Harry's Lap Timer - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Harry's Lap Timer

Anyone have experience with it? or thoughts? Been looking at my options recently for lap timing, recording, video overlay etc. was thinking of getting this app with a GPS receiver

receiver - skypro XGPS160 GPS receiver (to enhance accuracy to 10hz)
case - optrix iphone 5 case (for mounting)
harry's lap timer app

thought this would be a good setup, what works for you guys?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Harry's Lap Timer

I used it a little bit without an external GPS. When it worked, it matched up with transponder lap times to within a few tenths. Everyone once in awhile it would wig out though, and say I did a 30 second lap or a 4 minute lap.

This was a few years ago though, and running off the phone's GPS. I imagine the results would be better with an external GPS plugged in.

Seems like for the same money you could pick up a QStarz GPS timer though, and not have to worry about smashing your phone in a crash.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

I've used it. It works better with external GPS than with the internal. But it is still buggy. And you are risking breaking an expensive phone in a crash.

Better to spend the $150-200 you are talking about towards a real lap timer. I was glad when I did.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Yeah I initially wanted the qstarz but then I need a gopro and software to do the overlay. $700 or so to make it all work... Small possibility to mess the phone up and with the optrix case it seems pretty safe.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanijon View Post
Yeah I initially wanted the qstarz but then I need a gopro and software to do the overlay. $700 or so to make it all work... Small possibility to mess the phone up and with the optrix case it seems pretty safe.
Depends on which GoPro you get. Should be able to pick up a Hero2 for $150-200. The new ReplayXD looks pretty good too, and is cheaper than GoPro. ~$200 for the QStarz, and I'm sure the software can be found for free.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:41 PM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

Harry's: $20
Case: $130
GPS: $150

That's $300 right there. And you are (1) risking your phone, (2) limited to only one video mounting position, and (3) using inferior software that often has issues. And with crap (to no) resale value down the line.

Versus:
ReplayXD mini: $160-200 (mount anywhere! get all sorts of camera angles)
RaceRender: $40 (to merge it)
Datalogger: varies depending on what you choose, buy used and you can resell for the same price down the road.

It's more upfront, but you get a lot more and you will be able to resell both the camera and the datalogger to make money back down the road. When Apple changes the phone dimensions again in 1-2 months, your case will be worth diddly crap
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a big fan of the ReplayXD mini btw, and I came from a GoPro. I think the form factor is significantly better for a motorcycle, and it's way easier to use with gloves on.

IMO YMMV yadda yadda
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 AM
My R6 eats me.

I have been using Harry's this year and it's a helpful tool. yea there's the risk of losing the phone, but i'll be upgrading phones soon so it will be the dedicated timer. If you are still using the stock rear cowl, the lap timer works even under the cowl. My friend had his phone mounted under the pillion.

Harry's was a little difficult learning how to overlay lap info onto external gopro video but it's doable, and I'm computer retarded. I did have one lap where it said I was going 485mph once, so it may be inaccurate occasionally but for the most part it's pretty spot on. Once I get more serious and at a pace where i need to know my lap times then i'm going to invest in a good timer. There's this new lap timer that also records lean angle coming out soon. For now just going to track days I'm fine with the App.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 CBR 600RR track slut
07 Ducati 1098S
07 Ducati Sport Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in