As a new rider, what to work on? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

As a new rider, what to work on?

Been riding for a year or so now, track days for me are still a few months away.. Got some canyons near me, and I use the pace to practice but i've found that I constantly keep shifting my focus on different things. What should I focus on in order or importance?

My toes are perched like a bird, i sit a few inches back, i'm short tho at 5"6 so not too far. I flex my core to hold my upper body up and arms loose, holding the bars like a baby bird.

When coming to a corner, I stay on the outside and look into the turn for the apex while either braking or rolling off. I scoot my butt off a small amount, like half a cheek and lower my chest and head to the inside mirror. At about the same time I lower my upper body, I try to consciously make a forceful, but smooth input pushing inside and pulling outside, and look thru the turn. Am I supposed to look at the road as its appearing, or past the road, like through the "wall"? Once leaned and on my line I crack the throttle open, and roll it on slow, or hold it neutral depending on if i'm comfortable with my entry speed. After apex I try to do a nice smooth roll on while standing the bike up. Obviously not wide open, but I pinch it a little every now and then. Anyway, all this is really quick to me still, and I don't always get my mind to practice them every corner. Usually I focus on one thing at a time, like looking thru turn, or throttle inputs. What should I be working on as I go through corners? or maybe I should be working on my line building?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: As a new rider, what to work on?

Foot/leg position and keeping your arms bent.

Its hard to not sit in the middle of the seat on a streetbike ride because the track is the complete opposite. But you can practice setting your leg position to negotiate a turn so by the time you get on track it will be muscle memory.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Something that too many of us forget to practice is breaking. This is not something you want to learn how to do with a car turning left in front of you. I believe it was Keith Code that said 'If you ride 100MPH you need to know how to stop from 100MPH'.

Practice panic stops often.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Foot/leg position and keeping your arms bent.

Its hard to not sit in the middle of the seat on a streetbike ride because the track is the complete opposite. But you can practice setting your leg position to negotiate a turn so by the time you get on track it will be muscle memory.
I sit my junk about 3 inches from the tank. Can't wait to get some stompgrip or something.. hard af to stop from sliding during braking.
What I do is flap my arms every so often just to make sure my arms are loose.
By setting leg position, do you mean hooking my outside thigh into the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
Something that too many of us forget to practice is breaking. This is not something you want to learn how to do with a car turning left in front of you. I believe it was Keith Code that said 'If you ride 100MPH you need to know how to stop from 100MPH'.

Practice panic stops often.
I definitely need to practice this more. What I consciously do now is slowly grab the front brake and by slowly I mean pulling firmly until the front end compresses and then pull harder. Takes about 1 second to do.. sound about right?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Don't forget to be smooth releasing the brakes as well.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
Something that too many of us forget to practice is breaking.
It's important to take breaks.

AFM #77
Thanks for the support in 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
break me off a piece of that...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Pee breaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Sherman Connoisseur

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

I gave some advice in this thread you might want to check out. Too lazy to rewrite everything. I'm not so sure how helpful it would be since you are new, but check it out and if it helps, awesome!

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Don't forget to be smooth releasing the brakes as well.
I find myself occasionally holding on to the front brake going into some corners.. solid braking upright and then releasing to maybe about 5-10% braking and then leaning.. but I found some articles on trail braking and they mention tapering off AS you add lean angle. Is there a right and wrong way? or maybe one is better suited for the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lover1 View Post

I gave some advice in this thread you might want to check out. Too lazy to rewrite everything. I'm not so sure how helpful it would be since you are new, but check it out and if it helps, awesome!
Awesome.. thank you ima go thru this thread and take notes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in