First track day tips? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6 50th Anniversary
First track day tips?

Hello everyone,

I will be doing my first track day this season at Grattan Raceway in Mi. I was looking for some tips or pointers to help me out. Ive been riding my R6 for a few years now and riding motorcycles for quite some time. Obviously this doesn't mean I'm awesome (because I am not
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) I was just seeking out some tips from the community. Thanks a lot guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius
Re: First track day tips?

My best tip, dont crash.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Official Noob Greeter

And do the sighting laps. And take it easy, live to fight another day.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Outlaws Justice was Here

Bike: Yamaha FZ1, Yamaha Vmax.

Take a class first. I did my first track day in 2006 in N.H. , three weeks after taking the Total Control Class in NY. Was the best thing I ever did, I was on the track with a little 500 ninja (Smallest bike there) never been to a track before, and I had a ball, I was passing everyone on the track pretty much, since I did not have to spend time learning how to get proper body position, how to choose good lines. etc. I could focus on learning the track, brake points, etc. I actually got a racing license that weekend just to get the extra track time.

My Second Track day in 2009 at Pocono, making an outside pass on an r-6 with the little 1984 Honda 500!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

David
Total Control Instructor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MSF Rider Coach
MSF Dirt Bike Coach
SVIA ATV Instructor

Last edited by Outlaws Justice; 02-04-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F

All of those ^

Have fun. Work with, and listen to, the Control Riders. You can learn a lot about both the track and your riding. Start saving more money now...
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Official Noob Greeter

Take a shit before you put your suit on in the AM or you end up dropping your cuffs in the piss that is all over the floor.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

First, realize that you've got all day to ride. You will get faster and more comfortable as the day goes on. Let that happen as it comes, no need to rush things.

Ride at whatever pace is comfortable to you, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You're in the beginner group, so chances are that they're doing it wrong anyway.

And if the organization has instructors available to help you out, take advantage of it.

Have fun!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6 50th Anniversary

Thanks a lot. I like redisdeads tips. very practical :p and at grattan the beginners have an instructor appointed to them. The money thing is also a big thing hahaha. Ive already dropped a lot into her. Shes all set up minus aftermarket forks and rear shock. Ive told myself I am not pushing past comfortability (as I usually do) because I would hate to down on my first track day.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

Bring your entourage. It'll keep things fun in the pits.

R6/R1 hybrid
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR V1 steering damper. Brembo RCS 19. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. ATC adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. HT Moto Rear Seat. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Naarden shark fin. 14/54t 520 gearing. Intergrated rear turn signals. Engine Ice. Shaved wind screen.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
First, realize that you've got all day to ride. You will get faster and more comfortable as the day goes on. Let that happen as it comes, no need to rush things.

Ride at whatever pace is comfortable to you, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You're in the beginner group, so chances are that they're doing it wrong anyway.

And if the organization has instructors available to help you out, take advantage of it.

Have fun!
This.

I'd also like to add don't worry about getting passed; it will happen and possibly all day long.

During my fd, I was scared as shit as people zoomed by me, to a point where I'd almost shake my bars, don't do that. Also, don't getting irritated and try to keep up (like I did) as you will likely make a mistake.

Basically leave the ego at home, probably been covered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in