Increasing rear from 45T to 46T - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Increasing rear from 45T to 46T

Hi R6 brainstrust
Q:1
I have a spare rear sprocket up one tooth from
(what I think is) OEM for my '06 R6 16- 45
I am after a little more punch out of the corners , I spend a lot of time on
a reduced short circuit track up
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
here in Oz with lots of tight corners.
Would one tooth make any noticeable difference or should I just stop drinking
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beer and loose 5 kilo's

Q:2
Running Supercorsa SP 180 55
Considering Supercorsa SP 190 60 for next rear do I HAVE to change rear shock spacers or can I just instal and ride , I would like the bike to be a little quicker in direction change.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: Yamaha R6
Re: Increasing rear from 45T to 46T

If you have the 46 tooth go ahead and use it! It will help, but you probably won't notice much of a difference. If you went down a tooth in the front there would be a noticeable difference. Every track is different, but if it's a tight track you definitely want to shorten up the gearing. It all depends on what you're after. If you want excellent lap times, you want to get the tightest gearing you can without topping out 6th gear before the end of the straight.

As for the tire, I wouldn't be so sure pirelli 180/60 will have better turn in than the 180/55. I don't know, I'm just saying because pirell's 180/60 is comaprable to other tire manufacturers 190/55. It says 180, but it's actually wider. I remember looking at the spec sheet for it a while ago. Anyway, I'm sure it would have better edge grip, so can't hurt. But the flipside of that is with the taller tire, your gearing will be taller again, so with your 46 tooth rear sprocket you'd probably be at a wash in terms of gearing. But for sure use the 46 tooth rear sprocket if you have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WMRRA #95

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

How much room do you have in the axle adjuster? Its going to shorten wheelbase but if you use a 60 aspect tire it might rub the bodywork or swingarm.
Like mentioned above... a 15 tooth front will have a more dramatic effect.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

Take a look in the paddock at what the fast guys are running for gearing. I can almost bet its stock, if not slightly taller. Why is this? Because the fast guys are carrying a lot of corner speed and the taller gearing helps maintain that through the corners. But, it does depend what track you're at too.

My first couple years racing, I ran super short gearing and my times were sub par at best. When I went back to stock gearing and extended the wheel base, I started coming into the turns faster, and carrying more speed, and my times dropped significantly. It was beautiful how such a small adjustment made a huge difference.

Give it a try though! I think you'll quickly find out what you like and what you don't.

If you want the perfect setup, you'll probably have to adjust ride height. But if you want quicker turn in, slapping on a 190 will do that. It's a taller tire, so it will make your turn in a bit faster, as your geometry is more ass up and nose down.

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 AM
WTF?

Bike: '06 R6

One tooth up overall is the ticket. I run -1/-2 to get there though. You can slap that 46 you have on to see how you like the ratio. If you do, when it comes time to replace the chain and sprockets I would convert to -1/-2. The slight increase in wheel base and decreased leverage on the swing arm with the smaller gear set gives the R6 some needed stability. Everyone will have a different opinion on this though.

My bike came with -1/+2 and I absolutely hated it on the track. I'm lucky enough to have a top AMA crew chief as my track day provider and deferred to him. If he can put an R6 on the top step, I do what he says... There is one course where I may try -1/-1 and play with going longer than stock, but overall I love the bike just one tooth up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwizard View Post
Take a look in the paddock at what the fast guys are running for gearing. I can almost bet its stock, if not slightly taller. Why is this? Because the fast guys are carrying a lot of corner speed and the taller gearing helps maintain that through the corners. But, it does depend what track you're at too.

My first couple years racing, I ran super short gearing and my times were sub par at best. When I went back to stock gearing and extended the wheel base, I started coming into the turns faster, and carrying more speed, and my times dropped significantly. It was beautiful how such a small adjustment made a huge difference.

Give it a try though! I think you'll quickly find out what you like and what you don't.

If you want the perfect setup, you'll probably have to adjust ride height. But if you want quicker turn in, slapping on a 190 will do that. It's a taller tire, so it will make your turn in a bit faster, as your geometry is more ass up and nose down.

I still don't know why people make massive changes from the OEM gearing for most road racing tracks in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Post count is gay........

Bike: 2006 R6 636cc SBK

15/43 gearing, 190/55 tire combo are pretty near the stock sprockets/rear tire setup. I love this combo, but I'm not fast enough yet to fully realize the potential.

"I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary." Lou Holtz

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.” Carlos Castaneda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in