more power from 2nd gen - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
ped
no R6 for me :(

more power from 2nd gen

How do I do it? I started racing this year and once I get into the top 7 or so I start getting left in the top end. Budget ain't big so no head work right now.

here's what's done to it

PC3 with generic fast by feracci map
GYT-R slip-on and I'm pretty sure stock header
ignition advance

what can be done in the interim to get the most bang for the buck besides u4.4 or MR12 and losing weight? Suspension and brakes are already built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
I ride my wife and her R6

Bike: 2x'06 GSXR 750's
Re: more power from 2nd gen

I would try a custom tune and add a quickshifter.

What about geometry?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

U4.4 is gonna be the best bang for the buck, along with what was just posted.. good tune and a quickshifter (if you don't already have a qs).

the 2nd gen motor responds very well to good cam timing and thinner head gasket (mid layer of oem gasket can be removed if you plug hole in head for oil restriction-your builder will know what that is).. but this is much more money.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
ped

melk-man I can pull the head off myself, any write-ups floating around on that? I found some racing gaskets but have no idea what thickness is safe. Quickshifter is coming soon.

geometry seems great and confirmed by thermosman (305mm rear, 18mm above triple front)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post
melk-man I can pull the head off myself, any write-ups floating around on that? I found some racing gaskets but have no idea what thickness is safe. Quickshifter is coming soon.
you need to know how to measure squish.. and what is a safe clearance. .45mm is typical, and usually safe provided you rebuild fairly regular. few are gonna just post or give out cam timing numbers. again, this is where a reputable builder comes in handy. i will only entrust my motors to a few.. and prices are reasonable for what is being done.
if you can get good cam timing numbers, and know how to degree the cams properly (again, not for a novice builder) it will wake up the motor, along with the middle layer out (about a .15mm reduction) or get a .45mm gasket.
Obviously, you will want to dyno tune the bike afterward.

kit gaskets are expensive. some decide to mill the cylinders the amount they want off.. this way you always use a full OEM gasket on rebuilds, but it's like using an expensive thin gasket (without the $150+ cost for the gasket every time).

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
ped

Im torn about putting too much into this bike versus getting a newer one. I can get a supersport head build with a mill job for $450 shipped back to me. but the motor has 30k miles on already and I'm not anywhere near comfortable doing the squish and cams. I know a good tuner (mark junge) but damn is it worth it for novice racing on this bike and my shoestring budget?

buddy of mine has a GSXR he's been doing AMA rounds with he wants to trade me plus $2000 at the end of the year. Thing is totally fresh and making 123hp with spec fuel. tricked out and mountains of spares. We just put the motor back in from the builder 3 weeks ago so I know what it is inside and out.

but spending that much will put a big dent in my racing budget.

Last edited by ped; 07-31-2014 at 10:39 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Im torn about putting too much into this bike versus getting a newer one. I can get a supersport head build with a mill job for $450 shipped back to me. but the motor has 30k miles on already and I'm not anywhere near comfortable doing the squish and cams. I know a good tuner (mark junge) but damn is it worth it for novice racing on this bike and my shoestring budget?

buddy of mine has a GSXR he's been doing AMA rounds with he wants to trade me plus $2000 at the end of the year. Thing is totally fresh and making 123hp with spec fuel. tricked out and mountains of spares. We just put the motor back in from the builder 3 weeks ago so I know what it is inside and out.

I've been meaning to start this exact thread. I've got an '05, and hoping to get my white plates at the end of the upcoming race season (in the CA desert, we run September - April cause Summer is too f'n hot).

I'm getting to the point where I'm losing a few bike lengths on the straights, or friends on 3rd gens are basically running up the back of me. ie, seems like a little more power would do me some good.

Basically, is it worth it putting money into a full supersport motor build, or should I just look into upgrading to a third gen? Cost-wise, I'm guessing the latter would probably make more sense, but I really love my 2nd gen and it'd be fun to hand out some spankings on old-ass hardware.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:

what year gsxr? and why would anyone with a bike that is as nice/good as you say, wanna trade for your bike plus $2000 if it is THAT good of a bike ?? i don't know what to tell you to do. I just don't see the logic of your friend giving you a bike that you say is way better unless he's being REALLY nice to you.. but is he ...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

30,000 miles is a lot of miles. DO NOT do any head work, don't mill the head, just cut the seats and install new valves (the valves on the 2nd gen are WAY CHEAPER cause they are steel, not TI). Just run a thinner gasket. Mark J. should be able to do this, but he is more of a gsxr builder, but i'm sure he done lots of yamaha's.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

i can't see selling a 2nd gen and getting an 08 or later 3rd gen without spending a LOT of extra money. There is NO SENSE getting an 06-07 r6. Trust me. I have raced the 03, 04, a pair of 05's, a pair of 07's, and a pair of 08's. The 07 was a DOG compared to the 05 or the 08, and even the 03 and 04 midrange. On the dyno my 07 WITH a supersport build made 15hp LESS than the 05 with supersport build , and barely any more top end. But on track, it would go faster at top speed due to better aerodynamics, and perhaps the lighter valves. But for nearly ALL tracks, the 2nd gen can be a VERY NICE BIKE, and for many riders, be an easier bike to go fast on. Expert level racers can usually make better time on a well sorted 3rd gen.. but it takes more skill to go fast on a 3rd gen than a 2nd gen.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
ped

it's an 06 gsxr 600 with a salvage VIN and mine has a clear title I know and have rode with the original owner and know every crash the things had. He owns a shop and can sell mine easily as a street bike and part out the race stuff. He wants to go back to racing SV's in the WERA pro thing next year. It's really not a fishy thing....hell I did all the paint work for it.

Thanks for the advice otherwise...that's what everyone has told me. I think I'll just get a QS, custom tune and some U4.4. If that don't get me up front it aint gonna be the bikes fault.

what about small shit like velocity stacks, aftermarket air filters and all that? worth it to mess with or just bling?

Last edited by ped; 07-31-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in