Safety Wire Question - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Safety Wire Question

Anyone have this done on their track bike?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266-1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	180834  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Safety Wire Question

Only way I can see someone doing that is if they replaced the factory key/ignition with a toggle on/off switch. Seems they safety wired this so they don't accidetally flip it while on the track. Not sure if different racing orgs would find that acceptable or not though.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

you couldn't have it in place while racing, nor would you want it on while racing or even riding.. but it's a good idea, that i see done fairly often so you don't arrive with a dead battery when transporting the bike. Just leave enough wire length to clip it elsewhere when running.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
you couldn't have it in place while racing, nor would you want it on while racing or even riding.. but it's a good idea, that i see done fairly often so you don't arrive with a dead battery when transporting the bike. Just leave enough wire length to clip it elsewhere when running.
Why, people can still turn it off with the key. I thought the whole point of it was so you wouldn't turn it off onaccident on the track

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Why, people can still turn it off with the key. I thought the whole point of it was so you wouldn't turn it off onaccident on the track
Or in my case when you and your buddies take turn buzzing by and flipping your kill switch as they scoot on by.

Assholes.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
The purpose of a kill switch that is accessible with both hands on the bars it to shut down the motor if you need to. The most common reason would be the throttle is stuck open. Yes, the key will also turn it off. But taking one hand off the bars and attempting to turn the key while you are headed off the track at full speed is going to increase the likely hood of a crash.

AFM #77
Thanks for the support in 2017

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Make good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
Or in my case when you and your buddies take turn buzzing by and flipping your kill switch as they scoot on by.

Assholes.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
That's probably my favorite thing to do to my friends in the hot pit. Roll by and hit it. Or even better is when you are sitting at the grid waiting for your session to begin; as soon as the starter says "ok, go" hit their kill switch and take off.

AFM #77

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM

Bike: 2006 50th anniversary
I have that on my track bike with keyless ignition, the clip is only in place during transport so the ignition isn't accidently turned on which would drain the battery.

Sent from
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Make good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy350 View Post
I have that on my track bike with keyless ignition, the clip is only in place during transport so the ignition isn't accidently turned on which would drain the battery.

Sent from
But then yours would be the opposite of that picture, right? Look at the photo again, it's set up so that the ignition can't be turned OFF.

AFM #77

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Bike: 2006 50th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
But then yours would be the opposite of that picture, right? Look at the photo again, it's set up so that the ignition can't be turned OFF.
Yeah mine is opposite, didn't notice that in the pic. Not sure why you would want that

Sent from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in