Road Atlanta - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
GET OVER IT

Bike: '08 R6
Road Atlanta

Hey guys,
Has anyone ridden at Road Atlanta? What gearing are you using there? On my '08 I was using 15 &45 and at turn 7 I was stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. And down at turn 12, I couldn't drop down to 1st gear ( that may have just been cuz I didn't have the guts to do it though lol). On the back straight I'm full throttle 6th gear way before the halfway mark, I think partially Cuz of my issue with turn 7 and possibly I need a new map for this track ( I been riding mostly thunderbolt at NJMP).
What are y'all running? Thanks for the help!!

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ R6BLONDIE ~
That Yamaha...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus
Re: Road Atlanta

Stock gearing for Road Atlanta. Anything else [lower gearing] and you're gonna be bouncing off the rev limiter on the back straight. You shouldn't drop into 1st gear for any turn at Road Atlanta. If you have to, your entry speed is too slow.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

Like he said everyone I've talked to said stock gearing unless you're crazy fast

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6BLONDIE View Post
Hey guys,
Has anyone ridden at Road Atlanta? What gearing are you using there? On my '08 I was using 15 &45 and at turn 7 I was stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. And down at turn 12, I couldn't drop down to 1st gear ( that may have just been cuz I didn't have the guts to do it though lol). On the back straight I'm full throttle 6th gear way before the halfway mark, I think partially Cuz of my issue with turn 7 and possibly I need a new map for this track ( I been riding mostly thunderbolt at NJMP).
What are y'all running? Thanks for the help!!
Turn 7 is the slowest of all the RA corners except maybe the bus stop. I ran it last year with a shitty generic map & generic flash and could touch the limiter with stock gearing & a 15 tooth front sprocket. I would highly suggest you make sure your bike isnt laying down on the big end as thats a time killer on that section of track. And you shouldnt be out of the gas until you see the Arai sign on the right.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
GET OVER IT

Hmm.. interesting... this is very different from what I was told. Maybe I got mixed up for turn 12 with someone I was talking to on an R1.

I'll check out stock gearing next time.
Thanks guys!

Sent from

~ R6BLONDIE ~
That Yamaha...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Turn 7 is the slowest of all the RA corners except maybe the bus stop. I ran it last year with a shitty generic map & generic flash and could touch the limiter with stock gearing & a 15 tooth front sprocket. I would highly suggest you make sure your bike isnt laying down on the big end as thats a time killer on that section of track. And you shouldnt be out of the gas until you see the Arai sign on the right.
I would have to disagree, turn 7 isn't the slowest corner. Well, "slow" is a relative term, because RA is a FAST effing track!!!

In my opinion, I think turn 7 is the most important turn on the track, ESPECIALLY on a 600/SV 650's. If your drive isn't maximised coming out of there, your lap time is garbage. You absolutely need the best possible drive coming out of there to really make up time on the back straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
I would have to disagree, turn 7 isn't the slowest corner. Well, "slow" is a relative term, because RA is a FAST effing track!!!

In my opinion, I think turn 7 is the most important turn on the track, ESPECIALLY on a 600/SV 650's. If your drive isn't maximised coming out of there, your lap time is garbage. You absolutely need the best possible drive coming out of there to really make up time on the back straight.
My problem was my bike ran like absolute shit so no matter how hard I came off 7... other bikes just ran off and left me like I was parked.
After a proper tune the first dyno run showed I was down ~11hp off similar equipped bikes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
GET OVER IT

With the gearing I was using I took turn 6 in 3rd, and 7 in 2nd. 2nd was revving way too high and was difficult to keep the throttle steady, so the drive out was absolute shit. If I took it in 3rd I had barely any drive out into the straight, so it sucked.

Sent from

~ R6BLONDIE ~
That Yamaha...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6BLONDIE View Post
With the gearing I was using I took turn 6 in 3rd, and 7 in 2nd. 2nd was revving way too high and was difficult to keep the throttle steady, so the drive out was absolute shit. If I took it in 3rd I had barely any drive out into the straight, so it sucked.

Sent from
If you downshifted to 2nd just before 7... you should be able to catch an upshift as you hit the far side rumble strip. If youre trying to get into first... you arent carrying enough speed there. Other than leaving pit lane... you should never see first gear even running at 1/2 speed no brake pace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in