Novice Race Report from Pacific raceways! With on board footage - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: Yamaha R6
Novice Race Report from Pacific raceways! With on board footage

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First of all, I have to say thanks to WMRRA staff and all the volunteers for making this weekend one of the best I've had to date! I had so much fun, I loved the atmosphere at Pacific Raceways. Jeff Wieand did an awesome job commentating. Anyone who didn't show up to watch these races truly missed out. Lap records were broken, and there was great racing action in all classes!

Since I hadn't any real experience at Pacific, my only goal I had this weekend was to have fun. I knew there were a few novices who had some track time there from years ago, so I didn't want to set my hopes to high, just have fun. First practice session I managed to only get down to a 1:40...pretty slow considering experts are low 1:3x to high 1:2x on a 600. Second practice session I asked for some help from Rob Workman, an expert who has a lot laps around Pacific, and knows the track very well. What a difference that made. Immediately, I took off 4 seconds from first session and that was without ever getting a clean lap in without traffic in the way.

RACE 1: Had a good start, and going through turn 1 was a little scary with a lot of us packed in, fortunately, I was positioned to take the inside of turn 2, I got the lead for second, but ran really wide, and Cameron Doyle took me on the inside. I tried to get around him for the rest of the lap, but was unable to find a clean pass in the back half of the track. Coming out of the bus stop, I carried a lot more speed, jumped off the curbing and passed him for a short second until his liter bike power kicked in and he passed me back before the kink in the straightway. He pulled a little bit, but not a lot, and I was able to catch him in T1, taking the inside, and making it stick. After that, I'm leading the race. I put my head down for the next 4 laps, and just focused on not crashing or getting hung up behind traffic. Being the first to see checkered is an awesome feeling!

Race 2: Very similar to the first race, except this time we were going to do 8 laps! Dana Deeter set out to grab the holeshot and lead the race for a bit. I was able to take him on the inside of Turn 4 and after that I just set out to put in some fast laps before I got hung up in traffic, I knew that with 8 laps, we would get hung up in a lot of traffic. Turns out, the NV1 grid, which starts a few seconds after us was delayed, so I was lapping them within just three laps, and had some close calls, but fortunately, made it out okay, and still won the race!

All in all, a great weekend, even when we weren't racing, we were having fun tearing down airfence last night after the races were over and had a lot of fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WMRRA #95

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Smooth

Bike: 08 R6
Re: Novice Race Report from Pacific raceways! With on board footage

Very nice, congrats on your win!! No video of the second race?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

That track is awesome; so sketchy. I like how you passed that litre bike leaned over twice after he passed you on the straight.

AFM #77
Thanks for the support in 2017

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob View Post
Very nice, congrats on your win!! No video of the second race?
Nope I did not unfortunately. I forgot to to put the gopro on.

WMRRA #95

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
That track is awesome; so sketchy. I like how you passed that litre bike leaned over twice after he passed you on the straight.
It's an awesome track. Very bumpy, but I like it and most of the corners are banked which is cool.

WMRRA #95

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in