brake levers mushy - track day - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2007 R6
Question brake levers mushy - track day

hey i am new to track days, done three weekends totally
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. In my last track day I noticed that I couldn't brake with two fingers, my levers went closer to my throttle bar . My rest of the fingers were sandwiched between the levers and the throttle . Is some thing wrong with my brakes fluid ? Is it usual that the brake will become mushy after couple of sessions ?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1
Re: brake levers mushy - track day

Upgrade your break lines. That will help with fade. Change out the brake fluid until then and make sure you get all the air bubbles out. Don't forget about bleeding the master cylinder as well, not just the calipers.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

what he said.. start with a good fluid bleed. Chances are your fluid is quite old, and has attracted a reasonable amount of water. I change fluid every few months (racing). There is no need for expensive, fancy brake fluid on an R6. I use stock Dot4 fluid, right off the dealership shelf. DO NOT mix dot 5 with dot 4. Just stick with dot 4.
As he said above, ya may need to upgrade to steel braided lines if you are at an intermediate pace or better, and hard on the brakes at your track. The fluid gets hot, and the stock lines will expand a bit.. giving a mushy feeling and the lever comes back further. But start with a complete brake fluid flush. There are LOTS of youtube vids on how to do this, or search this forum.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks will change the brake fluids and try it. i have already steel braided lines on my r6.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
I eat my R6

^
What he said. You don't absolutely NEED to upgrade your brake lines but it will help. Flush and bleed the system with new fluid though.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

willl change the fluids and will update here after the next track day
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Sherman Connoisseur

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

Manesh
It's Ricky. I like using the Motul RBF600 DOT 4. Do a thorough rebleed and see how it is. What lines do you have?

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneshmotts View Post
willl change the fluids and will update here after the next track day
just take your time on doing the fluid flush. Or have a pro do it.. but it's easy, just a few things have to be done right. Also, do NOT fill the fluid resiv. all the way. Put it between the lines on the side of the cup. Filling all the way, can have it push out and pit your screen and paint as the fluid gets hot (fluid expands when it gets warm as we know
)

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

could always install a set of the stahlbus bleeder valves. my brake lever is rock hard, and i flushed/bled the entire system alone in about 4 minutes (and another 3 on top of that was installing the bleeder valves).
kinda spendy, but worth their weight in GOLD.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

hey ricky
I have galfer brake lines ..Thanks Going to rammy place this weekend to change fluid and bleed brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lover1 View Post
Manesh
It's Ricky. I like using the Motul RBF600 DOT 4. Do a thorough rebleed and see how it is. What lines do you have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in