Slipper clutch mod must have for racing - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: Yamaha R6
Slipper clutch mod must have for racing

I have to say after the slipper clutch mod, I could really focus on braking, rather than worrying about revmatching. Made a world of difference. The back tire would slide just a bit under hard braking but it was smooth and predictable. I won't say that this mod alone helped me shave nearly 5 seconds a lap, but it certainly helped by letting me focus on other things.

I did the no fingers/fingers/no fingers. Best bang for the buck considering I didn't pay a dime! Actually makes the slipper clutch a slipper clutch! Made me feel like a pro!

My advice is to do it if you're a racer or someone serious about shaving time of laps on trackdays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WMRRA #95

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 AM
Love my bike

Bike: 08 R6 & 07 R6
Re: Slipper clutch mod must have for racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefreak View Post
I have to say after the slipper clutch mod, I could really focus on braking, rather than worrying about revmatching. Made a world of difference. The back tire would slide just a bit under hard braking but it was smooth and predictable. I won't say that this mod alone helped me shave nearly 5 seconds a lap, but it certainly helped by letting me focus on other things.

I did the no fingers/fingers/no fingers. Best bang for the buck considering I didn't pay a dime! Actually makes the slipper clutch a slipper clutch! Made me feel like a pro!

My advice is to do it if you're a racer or someone serious about shaving time of laps on trackdays.
I couldn't agree more. Ant at Bauce Racing did mine in my last bike and will do it the new one I just bought. I don't have to worry about the rear wheel locking anymore and like you said, no need to rev match anymore.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefreak View Post

stock isnt terrible compared to a GSxR. What setup did you end up with? All the springs trimmed? 2? 1?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM
billdozer

Bike: 2011 R6

my stock slipper seems to work good, not saying that the slipper mod wouldn't make it better but i don't rev match and downshifts are quick and smooth imo...

Turboblew, he left one spring untouched, the middle one, and the inner and outer springs he cut off all 3 fingers.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill420 View Post
my stock slipper seems to work good, not saying that the slipper mod wouldn't make it better but i don't rev match and downshifts are quick and smooth imo...

Turboblew, he left one spring untouched, the middle one, and the inner and outer springs he cut off all 3 fingers.
Sorry I read it as he tried different setups.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill420 View Post

If it works well for you, that is all that matters. I try not to worry about what other people use unless it seems like something that might make riding easier, or better for ME. Always something to keep in mind. I try to do things in small increments also. Since I started racing this year I've just made small changes everytime out and it has paid off for me well in regard to improvement. Every race I've been faster and so has the bike.

Funny things like levers I prefer stock and see no advantage to aftermarket. My rearset is stock also. However I could benefit from raising foot pegs, since my tow sliders seem to be getting a little too much abuse. I'm getting aftermarket clipons because my last crash ruined the stock ones, so I look forward to playing around with different adjustments.

WMRRA #95

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

before you go hacking the fingers of 2 of the 3 "Y" springs, try one without fingers first. Or even cut half the fingers off of 1 spring. Yea, removing fingers of 2 of the 3 fingers reduces the engine braking by 66%.. but ya need SOME engine braking to get a bike to turn well. I would say even more so that if you are a uber-talented rider. Lots of slip, with very little engine braking, means you are relying on the front tire to scrub speed, or all front brake (and front tire) to get you slowed down and into a corner. Well, for many, that is just gonna lead to a freewheeling, near false-neutral feeling, where you are using way more front brake and front tire traction than ya might be comfortable doing.

i'm not saying don't do this mod, but those springs cost about $15 each if you don't like losing that much engine braking, so try cutting one first. And yea, I had Bauceracing reduce a mild amount of eb on my bike and i run 2 full springs, and 1 cut a bit.. but i like a bit more eb than some..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

With the mod done I still need to rev match a bit under extremely hard braking situations.

And like Greg, I really like some engine braking there for when I'm easing the clutch out. I like both feet on the pegs vs rear braking. I prefer to use the clutch as the rear brake in most turns.

I trimmed a bit off one spring, a bit more off the second and third one is stock. Works great!!

And +1 to custom engine braking setups to work with the modded clutch.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
before you go hacking the fingers of 2 of the 3 "Y" springs, try one without fingers first. Or even cut half the fingers off of 1 spring. Yea, removing fingers of 2 of the 3 fingers reduces the engine braking by 66%.. but ya need SOME engine braking to get a bike to turn well. I would say even more so that if you are a uber-talented rider. Lots of slip, with very little engine braking, means you are relying on the front tire to scrub speed, or all front brake (and front tire) to get you slowed down and into a corner. Well, for many, that is just gonna lead to a freewheeling, near false-neutral feeling, where you are using way more front brake and front tire traction than ya might be comfortable doing.

i'm not saying don't do this mod, but those springs cost about $15 each if you don't like losing that much engine braking, so try cutting one first. And yea, I had Bauceracing reduce a mild amount of eb on my bike and i run 2 full springs, and 1 cut a bit.. but i like a bit more eb than some..
awesome race vids melkman! How long have you been racing?

WMRRA #95

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Pssh, all you high-falutin', slipper-clutch-havin', third gen riders! Complaining about how "oh my slipper clutch doesn't work good enough for me unless I go in and cut it up and do all this fancy nonsense to my ECU to get rid of my enginer breaking".

It's 2nd-gen, rear-wheel sliding, slow-ass clutch releasing for life for me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in