Trying to get my knee down - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Trying to get my knee down

I've tried this weekend to get my kneedown at very low speed, but I just couldn't do it. The best times I've been about 1 inch from the ground with my slider. Mostly I think it's due bad body positioning. Should lean more over with my upper body I guess (kiss the mirrors)...Suggestions, tips? Let me know...

Next time I will try it with a cone to focus on....

Here's the link to the movie. My friend who was filming it was pretty pumped up for me as you can hear. It's in dutch
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 10.34.47.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	202138  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Get Some..!

Bike: 08 R6
Re: Trying to get my knee down

Knee down in car park is less cool than knee down at track...just sayin. Less time practicing knee down and more time getting smoother/faster on the controls IMO. It will come with more speed.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick(Crash) View Post
Knee down in car park is less cool than knee down at track...just sayin.
Totally agree with you! But I just want to get used to the feeling on low speed instead of experiencing it the first time on high speed.

My buddy also tried it the first time there, and did it just out of the blue. Or is it because of the naked bike vs R6? That you need more speed on the R6 to knee down?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

Just lean more. I used to do this in a parking lot. I remember going about 25 and just going in a constant circle. Just keep leaning till it touches or you feel uncomfortable. It is easier to get it done at speed on a track

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

The purpose of good body position is to make you use less lean angle for a given turn at a given speed. So if you're goal is to get your knee down the fastest, shitty body position is what you want.

Good body position is going to take away lean angle, so you're going to have to go even faster to require enough lean angle to get a knee on the deck.

Really though - you shouldn't be worried about touching a knee down. You should worry about riding your bike well. If you're doing things right, you'll eventually get a knee down, and it'll feel like a great accomplishment - but it feels even better to ride around the outside of guys who are dragging a knee, when you're not, because they're body position is awful and yours isn't.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Wink Re: Trying to get my knee down

um why?
What makes me laugh is when I show someone this bike

explaining its the easiest way to practice riding without having to go to the track they balk. Seriously...guys on liter bikes that could use a lesson in corner speed absolutely laugh at the prospect of learning something on "mini bike".

Heres how its done...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
The purpose of good body position is to make you use less lean angle for a given turn at a given speed. So if you're goal is to get your knee down the fastest, shitty body position is what you want.

Good body position is going to take away lean angle, so you're going to have to go even faster to require enough lean angle to get a knee on the deck.

Really though - you shouldn't be worried about touching a knee down. You should worry about riding your bike well. If you're doing things right, you'll eventually get a knee down, and it'll feel like a great accomplishment - but it feels even better to ride around the outside of guys who are dragging a knee, when you're not, because they're body position is awful and yours isn't.
^This
When you are focused on riding then the knee go's down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
um why?
What makes me laugh is when I show someone this bike

explaining its the easiest way to practice riding without having to go to the track they balk. Seriously...guys on liter bikes that could use a lesson in corner speed absolutely laugh at the prospect of learning something on "mini bike".

Heres how its done...

That looks like an awesome kart track. I did a supermoto track day recently and it was a ton of fun. I'd WAY rather learn about the limits of traction on a little bike on a kart track than get introduced to sliding the rear at 100mph on a big bike at a big track. The mistakes are going to hurt a lot less.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

Mgkt is awesome.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
That looks like an awesome kart track. I did a supermoto track day recently and it was a ton of fun. I'd WAY rather learn about the limits of traction on a little bike on a kart track than get introduced to sliding the rear at 100mph on a big bike at a big track. The mistakes are going to hurt a lot less.
All told you are looking at about a grand or so to get the bike as you see it.
You can buy an xr or crf 100 for about $400-$700. Been basically the same bike since 1995.

Used xr80 16"front wheel is about $100 ($230 new from honda for a complete wheel)
Tires & tubes are less than $235 BT45s
Jetting = $15
Box of crash spares (levers, bars, pegs) $50
Catch can setup $20

Above prices assume a good mechanical condition bike. These models tend to get abused by paper boy aged kids so keep that in mind when shopping

Now you have a parking lot racer that you can show up just about anywhere to practice body position, trail braking and other advanced riding techniques. If you crash... 99.9% of the time you get right back up and try it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in