Suspension Feedback & Advice - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory
Suspension Feedback & Advice

Participated in the last track day of the year @ NJMP yesterday - weather turned out to be great and small groups meant there was plenty of space and time to work on stuff. As my track times increased and lap times decreased I've noticed a behavior from my suspension. The most apparent place where it was felt in the transition of direction and getting back on throttle - it seems to bounce a bit. Didn't feel very planted and found myself having to work a bit harder in regards to the change in direction and getting back on the gas simultaneously.

I have an Ohlins front end with a 25mm kit but a stock rear shock. I am a larger rider, about 260 fully geared. I guess my questions are: what exactly might be the issue (rebound, compression, etc) and what would you guys advise in regards to further suspension adjustment? Is the rear stock shock fine, but maybe a beefier spring to couple the weight or should I invest in a complete upgrade? Maybe just springs on the front end?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800
Re: Suspension Feedback & Advice

I would say you definitely need to respiring the shock. That's probably a bit more weight that it was set up for at the factory. If you want to upgrade the stock unit, without shelling out for an Ohilins, have it re-valved too.

As far as helping you tune your suspension; that's not really something that can be done over the internet. I mean, people can give you suggestions to go out and try, but you are going to save yourself a lot of time and aggravation by just paying your local suspension dude to do it next time head out to the track.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
MITICO

Thanks thedub, you're 100% right about the suspension tuning - I guess due to my lack of understanding regarding "specific" suspension components and behaviors I was looking for a snapshot of what things do. For example, when you adjust your preload, what's the effect? Rebound, dampening, etc.

To get that stuff dialed in I'd just invest in a track side service, there's a reputable shop ere in the NE who's present at NJMP days and I can work with him all day about dialing it in to what I need.

Thanks a lot!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

That stock rear spring is way too soft for you, so that's likely the majority of the problem. And I'm guessing the shock is in dire need of fresh oil. Do you know what the rate is on the fork springs? You're probably going to want 1.0 or 1.1 kg/mm up front. For a heavy guy like yourself, getting the right springs is the most important thing. Then, like you said, work with your track side service to dial things in.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
MITICO

Thanks HIS OWN 6 - I feel like I know the answer already but I'm going to ask. There's no way to know what rate's currently in there without asking who installed them or last worked on them, correct?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

The only other way is to pull them out and look for a marking on them. Most aftermarket springs are labeled, but I have seen some that aren't. Doesn't that Ohlins kit allow you to pull the springs without removing the forks from the bike? That would make it easier.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
The only other way is to pull them out and look for a marking on them. Most aftermarket springs are labeled, but I have seen some that aren't. Doesn't that Ohlins kit allow you to pull the springs without removing the forks from the bike? That would make it easier.
yes, you can pull the caps to gain access to the springs. if im not mistaken the ohlins caps use a special tool, but its fairly inexpensive. im sure a tool could be made to work, i just personally havent worked with any ohlins caps to say for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sig by milko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my build thread-

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

I would ditch the stock shock all together. After a few laps, given your weight, that thing just turns to mush and becomes overly soft. Invest your money in an Ohlins or Penske that is setup for your weight and enjoy some awesome response and feedback!

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
MITICO

What's your opinion and the main difference between a brand new / used Ohlins shock and a "Race Tech gold valve shock kit" with the appropriate shock spring?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Get Some..!

Bike: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miticale View Post
What's your opinion and the main difference between a brand new / used Ohlins shock and a "Race Tech gold valve shock kit" with the appropriate shock spring?
I also am interested in any feedback on building the stock shock with gold valves. I plan on getting into club racing next year at superstock level where aftermarket shocks are not allowed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in