Why track fairings? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6 - Raven
Question Why track fairings?

I've looked through a lot of threads on here about who makes track fairings, what the pros and cons are of each, fitment issues, cost, etc etc. However, I don't see a clear reason as to WHY you would NEED them, except to save or sell your expensive OEM plastics.

I am tracking out my R6, and I am selling the parts/plastics that are not required for the track (check out my for sale thread
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
). I have looked at all the options for track fairings, and they range from $500-$750. I am not going to get near this much for my OEM plastics because you can buy a brand new whole set on eBay for like $475. Not to mention mine are damaged from a low side at NJMP.

Does it make sense to sell my OEM fairings and spend all that extra $ for track fairings? What is the benefit? What if I just seal up the headlight holes, seal the belly pan, and maybe buy a race tail? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus
Re: Why track fairings?

Track plastics are generally for guys that haven't screwed up their OEM fairings yet.

In your case, I'd say it's up to you. However, the other huge plus to the track fairings is that they are stupid easy to install/remove for bike maintenance, not to mention are much easier to repair in the event of a crash. OEM bodywork on bikes (Just not the R6) has a tendency to "explode" when crashed, especially with these newer bikes and the layered bodywork design.

But for track day work, there's really no need to seal up the belly pan or buy a race tail. I know a lot of track day junkies that just run rashed OEM plastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I eat my R6

You can always find a cheap, wrecked set if you're tight on money. Not to mention they are generally easy to repair if you know how to fiberglass (easy to learn anyways) along with the other points High Side mentioned. Fitment issues are really only prevalent when you get new fairings since it takes some lining up, drilling, etc.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Because RACEBIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I eat my R6

because this is much easier for fix and less expensive then broken head lamps and stock plastics.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sig by milko

my build thread-

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Because RACEBIKE
This too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by three3eye View Post
However, I don't see a clear reason as to WHY you would NEED them
If you are just doing track days you don't.

AFM #77
Thanks for the support in 2017

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by three3eye View Post
Does it make sense to sell my OEM fairings and spend all that extra $ for track fairings? What is the benefit? What if I just seal up the headlight holes, seal the belly pan, and maybe buy a race tail? Thanks in advance for your advice.
There are companies like optimal that sell complete sets of bodywork for ~$350. Or if youre patient... you might score a deal through classifieds or even strolling through a race weekend pit area.

The benefit? Fluid retention & ease of access. Sometimes you even find a critical fastener or component just rolling around the pan. Like my friend that lost his shift linkage and eventually found it in the belly pan.

Of course you can make your own fancy catch pan with one of those foil turkey pans & some zip ties.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

you can run the OEM plastics, but take out the headlights and sell them if they are in good conditions, should fetch you enough $$ for one trackday fees.

If you can find cheap/used track fairings, may be rashed up, but who cares, I'd recommend getting those if your plan is to track only that bike. Makes it a lot easier to take them off for oil changes, on track repair work, etc.

If you have good pieces, then part it out instead of selling as a set, may fetch you a bit more $$ for each part, but it may take a while before you sell all the pieces
Convenient it would be sell as a set, but not many want a full set that is rashed up, unless its stoopid cheap.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6 - Raven

this will be a track only bike. I got myself a 2011 Yamaha Stryker for the road
. R6 headlights, flushmounts, tail light, and passenger pegs are already sold. Got smog block off plates, so I'll be removing air induction system. At some point in the future: -1/+2 gearing, rear sets, clip-ons, umbrella babe....

I see how it would be less of a hassle to work on. I think those f---ing plastic fasteners are designed to break no matter how careful you are. But my rashed OEM fairings don't seem to be getting much interest, and not counting on getting a lot back if they do sell. Just thinking maybe save my money for other goodies rather than track fairings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in