My first official trackday race. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
V-twins Rock

Bike: 2009 R1 / 2009 R6
My first official trackday race.

I had my first trackdays race yesterday. I had a great time and the group of guys that I was with were great. I'm the guy I front of the camera guy. The MRA has a great program for riders who want to get there feet wet. I had a grin from ear to ear. Until I went off the track. The yellow SV took my line (I was going to try a pass, and his brake lights messed me up) and it was either hit him, or go off. Oh well, just chalk it up as lack of experience on my part. In joy the vid.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by armydog1002; 06-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:39 AM
m3lover2

Bike: Trek Fuel 90
Re: My first official trackday race.

So.. Trackday or a race? Guessing just a trackday
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM
I eat my R6

There is no racing at a track day. The only thing you win at a track day is another session. There should be no "racing" at a track day that's how people get hurt.

Edit: Looks like a mock race. They do those at jennings gp. I'm guessing just by the fact you didn't pass on the inside the times you had a chance it was in novice group? Good for you getting on a track just be careful it's more addicting then meth.

Last edited by r6trackhero; 06-22-2014 at 10:01 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
V-twins Rock

Sorry about the misinformation. At the end of the track session, they grid us up and the we start a race. So I guess it's a track day.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

they usually have a mock race after the trackday, last session of the day. Called the super street race. Its great fun for first timers to feel what a race is like.

Glad you had a great time

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Welcome to the addiction
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Nice! It's cool that they give you a chance to taste how much fun racing is so soon ... but also a little bit scary.
They give you any guidelines on passing or anything?

The guy filming definitely needs to work on his starts, just like me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
V-twins Rock

It was scary at first. We did go over passing. It's just that the brake lights on the other bike that I wanted to pass freaked me out. I need help with my starts as well. I wheelied my bike as well, and it caught me off guard.

Last edited by armydog1002; 06-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by armydog1002 View Post
It was scary at first. We did go over passing. It's just that the brake lights on the other bike that I wanted to pass freaked me out. I need help with my starts as well. I wheelied my bike as well, and it caught me off guard.
Did you guys have any specific passing rules or anything? Most of the racing in SoCal requires some form of new racer school where they spend a day going over all the procedural stuff and make sure you're consistent out on the track and comfortable with getting passed close. I'd be a little nervous to get out there and bomb into turn 1 from a standing start with someone who's only got a few track days under their belt.

The 2nd hand advice I got for race starts from James Rispoli goes something like this:
- Hold revs at 8-10k
- Pin the throttle when the flag drops
- Let the clutch at moderate speed, and modulate it to keep the front wheel on the ground

I have yet to master it - I just feel so bad for my poor clutch, but it definitely get you off the line quickly and using the clutch to keep the wheel down doesn't kill your momentum nearly as much as chopping throttle. It's also basically just one control to worry about, rather than worrying about mixing throttle & clutch (and rear brake?) in the appropriate amounts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
The 2nd hand advice I got for race starts from James Rispoli goes something like this:
- Hold revs at 8-10k
- Pin the throttle when the flag drops
- Let the clutch at moderate speed, and modulate it to keep the front wheel on the ground
I like this. I will have to remember this. My starts are terrible.

AFM #77
Thanks for the support in 2017

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in