Ohlins 25 MM Cartridge Question - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Ohlins 25 MM Cartridge Question

I just bought a 25 mm cart kit which was off a 2008 r6. I have a 2006 R6 and was told that the internals will fit with modification to my 06 forks. Does anyone know exactly what has to be done with the internals to make them fit in the 06 forks??

A shop told me that I need to get new fork caps to make it work, but another shop told me that I need shims???? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Shims. If you don't have a good suspension shop near you, I HIGHLY recommend Trackside Suspension & Engineering in southern Wisconsin. Very knowledgeable guys that race a couple R6s themselves on the regular. They know what's up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I eat my R6

Ask danQ on here he is Awsome

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
Re: Ohlins 25 MM Cartridge Question

TSE are a good group of guys or Velocity Calibrations in St. Louis.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

do not have a "shop" (as in dealership) work on suspension stuff, especially aftermarket. Scotty Ryan at TSE is good. If he's local he can help ya out for sure.
My guy is Thermosman. Only guy that works on my stuff. just box em up and ship em. He's in Woodstock GA. Only a couple guys in the country have been doing suspension even close to as long as he's been doing it.. I just sent one set of my 25mm 08 forks to him for freshen up prior to our 2014 season opener at Homestead next month (gotta love FL
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Shims. If you don't have a good suspension shop near you, I HIGHLY recommend Trackside Suspension & Engineering in southern Wisconsin. Very knowledgeable guys that race a couple R6s themselves on the regular. They know what's up.
I second this, heard nothing but great things about their knowledge and workmanship. I'm usually strictly a DIY guy but would not hesitate to take any suspension to them and know it's done correctly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
do not have a "shop" (as in dealership) work on suspension stuff, especially aftermarket. Scotty Ryan at TSE is good. If he's local he can help ya out for sure.
My guy is Thermosman. Only guy that works on my stuff. just box em up and ship em. He's in Woodstock GA. Only a couple guys in the country have been doing suspension even close to as long as he's been doing it.. I just sent one set of my 25mm 08 forks to him for freshen up prior to our 2014 season opener at Homestead next month (gotta love FL
)
I'm not knocking him in the least, as I know he has a huge reputation and knows his shit. It's more so the phrase that gets me.

But...just because you've been doing something for a long time, doesn't mean you've been doing it right that whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
I'm not knocking him in the least, as I know he has a huge reputation and knows his shit. It's more so the phrase that gets me.

But...just because you've been doing something for a long time, doesn't mean you've been doing it right that whole time.
trust me.. he has been doing it "right" the entire time (as you know). I totally agree that there are many that do lots of different things for a long time, and could be doing it wrong. Just doing something a long time does not make one an expert..

Thermosman is NOT in that catagory (just in case anyone else reading is not sure
). Quite likely the most respected suspension tuner in not just ccs/wera paddock, but AMA as well. You won't see him advertising. He is mostly word of mouth business and is always busy.

just a lil' history.. He and Max Mcallister were "Traxxion Dynamics" long ago. over 10 years. He went his own route. Ohlins USA hired him and he "worked for them" a few years, but likes doing his own thing. He had a very big hand in the JRi motorcycle shock development. JRi is one of the most respected names in shocks for car/truck racing.. but just recently with the push from Tim Godshall, got into bike shocks, and Mike "thermosman" Fitzgerald designed (for the most part) the bike shock that is now sold by JRi.
He knows his shit. No offense to recent upstarts, but you don't learn suspension building/tuning from a book or overnight.

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 01-09-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
trust me.. he has been doing it "right" the entire time (as you know). I totally agree that there are many that do lots of different things for a long time, and could be doing it wrong. Just doing something a long time does not make one an expert..

Thermosman is NOT in that catagory (just in case anyone else reading is not sure
). Quite likely the most respected suspension tuner in not just ccs/wera paddock, but AMA as well. You won't see him advertising. He is mostly word of mouth business and is always busy.

just a lil' history.. He and Max Mcallister were "Traxxion Dynamics" long ago. over 10 years. He went his own route. Ohlins USA hired him and he "worked for them" a few years, but likes doing his own thing. He had a very big hand in the JRi motorcycle shock development. JRi is one of the most respected names in shocks for car/truck racing.. but just recently with the push from Tim Godshall, got into bike shocks, and Mike "thermosman" Fitzgerald designed (for the most part) the bike shock that is now sold by JRi.
He knows his shit. No offense to recent upstarts, but you don't learn suspension building/tuning from a book or overnight.
ive heard nothing but great things about him as well. no first hand experience as i like to work on my own suspension but its clear to see he knows his stuff. nice to hear he helped with JRi, the more you are on here talking about them the more i keep thinking of picking up a rear shock from them some time. its either that or i buy the tools needed to re build my stock rear shock with race tech internals.

sig by milko

my build thread-

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
ive heard nothing but great things about him as well. no first hand experience as i like to work on my own suspension but its clear to see he knows his stuff. nice to hear he helped with JRi, the more you are on here talking about them the more i keep thinking of picking up a rear shock from them some time. its either that or i buy the tools needed to re build my stock rear shock with race tech internals.
nothing wrong with race tech stuff. I race "A" class offroad with my crf450r suspension revalved with race tech stuff. Obviously revalving the r6 shock won't ever get it to weigh as little as that JRi shock, and it liklely wont' perform AS well in some circumstances but you won't spend a ton either. It's crazy how light that thing is. Visibly much smaller body than say an Ohlins TTX (had each in my hands at same time.. )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in