The mental game - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 07R6, 16RSV4
The mental game

OK weird topic day today. I'm bored so bare with me.

I believe most of us can agree that riding a motorcycle fast is as mental (if not more than) it is a physical challenge.

We see motoGP riders (namely marquez) crash at a free practice and go out again 5 minutes later to break lap records.

How do they do it?

How do you do it?

I personally have crashed only twice in 2 years of pure track riding history. After my crash, 2-3 following track days I've done were complete disaster. I wasn't able to lean at all. I was suuuper slow. It really mind *****ed me. At that point I was a complete noob too so that didn't help.

Second crash was recent. 1st trackday after the crash was a wash. I was really slow. 2nd started really bad too. Saturday my best was 10 secs down on my personal best. But Sunday I got down to 5 secs within.

Still not good enough. But I found that the best way in this situation is just throwing yourself in more and more practice to get over it as fast as you can.

REALIZING that it's 99% in your head helps a lot. I could've blamed the bike or just chalk it up as a "ehhh not my day today" but I realized I was just being a p*ssy and tried to push myself a bit harder...

Don't get me wrong I'm still a major p*ssy
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But how do you approach post crash riding? How do you get over it and go just as fast as you were. Do you slow down at all after a crash? Or are you like Marquez? Get annoyed and go even faster.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800
Re: The mental game

This is why it is important to understand why you crashed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 07R6, 16RSV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I absolutely did. On both occasions. But it still slowed me down.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

i went right back out and did my usual lap times right after my crash this year. analyze why it happened, try your best to learn from it and move on. mistakes happen, that's how we improve. dwelling on it won't help. you let it stay in your head. i think i must've just extracted the lesson from my actions and continued. if that's the case, you're fighting a personal battle that only you have the answer to...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post

But how do you approach post crash riding? How do you get over it and go just as fast as you were. Do you slow down at all after a crash? Or are you like Marquez? Get annoyed and go even faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I think it is first of all important to understand why you crashed so that you can ensure that you don't do it again. Were you on the brakes too long in the turn, did you run wide, did you try to ride too fast on cold tires etc…First step is to figure this out, like really figure it out.

Then I think you want to pick one thing to work on at a time and begin building your confidence back up. How quickly you are able to do this will depend on each rider but I think if you have something SPECIFIC to work on when you go back out you will less likely be nervous about your previous crash and you will be more dedicated to conquering your fear.

For example, if you crashed because you carried the brakes into the corner too far then I would work on adjusting your RP's for that corner, changing up your braking marker and maybe giving yourself an "End of braking marker" to work on. From there you can add more RP's to your overall amount and work up your pace a little at a time.

If you simply try to go out and ride around at the pace you did before you will struggle, but if you give yourself a systematic approach to building yourself back up you will improve.

Reference points are a great place to start but what other skills might you want to choose as your "one thing" to work on?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in