Onboard footage from WMMRA Novice race round 4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: Yamaha R6
Onboard footage from WMMRA Novice race round 4

My footage:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is footage from Cameron Doyle's POV:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Race Report for Saturday and Sunday

Just got home from a beautiful, sunny weekend of racing. First time we had two full days of nothing but sun. Coming into this weekend my bike received some minor tweaks and I was still not really 100 percent. My knee wasnt hurting anymore, but my legs were out of shape and I had some mental barriers this weekend getting over my crash.

Saturdays first two practice sessions I could tell right off the bat, I felt off. My confidence wasn't there. I was posting the same, if not better laptimes for practice than before, but I was not doing it comfortably. My arms were tensing up and I wasn't loose on the bike like I normally am. I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but there was something not right. I was feeling really hectic and not in rythm at all.

Saturday race: gridded on second row, get a decent start going into turn into turn two in second place. By turn 6, I took Cameron Doyle on the inside for the lead and for a little bit I felt okay, although, I knew there was some serious competition behind me. It was kind of weird leading a race and having an open track for once. The last time that happened was in my novice 1 race. I went across the start finish still leading, but into turn 1 I was passed by Robert Stallman. A very fast veteran Novice. He got by me and I kept up with him until turn 13 and then I started to lose him. I was spent. I was starting to feel tense again like in practice and I could tell I needed to back off before I crashed. So the next couple laps I was off pace. Lonely second, except unknown to me Cameron Doyle had caught back up to me and was looking for a way around me. It was on the fourth lap I think he passed me back to take second. I didn't want to give up my position. I wanted to fight for it back, but I didn't have it in me to go back to race pace. For the rest of the race I just tried to maintain and finish it without losing anymore positions. I finished in third. Glad to finish and be on podium, but I knew I could do better. I had one lap at a 1:47 in the second lap, which is what I was doing last round, but I couldn't maintain that pace after lap 2.

Sunday morning I had a little spill in practice. I ran too far wide into turn 6 and stood up the bike into the dirt managed to slow down enough, that by the time I hit the guardrail I was maybe going about 8 mph. I was pretty mad at myself, but fortunately the bike did not sustain any significant damage. only cosmetic. I was okay, other than a small bruise on my knee from where the bike landed on top of me.

Sunday race: Ready to do well this time, I had a decent start, but so did everyone else! Came into one with four of us all clumped together pretty close. Dana Deeter was leading the race for about the first half lap, until Robert Stallman got around him. I was looking to get around Dana, but I kept making mistakes. Meanwhile I know Cameron Doyle is back there somewhere. I didnt get around Dana until the second lap on turn 12. Cameron also got past me on thenext lap and toward the end of the race I'm in third when Sean Cresap decides to pass me in turn 1. I was not going to let him run away and take it from me. After that I put my head down, but sean is not easy to get around. On the last lap I said to myself I will pass him and retake third. Going into turn 13 I had a better drive and was looking to make an inside pass but he was taking a very defensive line. I almost hit him when he got on the brakes, but I did get around him and made the pass. The problem was at the bottom of 15 we approached a lapper, and I wasn't sure if he was going to run tight into the apex or what. I hesitated and sean saw the inside was open. He took back 3rd right before the straightaway leading to the start finish line. I yook s wide linr for a better drive, but was not enough to get past Sean on the straight.

All in all great racing, but I was making way too many mistakes. And the weirdest thing is I wasn't using my slipper clutch the way I did in Round 3. I guess my brain is still stuck in survival mode or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WMRRA #95

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by racefreak; 07-29-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Onboard footage from WMMRA Novice race round 4

Ahhh race reports and footage! It's off-season for my club, and I'm getting stir crazy. Bike is all apart for maintenance too, so I haven't even done a track day for what feels like ages. Seeing race footage has got me fiending.

It looks like you're moving pretty good out there for coming off a crash. Don't beat yourself up too hard about it. Since you mention feeling 'hectic', one thing that I noticed in your footage is that you're almost always returning to the center of the seat on corner exit. I try to obey the '5-second rule' - meaning, I don't get on the middle of the seat unless I'm going to be there for at least 5 seconds. If I'm coming off a corner, and there's less than 5-seconds worth of straight-away ahead of me, I go from hanging off the bike, straight to setup for the next corner (aka nothing if the next corner is the same direction).

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Ahhh race reports and footage! It's off-season for my club, and I'm getting stir crazy. Bike is all apart for maintenance too, so I haven't even done a track day for what feels like ages. Seeing race footage has got me fiending.

It looks like you're moving pretty good out there for coming off a crash. Don't beat yourself up too hard about it. Since you mention feeling 'hectic', one thing that I noticed in your footage is that you're almost always returning to the center of the seat on corner exit. I try to obey the '5-second rule' - meaning, I don't get on the middle of the seat unless I'm going to be there for at least 5 seconds. If I'm coming off a corner, and there's less than 5-seconds worth of straight-away ahead of me, I go from hanging off the bike, straight to setup for the next corner (aka nothing if the next corner is the same direction).

CVMA #691

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post

I noticed the same thing watching my footage. This is my first time watching myself from a tail cam.

WMRRA #95

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Here is cameron Doyle's POV footage. I take the lead from him on first lap. He passes me back on lap 4.

WMRRA #95

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
I ride my wife and her R6

Bike: 2x'06 GSXR 750's

I wish I could watch this but I'm at work but I will definitely watch it later. Cam's a pretty good rider and a really nice guy as well. We're heading down there on Sat for the PSSR track days, I'm sure I'll see him there. If there is anyone heading that way, look for the Zombie Response Bus, I'll be in the little white air porter next to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in