What's the deal on tanks & guards/sliders? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Quack quack

Bike: Ducati
What's the deal on tanks & guards/sliders?

Hi Everyone,

FNG to the forums stopping by to say hi. My biz mostly makes parts for Ducatis, but while we were vending at Laguna World Superbike, someone said I should make a plastic fuel tank for the R6. He says the stock tank is metal and also sticks out past the sides of the frame.

See, we make a
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Our next tank was going to be for 1098 family Ducati Superbikes. He said I should make one for R6s, so I need to see what you guys think. I'm pretty dang clueless about R6s other than they're faster than my S2R.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What years are affected? Are there families of years with same tank that are worse?

BTW, my last "R6" was a 91 fzr600. Then I had a sucka-II which was awesomely nimble & pissed everyone off...

Thanks for your thoughts,
Chris

Not really a Ducati snob. I promise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: What's the deal on tanks & guards/sliders?

The 3rd gen R6s (2006 - present) tend to hit on the side of the tank when they're crashed, rupturing the tank, and sometimes resulting in the bike burning to the ground.

See here:

Every race org that I know of requires tank 'sliders' to prevent this.

I don't own a 3rd gen, so I don't know how much of a pain the sliders are to deal with. But they're kind of ugly unless you take a lot of time or money to paint & blend them into the tank I think. Being able to just buy a different tank might be a nice option.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

The gas tank issue was fixed in 08, from what I've read it was only the 06-07's that has that issue (don't know about pre 06 or S models).

I run ETI sliders (not tested) and they are stupid simple to install and fit very well, and I didn't bother painting mine though...lol

There is another slider that a Forum vendors is selling (Chief) but basically covers the entire tank but is very snug to get one, from what I've read.

If you can find a nice price on a tank, that's an option too as these slider retail for $180+. At least the ETI's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
The gas tank issue was fixed in 08, from what I've read it was only the 06-07's that has that issue (don't know about pre 06 or S models).

I run ETI sliders (not tested) and they are stupid simple to install and fit very well, and I didn't bother painting mine though...lol

There is another slider that a Forum vendors is selling (Chief) but basically covers the entire tank but is very snug to get one, from what I've read.

If you can find a nice price on a tank, that's an option too as these slider retail for $180+. At least the ETI's.
My bad. If it's only 06/07, then there's obviously a much smaller market for it. The 08+ are the best platform for building a race bike.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6 Blue

Have had tank sliders on both my 07 and 09. Tested them on 07 and worked great. I would suggest laying something down on the tank though because the material scratches the tank paint

CVMA #691

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Motorsport Exotica

if you build it they will buy it…. Well at least I probably would. Tank sliders on the r6 suck and mess up your suit. I have a 08 and i said screw it. (just bought my second tank).

MWGP #203

--::::MOTORSPORT EXOTICA::::--
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

06+ in the cmra requires tank sliders.

eti is the top of the line at the moment. hit me up if you're going to be making something better.
i'm the "parts guy" for the r6 world... rider turned retailer.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Quack quack

Bike: Ducati

Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies.

Agg: you got hit up.

Thanks!
Chris

Not really a Ducati snob. I promise...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 PM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

As mentioned, people still run tank sliders on the 08+. So if this is cost-competitive with the price of a used tank plus sliders, then I think it could be popular. Curious what the weight savings would be on an R6 (pretty decent on the Monster, per your page).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

I crashed the ETI sliders. Very little damage and it was able to be repaired for less than $15 in materials. I also run a dented up stock tank so the covers make it look very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in