Track guys- glasses vs contacts - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Track guys- glasses vs contacts

I've been having a slight problem with my contacts at the track. At speed I've been getting air up in my helmet and it sometimes messes with my contacts. Sometimes it happens when I'm coming off the straight going into turn 1 (or whatever turn on different tracks) but I have to blink like 10 times or straight close my eyes to get the lens back In the right spot. With this happening on almost all the tracks I've ridden I'm thinking about wearing my glasses but worried I won't be able to see through the corners like I can with my contacts when they're not lost.

Does anyone ride with their glasses instead of their contacts? And do you still have the same vision as you do if you wore your contacts? I want to try it but I don't want it to **** with my vision.

07 r6 track bike- full yoshie exhaust pc5 auto tune woodcraft rear sets ohlins 20mm valve kit ohlins springs smog block off plates light weight lithium battery bauce racing flashed ECU techtronics auto blipper Scott's steering damper and more to come.
09 r6- full Leo exhaust PC3 intergrated tail light flush mount turn signals
05 zx636- custom frame 09 Ducati 848 single sided swingarm custom rear shock mounts 09 Ducati 848 forks attack racing adjustable triple trees pc3 jumper mod custom subframe for 12 zx6r tail intergrated tail light backup camera with screen mounted in tank for mirrors vrod head light and still building.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:24 PM
make the snow go away!!

Bike: 2012 anniversary edition
Re: Track guys- glasses vs contacts

I've never worn glasses but I do wear contacts. Do you use a chin curtain or whatever they're called or anything to block air flow from under the helmet? That helped my eyes from drying out.

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I eat my R6

My last track day I wore my glasses and have a chin curtain. Didn't mess with my vision and had a great day. I've never tried contacts during a track day.

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

I do have a chin curtain and idk if it's the air or just me not blinking from concentrating so hard on hitting on my lines. I just feel like with my glasses i won't have the same amount of vision. It's hard with my contacts to remember to blink otherwise my contacts will dry out and start rolling around my eyes. I have a pic from Jennings on backwards day going through 12 on a regular but 2 on backwards day

07 r6 track bike- full yoshie exhaust pc5 auto tune woodcraft rear sets ohlins 20mm valve kit ohlins springs smog block off plates light weight lithium battery bauce racing flashed ECU techtronics auto blipper Scott's steering damper and more to come.
05 zx636- custom frame 09 Ducati 848 single sided swingarm custom rear shock mounts 09 Ducati 848 forks attack racing adjustable triple trees pc3 jumper mod custom subframe for 12 zx6r tail intergrated tail light backup camera with screen mounted in tank for mirrors vrod head light and still building.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Post count is gay........

Bike: 2006 R6 636cc SBK

I have the same problem with contact use during a trackday. Personally I'll stick with them and just keep putting drops in before each session. It's more important for me to see the exit of a corner than anything else. When I was ridding on the street, I did use glasses 100% of the time and there where times when I couldn't see through the exit...not cool.

Just my 2 cents.

"I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary." Lou Holtz

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.” Carlos Castaneda
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
nom nom nom nom nom nom

I've never done a trackday with glasses. If I am out of contacts, I'll just go without. My vision isn't very bad though and I can still clearly see flags and other riders without glasses/contacts.

I think a big thing would be the style of your glasses. Smaller lenses and you'll have stuff blocking your peripheral vision. I usually try to point my head where I am looking anyways. For your case, I would just try and do a better job of blinking. Blink everytime you get on the brakes or on the gas, on the straights blink every time you shift. Try to get into a routine. Drops help too.

The last couple times I had to wear my glasses while riding I remembered why I hate doing that: Fogging. Might not be a big deal depending on where you live, but for my commute to work it really sucks first thing in the morning having to leave my visor open (even the first vent detent doesn't let enough air in). Oh, and some helmets are absolutely horrible for riding with glasses.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:02 PM
nom nom nom nom nom nom

Oh, and what kind of contacts do you wear? I used to wear the 14 or 30 day ones that I had to take out at night. Towards the end of their use, they would always dry out easily. Since I switched to the daily throw away ones, I'll never go back. No contact solution to buy, cases to keep track of, less shit to carry around. If I ever get one that is bothering me, just toss it and pop in a new one and I am ready to go.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

I cant ride without any contacts or glasses I have zero depth perception and cant see 4 feet away without them.it sucks and my glasses aren't huge so they do sometimes give me a headache from looking down and my eyes have to adjust. I use the type of contacts that I can leave in and forget about (yes im a lazy ****) but I did just go to the eye doctor 2 weeks ago and they adjusted my prescription to stronger. heres an older pic where you can clearly see my eyes closed. I knew it was happening but after looking back and seeing this pic I really don't like the fact that im doing 120mph with my eyes closed. Not cool in my book.

when I was just at roabling rd I rode with 1 contact which sucked but I did ride better then I ever have with 1 eye but I don't want to take that chance at barber where all but 1 apex are blind. id like to at least see my markers for that track. I do have new fresh contacts that ill try Saturday at barber and if I run into problems ill try my glasses.

if there is anyone who does wear glasses could post pics so I could judged mine against ones that work on the track. thanks for the help

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

I wear contacts without any problems, never tried a track day with my glasses.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

I rode with glasses for years and just last fall got contacts for the first time. I pretty much only use them for riding. I still wear glasses the rest of the time. I have the same occasional issues you do. On two occasions a contact actually popped out. But I still far prefer riding with the contacts than glasses.

First, with glasses, the way the padding in your helmet is shaped will partly dictate where the glasses will sit. Some helmets I've tried on would just not work with them. They would sit to far off where I need them, or be too uncomfortable. With mine, it holds them just slightly forward, so the they don't rest on my nose.

They will move, and my biggest complaint was I was sick of them sliding forward away from my eyes. I was constantly coming into hot pit just so I could adjust them. And it seemed to be worse when I was really sweaty. Sometimes I couldn't even go a lap without struggling to actually see properly through them.

They don't cover my entire field of vision. Sometimes I wanted to look across the frame and have to tilt my head more to try and look through the lens. Or even worse, they started sliding off a bit and I'm forced look completely over the lens and deal with my horrible vision.

So in my experience, glasses suck and I never want to ride with them on track again. Although my vision is actually better with glasses. My astigmatism is not severe enough for contacts to be able to correct for it. But I only really notice it if I'm driving in the dark or in the evening. I don't notice a difference in the daytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in