gearing an 08? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

gearing an 08?

hey guys, whats a good gearing combo to run on an 08 thats track only? ive got two bikes and this one will get used on the tighter tracks, i was thinking -1 +3 just to keep the bike in the higher revs, this is my first 600 track bike so im learning as i go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus
Re: gearing an 08?

Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Agreed. STOCK is an ideal spot to start.
-1 at SOME tracks but -1/+3 will have you blowing shit up. Myself, Mark Miller Jr. and a couple guys were running 16/44 at VIR this past weekend. Little slower pace, you would go up a tooth or two (16/45 16/46) as the bike may not be as strong, and you won't be carying the corner speed the front experts do.
but -1/+3 will not work on this machine for track duty. will you need other gearing for other tracks, and as your pace improves? sure. Have the 15t front on hand.

Anyone that bought a NEW 3rd gen bike, would have received a cool little book that discussed the origin and process the 3rd gen bike underwent in development. There was one page that discussed the choice for final drive ratio as they knew the bike was a track bike as much or MORESO than a street bike. The engineers had long talks debating 16/46 and 16/45..

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

That's some good info thanks. I'll check what's in there now and maybe drop a tooth upfront. I heard people say that the older r6 needed aggressive gearing to make up for a lack of mid range power. I guess this doesn't have that problem. I generally run top five in expert group at my local track so I'd like to think I do alright. I'll run what's in there for now and if I find her struggling through some of the slower corners I'll gear it then. I know that track has one corner that even bogs my thou down when I come out its just a slow decreasing corner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

If its incremental changes... you might look at a gearing chart. Most tracks have a "sweet" # like 2.85 or similar. You can look at this chart and see how 1 tooth off the rear has a dramatic affect on the ratio on the stock setup.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: Yamaha R6

It really depends on the track. I went -1 +2 and it's helped a lot with driving out of the corners. But it's ideal for only one of the tracks, but not for all of them. Another track I went to I was pegged out down the straight bouncing off the limiter heading into turn 1. Each track has a different ideal set up, but -1 should at least help with a better drive off the corners and unless you have a really long race track, it should help I think. But sometimes the shorter gearing can become a handful, especially for those few corners where you shift up a gear then hard braking and down a gear again real fast. Also, with stock gearing I find myself having to make an extra downshift to stay in the right part of the powerband, and requires more care when bangin down gears. However, it will help keep the liter bikes away until you get half way down the straight.

edit:I'm on a 2006, so take my .02 for what its worth

WMRRA #95

Last edited by racefreak; 09-26-2014 at 06:01 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 AM

Small track like GB remember...i am -1/+5 on my 99 and -2/+3 on my 04

Sent from
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Stop following me kellen you perv. I talked to Bevan and he said on Sarahs bike he runs down one and sometimes up one in the rear and that's for gb. I guess our gens just have a much healthier mid range than the older ones did.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Haha. Not much to do with midrange power imo, Just depends how much you want to shift and where you need to shift. Tim runs -2/+2 on his superbike...it's got really healthy midrange

Sent from

Last edited by kellen667; 10-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

-2 on timmys bike? that man must be changing gears every second and a half, lol. ill try down one tooth and see how she work. ill have her at tmp for one of the first track days of the year, see how she works in the infield there, i think turn 6 is slower than just about any turn at gb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in