suspect it's a case of me whacking the throttle although interestingly a very experienced racer just mentioned to me that he had a hard time adjusting to the motion pro .

Have you tried the motion pro also? Is there a big difference? I checked and the graves has rave reviews and is only a few dollars more. Is it worth getting if I already have the motio pro one? Cheers!

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Wow this is strange ....the graves one is 129$ so actually costs less than the motion pro which was about 100 English pounds!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

Here is a pic comparing the stock to the graves. You can see the gradual ramp at the beginning, and then the rest of it is a similar smaller circumference for a shorter throw.

There are plenty of people who are fast with the stock tube, and fast with the motion pro, and fast with the graves. This is really one of those personal preference things. I personally prefer the graves because, combined with a good tune, the bike does not get upset at all when adding throttle from full closed. And I could not get to full throttle consistently with the stocker. So I would say it is worth a try.

Fwiw it took me no time at all to adapt to the graves from the stocker. Just felt smooth and right from day 1.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 AM

Thanks very much, most helpful.

I guess difficult metric for a progressive throttle but overall how much would you say is the reduction in the throw distance for full throttle (versus stock).

Am going to place an order now.

Fyi just saw the new motion pro short throttle and they've started including a progressive wheel as well - but that apparently is similar to stock up to 40% throttle opening before the effects of the shorter throw are noticeable. That's too long for my liking ...graves it is then
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

I'm on an '05 with a Motion Pro, and really like it. I've got a telemetry on the bike, and it helped tremendously with getting to full throttle.

The lack of progressiveness isn't that big of a deal. I noticed it leaving the hot pit the first time I rode with it, but was totally comfortable with it after riding a session.

The Motion Pro also has a bunch of reels to choose from, so you can find the right balance of short throw vs. twitchiness for you.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 PM

yeah i guess its a case of getting used to it. i cant figure out why i got comfortable using the second largest reel with my last r6 (same vintage) but i struggle with that reel on the current bike and have had to downsize to one smaller....
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 PM

thanks for the various replies and PMs guys, appreciated!

im giving some thought to fabricating my own throttle wheel. i have the largest motion pro wheel which is too aggressive for me to use. so thinking about reducing the circumference of the wheel for the initial part by sanding it down - so that it essentially becomes a progressive throttle. the thing thats confusing me now is which side of the throttle wheel do i sand - should this be the side of the throttle opening cable or the closing cable??
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 04:49 AM
Yamaha 4 Life

Old thread, but what the hell!

The quick answer, yes, it is.

The OEM throttle has such a long throw that is requires me to readjust my wrist out on the track to get to full throttle which is super annoying.

The throttle twitchiness that the OP refers to can be corrected with an ECU flash and will no longer be an issue, even with the largest 50mm throttle wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in